Bokeh 0.10.0 Bar plot

Hi all,

I am trying to create Bar plot with grouping by some specific values. After few tries i finally created that plot based on a large amount of data. And I want to narrow view to latest i.e. 24 samples ( i’ve already done it in standard figure with drawing lines) because currently graph is not readable (see screenshot in attachments).

I also wondering why i can set a lot of params regarding axis for figure object (formatting, colors, ticks, etc) while for Bar plot not.

One more question is there any possibility to change Yscale as my bar plot contains also negative values as well as positive?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Hey,

small update from my side. I realized that problem with negative values is resolved in current version 0.11.1.

But the main problem to change x_range for view is still present. I tried to manually add FactoryRange as my x tickers are represented by strings, but I am not able to change view frame as it is possible for figure object.

Has anyone know how to change view frame based on string categories as x tickers?

Adam

···

On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 1:35:51 PM UTC+1, adam.p…@onet.eu wrote:

Hi all,

I am trying to create Bar plot with grouping by some specific values. After few tries i finally created that plot based on a large amount of data. And I want to narrow view to latest i.e. 24 samples ( i’ve already done it in standard figure with drawing lines) because currently graph is not readable (see screenshot in attachments).

I also wondering why i can set a lot of params regarding axis for figure object (formatting, colors, ticks, etc) while for Bar plot not.

One more question is there any possibility to change Yscale as my bar plot contains also negative values as well as positive?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Hi,

Could you provide a brief piece of code to reproduce what you have and your needs? Also, currently there are discussions to make Charts inherit from Figure so you’d basically have the same comon ground interface. For now it share “some” of the interface but for a few things it’s less straightforward. So the answer could vary depending on what you really need.

As for ranges. You should be able to set them accessing x_range/y_range (for instance: yourchart.x_range = Range1d(-10, 10) )

In order to access your axis instead you should use _xaxis/_yaxis.

Also, I highly recommend using > 0.11 version since there were several improvements from that version.

Thanks

···

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 3:37 AM, [email protected] wrote:

Hey,

small update from my side. I realized that problem with negative values is resolved in current version 0.11.1.

But the main problem to change x_range for view is still present. I tried to manually add FactoryRange as my x tickers are represented by strings, but I am not able to change view frame as it is possible for figure object.

Has anyone know how to change view frame based on string categories as x tickers?

Adam

Hi all,

Thanks in advance,

Adam

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

To post to this group, send email to [email protected].

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/466d2bef-5746-4912-9386-5e2f324a3c2e%40continuum.io.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout.

Fabio Pliger

Senior Software Engineer, Bokeh

Hi Fabio,

Thank you for your reply.

Of course I upgraded my bokeh library to the newest 0.11.1. As I wrote one problem related to negative values has been resolved by upgrade - bar plot automatically align view in order to show properly positve and also negative values.

In order to clarify my second problem I will post my code below.

def generateGenericBarPlot(self,transaction, outputPath, period=1, date=dt.datetime.today().strftime('%Y-%m-%d')):
   """Not implemented yet"""
   #data source for Bar plot
   cursor = self.com.establishDbConnection().cursor()
   innerSource = {
      'location' : [],
      'diff': [],
      'date': []
   }

for location in self.com.getLocations(period):
      output = # getting data from database where row contains 2 values - date, integer
      for entry in output:
         innerSource['location'].append(location) # location is a String like 'Madrid'
         innerSource['diff'].append(entry[1])
         innerSource['date'].append(entry[0].strftime('%Y-%m-%d %H-%M'))

plot = Bar(innerSource,values='diff',label='date',group='location', legend='top_right',title='Difference between QA_Commit and QA_Check times',
            xlabel='Time',ylabel='Difference [ms]',width=1200,height=500)
   output_file(outputPath+'/bar.html', title='Statistics generated')
   save(plot)

Well now i grouping per 3 locations and for example i have 2000 dates (ticks on X axis). When i am generating plot view frame contains whole range. Bokeh is trying to draw whole range of dates. I tried to narrow view frame to latest 24 samples (dates) by overriding xrange by FactoryRange but it is not working. Range1d is not a solution as my x ticks are represented by strings.

Of course I want to still have possibility to move left/right zoom in/out on a plot.

Is it clear?

···

On Friday, February 26, 2016 at 5:15:14 PM UTC+1, Fabio Pliger wrote:

Hi,

Could you provide a brief piece of code to reproduce what you have and your needs? Also, currently there are discussions to make Charts inherit from Figure so you’d basically have the same comon ground interface. For now it share “some” of the interface but for a few things it’s less straightforward. So the answer could vary depending on what you really need.

