[bokeh] Make Bokeh server 0.11 work on Windows

All the examples have been tested in Windows to the extent we are capable. If you are having a problem, then much more specific information about your platform, browsers, and Python environment, as well as how things are failing (console or browser console logs etc) will be needed in order to try and help you.

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On Jan 26, 2016, at 07:10, [email protected] wrote:

Hello, I am trying to use Bokeh 0.11 so I am trying to make demos works on my computer.

I would like to know if the bokeh server runs on Windows because I don’t manage to execute the following line :

bokeh serve --show weather.py

``

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

To post to this group, send email to [email protected].

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/36eaf911-08a4-4015-ba13-d0da377ec00f%40continuum.io.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout.

The thing is the bokeh command wasn’t found but I simply manage to make it run by passing the path of the bokeh file to the command line.

Another problem I meet now is the module scipy is not found on my computer. Using pip, it seems relatively complex to make the weather example run. Actually I would like a downsampling example because it’s what I need for my work. Have you any good example (not based on NumPy or SciPy) which show how to use the new version of the bokeh server to downsample ?

···

Le mardi 26 janvier 2016 14:18:45 UTC+1, Bryan Van de ven a écrit :

All the examples have been tested in Windows to the extent we are capable. If you are having a problem, then much more specific information about your platform, browsers, and Python environment, as well as how things are failing (console or browser console logs etc) will be needed in order to try and help you.

Thanks,

Bryan

Hello, I am trying to use Bokeh 0.11 so I am trying to make demos works on my computer.

I would like to know if the bokeh server runs on Windows because I don’t manage to execute the following line :

``

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/36eaf911-08a4-4015-ba13-d0da377ec00f%40continuum.io.

The thing is the bokeh command wasn't found but I simply manage to make it run by passing the path of the bokeh file to the command line.

And then what happened? Bokeh is a large, mutli-language, cross-platform, cross-browser library and "not working" can mean any number of things. Maybe you have an installation issue, or maybe there is a bug, or some workaround is needed, but I can't speculate because you have not yet stated the manner in which things are not working, or given any details at all. How did you install Bokeh? What version of windows are you on? What version of python are you running, and what version of all the dependencies are installed? Are you using virtualenv? What is the path to the "bokeh" command you ran? How *exactly* did you run it? What was your environment (e.g., PYTHONPATH set?) Is there any console output? Does a browser open at all? If, so is it completely blank, or does it have some content, that is just not correct in some way? Screenshots are helpful! Is there any browser JS console output? Is there a difference on other browsers? Other platforms?

In order to diagnose a problem, especially in a case like this, we have to be able to reproduce it first, which means we must have *as much information as you can possibly give*. Otherwise, we have nothing to go on and cannot even begin to offer suggestions.

Another problem I meet now is the module scipy is not found on my computer. Using pip, it seems relatively complex to make the weather example run. Actually I would like a downsampling example because it's what I need for my work. Have you any good example (not based on NumPy or SciPy) which show how to use the new version of the bokeh server to downsample ?

NumPy is a hard dependency of Bokeh, it is used internally in the implementation. If you need to use the Scientific Python stack, *especially* on Windows, I personally very highly recommend you use the free Anaconda distribution + conda (https://www.continuum.io/downloads\), instead of just pip, since it installs pre-built binary versions of many difficult-to-build packages like NumPy and SciPy, and they just work our of the box. Admittedly, I have a particular point of view (I am employed by Continuum).

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On Jan 26, 2016, at 7:42 AM, [email protected] wrote:

Thanks,

Bryan

On Jan 26, 2016, at 07:10, alec...@gmail.com wrote:

I would like to know if the bokeh server runs on Windows because I don't manage to execute the following line :

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to bokeh+un...@continuum.io.
To post to this group, send email to bo...@continuum.io.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/36eaf911-08a4-4015-ba13-d0da377ec00f%40continuum.io\.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout\.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/5ff5e52e-da19-4b03-9388-3f34d50eb44a%40continuum.io\.

Thanks for your reply Bryan. Actually, I didn’t give such an amount of details because the fact that it “wasn’t working” was my fault. It’s why I quickly removed my post in the mailing list. The problem wasn’t a bug. The problem was when I ran the ‘bokeh serve’ command, the ‘bokeh’ command wasn’t found because my system wasn’t able to find the bokeh file. This is why I didnt give you a lot of details and why I removed my post. Because it was a silly problem made by a silly and too rushed young developer.

But be sure I totally understand that when a user say “it doesn’t work”, you need to know the context to find the reason why. And be sure that I would give you more details if I got a “real” problem.

Following your response about NumPy, I seriously think about using Anaconda. It would be simplier. And before post (and quickly remove) a topic for a problem, be sure I will search a little more.

