0.12.6 dev6 with PNG EXPORT is available

Hi all,

I wanted to mention that a new dev build 0.12.6dev6 is available, available via the usual means:

<no title> — Bokeh 2.4.2 Documentation

Possibly of interest, this dev build includes the recently merged PR for headless, programmatic PNG export. It would be extremely helpful if folks could test this out. There will also be a PR for SVG export merged next week. Both of these features rely on some new optional dependencies (e.g. Selenium). The docs are not merged or deployed yet but you can see the instruction for installing these dependencies and using the export function in the separate docs PR:

Add user guide documentation for bokeh.io.export by canavandl · Pull Request #6292 · bokeh/bokeh · GitHub

Besides testing this very long-standing feature, general testing and feedback would also be appreciated. We are targeting ~June 8 for a 0.12.6 release. There are a few regressions (currently being worked on) but the best way to find any others that are not known is for the community to put their eyes on things.

Thanks,

Bryan

Fantastic! I've been waiting for this feature for over a year and followed the github discussions :slight_smile: I will definitely check this out. Thanks guys!

Corey

Thanks Bryan, great effort! This really enhances Bokeh’s applicability.

I did a quick test on Windows 10 64bit, using Python 3.6.1 and Firefox 53 (for my notebook, not the export of course). Exporting the PNG works without any problems.

Comparing it with the save-tool on the plot revealed a few minor differences. The title placement shifted slightly, and there is some difference in anti-aliasing, i guess both due to a different browser rendering engine.

Also, the save-tool “ignores” the toolbar and logo, whereas the export function does plot those in the resulting PNG. That does look like something Bokeh does. I can imagine a use case for both, personally i guess i don’t want the tools on a static output in most cases, since they only make sense when interactive. Unless you are perhaps writing a manual for your awesome Bokeh dashboard. If this is an easy setting, having both show the same default behavior might avoid some confusion.

Regards,
Rutger

···

On Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 9:09:58 AM UTC+2, omearac wrote:

Fantastic! I’ve been waiting for this feature for over a year and followed the github discussions :slight_smile: I will definitely check this out. Thanks guys!
Corey