As for ranges. You should be able to set them accessing x_range/y_range (for instance: yourchart.x_range = Range1d(-10, 10) )

Also, I highly recommend using > 0.11 version since there were several improvements from that version.

Thanks

Hey,

Adam

Hi all,

Thanks in advance,

Adam

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/466d2bef-5746-4912-9386-5e2f324a3c2e%40continuum.io.

Fabio Pliger

Hi Fabio,

May I expect some guidance from your side?

Adam

···

On Friday, February 26, 2016 at 11:39:01 PM UTC+1, adam.p…@onet.eu wrote:

Hi Fabio,

Of course I upgraded my bokeh library to the newest 0.11.1. As I wrote one problem related to negative values has been resolved by upgrade - bar plot automatically align view in order to show properly positve and also negative values.

def generateGenericBarPlot(self,transaction, outputPath, period=1, date=dt.datetime.today().strftime('%Y-%m-%d')):
   innerSource = {
   }

output = # getting data from database where row contains 2 values - date, integer
      for entry in output:

plot = Bar(innerSource,values='diff',label='date',group='location', legend='top_right',title='Difference between QA_Commit and QA_Check times',
   save(plot)

Well now i grouping per 3 locations and for example i have 2000 dates (ticks on X axis). When i am generating plot view frame contains whole range. Bokeh is trying to draw whole range of dates. I tried to narrow view frame to latest 24 samples (dates) by overriding xrange by FactoryRange but it is not working. Range1d is not a solution as my x ticks are represented by strings.

Of course I want to still have possibility to move left/right zoom in/out on a plot.

Is it clear?

Hi,

Thanks

Hey,

Adam

Hi all,

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Fabio Pliger

Hi Adam,

Yes, sorry for the slow follow up, I’ve been caught on other tasks…

As you have a categorical range in your case you can just reset the range factors after you’ve created your chart. In the example you’ve posted you could add the following line:

plot.x_range.factors = plot.x_range.factors[:24] # 24 or whatever limit you want…

``

Hope this helps.

Fabio

···

On Monday, February 29, 2016 at 11:44:17 AM UTC-6, [email protected] wrote:

Hi Fabio,

Adam

Hi Fabio,

innerSource = {
   }

for entry in output:

save(plot)

Is it clear?

Hi,

Thanks

Hey,

Adam

Hi all,

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Fabio Pliger

Also… it’s worth mentioning that you should not have “:” on your categories text (in that case you should see a validation warning on your console).

Best

Fabio

···

On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 4:33:05 PM UTC-6, Fabio Pliger wrote:

Hi Adam,

As you have a categorical range in your case you can just reset the range factors after you’ve created your chart. In the example you’ve posted you could add the following line:

plot.x_range.factors = plot.x_range.factors[:24] # 24 or whatever limit you want…

``

Hope this helps.

Fabio

On Monday, February 29, 2016 at 11:44:17 AM UTC-6, [email protected] wrote:

Hi Fabio,

Adam

Hi Fabio,

innerSource = {
   }

for entry in output:

save(plot)

Is it clear?

Hi,

Thanks

Hey,

Adam

Hi all,

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Fabio Pliger

Hi Fabio,

Thank you for your answers. I am aware that currently there is a problem with ‘:’ character, thus i am using ‘-’ instead. About the range your answer is not helping me at all. Of course now i see in view frame last 24 samples but when i move to the left (to the past i see bars with aggregated information (see attached image). I want to achieve point where default view frame presents last 24 samples but whole plot contains more than 24 which are, lets say, hidden on the left/right. To be honest that functionality is available for default figure class.

Adam

···

On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 11:41:11 PM UTC+1, Fabio Pliger wrote:

Also… it’s worth mentioning that you should not have “:” on your categories text (in that case you should see a validation warning on your console).

Best

Fabio

Hi Adam,

``

Hope this helps.

Fabio

On Monday, February 29, 2016 at 11:44:17 AM UTC-6, adam.p…@onet.eu wrote:

Hi Fabio,

Adam

Hi Fabio,

innerSource = {
   }

for entry in output:

save(plot)

Is it clear?

Hi,

Thanks

Hey,

Adam

Hi all,

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Fabio Pliger

Hi Adam,

Sorry but I’m a bit confused at this point. Can you show the code using Figure that let’s you accomplish what you need? It would be extremely helpful to understand what you need and the elements involved. So we can hopefully come with a better suggestion for your use case.