Thanks again and sorry for the lost of time

Alec

···

Le mardi 26 janvier 2016 15:05:06 UTC+1, Bryan Van de ven a écrit :

On Jan 26, 2016, at 7:42 AM, [email protected] wrote:

The thing is the bokeh command wasn’t found but I simply manage to make it run by passing the path of the bokeh file to the command line.

And then what happened? Bokeh is a large, mutli-language, cross-platform, cross-browser library and “not working” can mean any number of things. Maybe you have an installation issue, or maybe there is a bug, or some workaround is needed, but I can’t speculate because you have not yet stated the manner in which things are not working, or given any details at all. How did you install Bokeh? What version of windows are you on? What version of python are you running, and what version of all the dependencies are installed? Are you using virtualenv? What is the path to the “bokeh” command you ran? How exactly did you run it? What was your environment (e.g., PYTHONPATH set?) Is there any console output? Does a browser open at all? If, so is it completely blank, or does it have some content, that is just not correct in some way? Screenshots are helpful! Is there any browser JS console output? Is there a difference on other browsers? Other platforms?

In order to diagnose a problem, especially in a case like this, we have to be able to reproduce it first, which means we must have as much information as you can possibly give. Otherwise, we have nothing to go on and cannot even begin to offer suggestions.

Another problem I meet now is the module scipy is not found on my computer. Using pip, it seems relatively complex to make the weather example run. Actually I would like a downsampling example because it’s what I need for my work. Have you any good example (not based on NumPy or SciPy) which show how to use the new version of the bokeh server to downsample ?

NumPy is a hard dependency of Bokeh, it is used internally in the implementation. If you need to use the Scientific Python stack, especially on Windows, I personally very highly recommend you use the free Anaconda distribution + conda (https://www.continuum.io/downloads), instead of just pip, since it installs pre-built binary versions of many difficult-to-build packages like NumPy and SciPy, and they just work our of the box. Admittedly, I have a particular point of view (I am employed by Continuum).

Thanks,

Bryan

Thanks,

Bryan

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/5ff5e52e-da19-4b03-9388-3f34d50eb44a%40continuum.io.

No worries and no apologies needed, we want Bokeh to work great for and serve as many people as it can. Chances are if it was hard for you to find the command on Windows, it might be for others, too. None of the current core devs are Windows users, so I can certainly believe our build/packaging for Windows could stand improvement. If there's anything we can do to make things better or simpler, please let us know.

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On Jan 26, 2016, at 8:20 AM, [email protected] wrote:

Thanks for your reply Bryan. Actually, I didn't give such an amount of details because the fact that it "wasn't working" was my fault. It's why I quickly removed my post in the mailing list. The problem wasn't a bug. The problem was when I ran the 'bokeh serve' command, the 'bokeh' command wasn't found because my system wasn't able to find the bokeh file. This is why I didnt give you a lot of details and why I removed my post. Because it was a silly problem made by a silly and too rushed young developer.

But be sure I totally understand that when a user say "it doesn't work", you need to know the context to find the reason why. And be sure that I would give you more details if I got a "real" problem.

Following your response about NumPy, I seriously think about using Anaconda. It would be simplier. And before post (and quickly remove) a topic for a problem, be sure I will search a little more.

If I may, when installing Anaconda, “bokeh” will appear on the path and be accessible. That is not the case if we just pip install or build from source. I’m not aware of a way to automatically solve this issue… other than a script that would add bokeh to the path after the build… And that would probably be a manual operation.

···

2016-01-26 9:41 GMT-05:00 Bryan Van de Ven [email protected]:

Thanks for your reply Bryan. Actually, I didn’t give such an amount of details because the fact that it “wasn’t working” was my fault. It’s why I quickly removed my post in the mailing list. The problem wasn’t a bug. The problem was when I ran the ‘bokeh serve’ command, the ‘bokeh’ command wasn’t found because my system wasn’t able to find the bokeh file. This is why I didnt give you a lot of details and why I removed my post. Because it was a silly problem made by a silly and too rushed young developer.

But be sure I totally understand that when a user say “it doesn’t work”, you need to know the context to find the reason why. And be sure that I would give you more details if I got a “real” problem.

No worries and no apologies needed, we want Bokeh to work great for and serve as many people as it can. Chances are if it was hard for you to find the command on Windows, it might be for others, too. None of the current core devs are Windows users, so I can certainly believe our build/packaging for Windows could stand improvement. If there’s anything we can do to make things better or simpler, please let us know.

Thanks,

Bryan

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/35880276-1E16-4D20-9039-67BC5D13C960%40continuum.io.

Christian Tremblay, ing.

Tél : 450-305-6177, 225

Cell : 450-577-0538

Courriel : [email protected]

Prenez

**le contrôle **de votre bâtiment

Christian,

Thanks for that information. This could probably go in our documentation somewhere. Would you mind making a GH issue to add to the docs with this info?