Thank you

Fabio

···

On Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 1:15:18 AM UTC-6, [email protected] wrote:

Hi Fabio,

Thank you for your answers. I am aware that currently there is a problem with ‘:’ character, thus i am using ‘-’ instead. About the range your answer is not helping me at all. Of course now i see in view frame last 24 samples but when i move to the left (to the past i see bars with aggregated information (see attached image). I want to achieve point where default view frame presents last 24 samples but whole plot contains more than 24 which are, lets say, hidden on the left/right. To be honest that functionality is available for default figure class.

Adam

Best

Fabio

Hi Adam,

``

Hope this helps.

Fabio

Hi Fabio,

Adam

Hi Fabio,

innerSource = {
   }

for entry in output:

save(plot)

Is it clear?

Hi,

Thanks

Hey,

Adam

Hi all,

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Fabio Pliger

Hi Fabio,

Sorry for that, but I forgot add that part of code. I know that is much better to understand when you have a piece of code.

So for figure I have following code:

def setPlotStyles(self,figure):
“”“sets styles for plot passed as parameter”“”
self.log.info(‘Setting plot style.’)
figure.title_text_font_size = ‘14pt’
figure.yaxis.axis_label_text_font_size = ‘14pt’
figure.xaxis.axis_label_text_font_size = ‘14pt’
figure.yaxis.axis_line_width = 1.5
figure.yaxis.axis_line_color = ‘grey’
figure.xaxis.axis_line_width = 1.5
figure.xaxis.axis_line_color = ‘grey’
figure.xaxis.major_label_orientation = pi/4
figure.xaxis[0].ticker = DatetimeTicker()
figure.xaxis[0].formatter = DatetimeTickFormatter(formats=dict(hours=[‘%H:%M’]))
figure.xaxis[0].ticker.desired_num_ticks = 20
figure.xaxis[0].ticker.num_minor_ticks = 15
figure.yaxis[0].formatter = NumeralTickFormatter(format=‘0’)
figure.x_range = Range1d(start=dt.date.today(), end = dt.date.today()+dt.timedelta(1)) #this line sets view frame window for current day
figure.xaxis.axis_label = ‘Execution time’
return figure

plot = figure(plot_width=1200,plot_height=500,title=title,tools=[TOOLS],toolbar_location=‘left’, logo=‘grey’)

plot = self.setPlotStyles(plot)

#after setting range I am filling ColumnDataSources and draw lines on my plot.
plot.line()

How it looks by default, when i just generated plot is:

When I moved to the left i can see other data (which was provided to ColumnDataSource)

The same I want to achieve for my Bar plot. I want to have default view (after generation) for current day (whole 24 hours) and have possibility to move to left and check historic data from previous days (of course data for that are passed as source)/

Thanks,

Adam

···

On Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 5:55:05 PM UTC+1, Fabio Pliger wrote:

Hi Adam,

Sorry but I’m a bit confused at this point. Can you show the code using Figure that let’s you accomplish what you need? It would be extremely helpful to understand what you need and the elements involved. So we can hopefully come with a better suggestion for your use case.

Thank you

Fabio

On Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 1:15:18 AM UTC-6, adam.p…@onet.eu wrote:

Hi Fabio,

Adam

Best

Fabio

Hi Adam,

``

Hope this helps.

Fabio

Hi Fabio,

Adam

Hi Fabio,

innerSource = {
   }

for entry in output:

save(plot)

Is it clear?

Hi,

Thanks

Hey,

Adam

Hi all,

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Fabio Pliger

Hi Adam,

The problem here is that when working with the plot interface you are using dates while with the charts interface you are using Factors. The first has start/end while the later doesn’t since it’s there no real “sorting” and no definition start/end. This excludes the possibility to limit the categorical axis as you’d like. Have you tried to use the dates objects on the Bar Chart label? If so you should have the same type of range and axis and you can apply the same tweaks.

Fabio

···

On Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 12:13:07 PM UTC-6, [email protected] wrote:

Hi Fabio,

Sorry for that, but I forgot add that part of code. I know that is much better to understand when you have a piece of code.

figure.xaxis[0].formatter = DatetimeTickFormatter(formats=dict(hours=[‘%H:%M’]))
figure.x_range = Range1d(start=dt.date.today(), end = dt.date.today()+dt.timedelta(1)) #this line sets view frame window for current day
return figure

plot = figure(plot_width=1200,plot_height=500,title=title,tools=[TOOLS],toolbar_location=‘left’, logo=‘grey’)

plot.line()

When I moved to the left i can see other data (which was provided to ColumnDataSource)

The same I want to achieve for my Bar plot. I want to have default view (after generation) for current day (whole 24 hours) and have possibility to move to left and check historic data from previous days (of course data for that are passed as source)/

Thanks,

Adam

Hi Adam,

Thank you

Fabio

Hi Fabio,

Adam

Best

Fabio

Hi Adam,

``

Hope this helps.