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On Jan 26, 2016, at 8:53 AM, Christian Tremblay <[email protected]> wrote:

If I may, when installing Anaconda, "bokeh" will appear on the path and be accessible. That is not the case if we just pip install or build from source. I'm not aware of a way to automatically solve this issue... other than a script that would add bokeh to the path after the build... And that would probably be a manual operation.

Christian Tremblay, ing.

Prenez
le contrôle de votre bâtiment

2016-01-26 9:41 GMT-05:00 Bryan Van de Ven <[email protected]>:

> On Jan 26, 2016, at 8:20 AM, [email protected] wrote:
>
> Thanks for your reply Bryan. Actually, I didn't give such an amount of details because the fact that it "wasn't working" was my fault. It's why I quickly removed my post in the mailing list. The problem wasn't a bug. The problem was when I ran the 'bokeh serve' command, the 'bokeh' command wasn't found because my system wasn't able to find the bokeh file. This is why I didnt give you a lot of details and why I removed my post. Because it was a silly problem made by a silly and too rushed young developer.
>
> But be sure I totally understand that when a user say "it doesn't work", you need to know the context to find the reason why. And be sure that I would give you more details if I got a "real" problem.
>
> Following your response about NumPy, I seriously think about using Anaconda. It would be simplier. And before post (and quickly remove) a topic for a problem, be sure I will search a little more.
>
> Thanks again and sorry for the lost of time

No worries and no apologies needed, we want Bokeh to work great for and serve as many people as it can. Chances are if it was hard for you to find the command on Windows, it might be for others, too. None of the current core devs are Windows users, so I can certainly believe our build/packaging for Windows could stand improvement. If there's anything we can do to make things better or simpler, please let us know.

Thanks,

Bryan

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/35880276-1E16-4D20-9039-67BC5D13C960%40continuum.io\.

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/CAOm3oNn43uGmf%2BmeVueqa9NC%3D7-RZ8YkpMsiFFp2fHMLOn%3Do7Q%40mail.gmail.com\.

Indeed Christophe, this is exactly the problem I had. bokeh wasn’t on the path so my system couldn’t find it because i used pip to make the installation.

Make it automatic (if possible) or put it on the documentation for WIndows + pip users would be great.

Bryan, I am always looking for an example of downsampling using the bokeh server 0.11. If you have a link or anything to guide me be sure it would help me a lot.

···

Thanks,

Bryan

``

Yeah no problem

···

2016-01-26 9:58 GMT-05:00 Bryan Van de Ven [email protected]:

Christian,

Thanks for that information. This could probably go in our documentation somewhere. Would you mind making a GH issue to add to the docs with this info?

Thanks,

Bryan

On Jan 26, 2016, at 8:53 AM, Christian Tremblay [email protected] wrote:

If I may, when installing Anaconda, “bokeh” will appear on the path and be accessible. That is not the case if we just pip install or build from source. I’m not aware of a way to automatically solve this issue… other than a script that would add bokeh to the path after the build… And that would probably be a manual operation.

Christian Tremblay, ing.

Prenez

le contrôle de votre bâtiment

2016-01-26 9:41 GMT-05:00 Bryan Van de Ven [email protected]:

No worries and no apologies needed, we want Bokeh to work great for and serve as many people as it can. Chances are if it was hard for you to find the command on Windows, it might be for others, too. None of the current core devs are Windows users, so I can certainly believe our build/packaging for Windows could stand improvement. If there’s anything we can do to make things better or simpler, please let us know.

Thanks,

Bryan

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/35880276-1E16-4D20-9039-67BC5D13C960%40continuum.io.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/CAOm3oNn43uGmf%2BmeVueqa9NC%3D7-RZ8YkpMsiFFp2fHMLOn%3Do7Q%40mail.gmail.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/0DD439F5-6EC3-4244-BF12-2DFBFCA071FB%40continuum.io.

Christian Tremblay, ing.

Prenez

**le contrôle **de votre bâtiment

Alec,

I am still trying to find time to create a new example that does that specifically. there's just a really huge list of things to-do, and only a few of us currently trying to plow through it...

I can say the general outline would be something like this:

* use plot size and initial data ranges to subsample data
* .on_change callbacks on x and y range objects as appropriatae
* these update the data sources appropriately (use plot size and current data ranges to subsample data)

I'll let the list know when I can say anything more concrete. Of course, if anyone else beats me to it and could contribute an example that would be awesome as well,

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On Jan 26, 2016, at 9:04 AM, [email protected] wrote:

Bryan, I am always looking for an example of downsampling using the bokeh server 0.11. If you have a link or anything to guide me be sure it would help me a lot.