Fabio

Hi Fabio,

Adam

Hi Fabio,

innerSource = {
   }

for entry in output:

save(plot)

Is it clear?

Hi,

Thanks

Hey,

Adam

Hi all,

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Fabio Pliger

Hi Fabio,

It seems it is not possible to handle datetime in xaxis.

File “C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\bokeh\charts\builder\bar_builder.py”, line 99, in Bar

return create_and_build(BarBuilder, data, **kw)

File “C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\bokeh\charts_builder.py”, line 64, in create_and_build

chart.add_builder(builder)

File “C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\bokeh\charts_chart.py”, line 134, in add_builder

builder.create(self)

File “C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\bokeh\charts_builder.py”, line 303, in create

chart.add_renderers(self, renderers)

File “C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\bokeh\charts_chart.py”, line 129, in add_renderers

self.renderers += renderers

File “C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\bokeh\charts\builder\bar_builder.py”, line 215, in _yield_renderers

for group in self._data.groupby(**self.attributes):

File “C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\bokeh\charts_data_source.py”, line 134, in groupby

attrs[spec_name] = spec[label]

File “C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\bokeh\charts_attributes.py”, line 124, in getitem

return self.attr_map[self._ensure_tuple(item)]

KeyError: (Timestamp(‘2016-02-29 14:00:00’),)

···

On Friday, March 4, 2016 at 6:45:08 PM UTC+1, Fabio Pliger wrote:

Hi Adam,

The problem here is that when working with the plot interface you are using dates while with the charts interface you are using Factors. The first has start/end while the later doesn’t since it’s there no real “sorting” and no definition start/end. This excludes the possibility to limit the categorical axis as you’d like. Have you tried to use the dates objects on the Bar Chart label? If so you should have the same type of range and axis and you can apply the same tweaks.

Fabio

On Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 12:13:07 PM UTC-6, adam.p…@onet.eu wrote:

Hi Fabio,

return figure

plot.line()

Thanks,

Adam

Hi Adam,

Thank you

Fabio

Hi Fabio,

Adam

Best

Fabio

Hi Adam,

``

Hope this helps.

Fabio

Hi Fabio,

Adam

Hi Fabio,

innerSource = {
   }

for entry in output:

save(plot)

Is it clear?

Hi,

Thanks

Hey,

Adam

Hi all,

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Fabio Pliger

Ok. This should be a bug. Could you open an issue with reproducible code so we can discuss/track it?

Unfortunately, with this bug I can’t think of a immediate way to do what you need (limit the first visible x range window when plot shows) using a Bar chart.

Thank you

···

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 1:27 AM, [email protected] wrote:

Hi Fabio,

It seems it is not possible to handle datetime in xaxis.

File “C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\bokeh\charts\builder\bar_builder.py”, line 99, in Bar

return create_and_build(BarBuilder, data, **kw)

File “C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\bokeh\charts_builder.py”, line 64, in create_and_build

chart.add_builder(builder)

File “C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\bokeh\charts_chart.py”, line 134, in add_builder

builder.create(self)

File “C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\bokeh\charts_builder.py”, line 303, in create

chart.add_renderers(self, renderers)

File “C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\bokeh\charts_chart.py”, line 129, in add_renderers

self.renderers += renderers

File “C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\bokeh\charts\builder\bar_builder.py”, line 215, in _yield_renderers

for group in self._data.groupby(**self.attributes):

File “C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\bokeh\charts_data_source.py”, line 134, in groupby

attrs[spec_name] = spec[label]

File “C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\bokeh\charts_attributes.py”, line 124, in getitem

return self.attr_map[self._ensure_tuple(item)]

KeyError: (Timestamp(‘2016-02-29 14:00:00’),)

On Friday, March 4, 2016 at 6:45:08 PM UTC+1, Fabio Pliger wrote:

Hi Adam,

Fabio

On Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 12:13:07 PM UTC-6, adam.p…@onet.eu wrote:

Hi Fabio,

return figure

plot.line()

Thanks,

Adam

Hi Adam,

Thank you

Fabio

Hi Fabio,

Adam

Best

Fabio

Hi Adam,

``

Hope this helps.

Fabio

Hi Fabio,

Adam

Hi Fabio,

innerSource = {
   }

for entry in output:

save(plot)

Is it clear?

Hi,

Thanks

Hey,

Adam

Hi all,

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Fabio Pliger

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/53050a7d-236c-4ec8-b98c-e7a90a3e44f0%40continuum.io.

Fabio Pliger