Bokeh Performance

For reproducibility purposes, I have a contrived example where I first add n*n number of random points to a plot (blue). It is important to note that the coordinates for these points never change and so I don’t throw them into a columndatasource explicitly. Then, I add single (red) point at the origin and I set a periodic callback that moves this point up and to the right by a small amount every 50 milliseconds. Here’s the code:

from bokeh.plotting import figure, ColumnDataSource, curdoc

import numpy as np

n = 25

cds = ColumnDataSource({‘x’: [0],

'y': [0]})

i = 1

def update():

"""

Simple function that shifts the single red point up and to the right by a little

"""

global i

step = 0.25

new = {'x': [i*step],

'y': [i*step],

}

cds.data = new

i += 1

curdoc().add_periodic_callback(update, 50)

plt = figure(sizing_mode=‘stretch_both’)

Add n*n number of blue points at random. The position of these points never change!

max_val = 50

plt.circle(x=np.random.uniform(0, max_val, n*n),

y=np.random.uniform(0, max_val, n*n), 

size=3)

Add a single red point

plt.circle(source=cds, x=‘x’, y=‘y’, size=20, color=‘red’)

curdoc().add_root(plt)

With n=25 as shown above, the red point moves smoothly across the plot. However, when n=50, the movement of the red point starts to be quite jumpy rather than smooth. And at n=100, the red point really jumps across the plot and is not smooth at all. I understand that at n=100 we already have 10,000 points on the plot, which is likely approaching some of bokeh’s limits. However, since the position/information of the blue points don’t need to be changed or updated, I was wondering if there was a better way for me to modify the Python code to reflect this and while allowing the single red point to move smoothly as in n=25?

One alternative was to replace the the blue points with a single image but I am trying to build a demo that illustrates the abilities of bokeh.

Best,

Sean

Hi Sean,

This is running into browser performance limits. I did update your code to use .patch just to rule out any question of data transfer overhead being relevant:

cds.patch({ 'x' : [(0, i*step)], 'y' : [(0, i*step)] })

tho it really should not matter much with this specific example. In any case, on my system, profiling with N=100 yields this for a typical animation frame:

“set_vectorize” is ours, and perhaps it can be made more performant. However as you can see, all the other calls, which are canvas primitives, take up ~70ms, which is already longer than your interval. Bokeh does not have any notion of backpressure yet, so on my system this spikes the CPU pretty immediately as updates pile up. In any case, there’s not really anything we can do to make the built in “fill”, etc faster on any given browser. It’s possible using the webgl backend might offer some improvement, though there are known issues with webgl at present also, so YMMV.

If you have 10k+ static points and only a handful of updating or dynamic points, the inclination to pre-render the static part (maybe with data shader) seems like a reasonable one.

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On Dec 3, 2017, at 22:17, [email protected] wrote:

For reproducibility purposes, I have a contrived example where I first add n*n number of random points to a plot (blue). It is important to note that the coordinates for these points never change and so I don’t throw them into a columndatasource explicitly. Then, I add single (red) point at the origin and I set a periodic callback that moves this point up and to the right by a small amount every 50 milliseconds. Here’s the code:

import numpy as np

n = 25
‘y’: [0]})
i = 1
def update():
“”"
Simple function that shifts the single red point up and to the right by a little
“”"
global i
step = 0.25
new = {‘x’: [i*step],
‘y’: [i*step],
}
cds.data = new
i += 1

Add n*n number of blue points at random. The position of these points never change!

max_val = 50
plt.circle(x=np.random.uniform(0, max_val, nn),
y=np.random.uniform(0, max_val, n
n),
size=3)

Add a single red point

curdoc().add_root(plt)

With n=25 as shown above, the red point moves smoothly across the plot. However, when n=50, the movement of the red point starts to be quite jumpy rather than smooth. And at n=100, the red point really jumps across the plot and is not smooth at all. I understand that at n=100 we already have 10,000 points on the plot, which is likely approaching some of bokeh’s limits. However, since the position/information of the blue points don’t need to be changed or updated, I was wondering if there was a better way for me to modify the Python code to reflect this and while allowing the single red point to move smoothly as in n=25?

One alternative was to replace the the blue points with a single image but I am trying to build a demo that illustrates the abilities of bokeh.

Best,
Sean

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/c99cbd6e-8b62-46e9-956d-368f6028cf41%40continuum.io.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout.

Thanks, Bryan.

If I understand correctly, the callback causes a refresh of the entire plot even though there are parts that are static and separate parts that are dynamic? I probably incorrectly assumed that the blue circles are loaded once (which can take some time, this is fine) but would not need to be refreshed/updated when the red circle is updated. I get the impression from your answer that an update of the red circle also causes everything else in the browser to get re-drawn.

Is that correct?

Best,

Sean

···

On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 12:28:36 PM UTC-5, Bryan Van de ven wrote:

Hi Sean,

This is running into browser performance limits. I did update your code to use .patch just to rule out any question of data transfer overhead being relevant:

cds.patch({ ‘x’ : [(0, istep)], ‘y’ : [(0, istep)] })

tho it really should not matter much with this specific example. In any case, on my system, profiling with N=100 yields this for a typical animation frame:

“set_vectorize” is ours, and perhaps it can be made more performant. However as you can see, all the other calls, which are canvas primitives, take up ~70ms, which is already longer than your interval. Bokeh does not have any notion of backpressure yet, so on my system this spikes the CPU pretty immediately as updates pile up. In any case, there’s not really anything we can do to make the built in “fill”, etc faster on any given browser. It’s possible using the webgl backend might offer some improvement, though there are known issues with webgl at present also, so YMMV.

If you have 10k+ static points and only a handful of updating or dynamic points, the inclination to pre-render the static part (maybe with data shader) seems like a reasonable one.

Thanks,

Bryan

On Dec 3, 2017, at 22:17, [email protected] wrote:

import numpy as np

n = 25
‘y’: [0]})
i = 1
def update():
“”"
“”"
global i
step = 0.25
new = {‘x’: [i*step],
‘y’: [i*step],
}
cds.data = new
i += 1

max_val = 50
plt.circle(x=np.random.uniform(0, max_val, nn),
y=np.random.uniform(0, max_val, n
n),
size=3)

Add a single red point

curdoc().add_root(plt)

Best,
Sean

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/c99cbd6e-8b62-46e9-956d-368f6028cf41%40continuum.io.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout.

Hi Sean,

It's true that only updating the red circle means only the *data* for the red circle needs to be sent and update. But regarding rendering, the entire canvas is always redrawn any time anything is redrawn. Thats's really just how the HTML canvas works. So with N=100 every redraw triggers 10000 calls to ctx.circle every time. By contrast if you pre-render to an image, only a single call to ctx.image has to happen each time, which is generally quite fast even with large images.

There are potentially things we could try like caching backing store images automatically, or reporting and only redrawing "damage" regions instead of the whole canvas. But they *alot* of complexity, and are only beneficial in some use cases (because they also add overhead). Bokeh is already very complex, so we have not reached for those ideas, since in general performance is acceptable and when it's not there are tools like data shader or webgl (though of course it does have some known issues of its own at this point).

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On Dec 4, 2017, at 18:54, [email protected] wrote:

Thanks, Bryan.

If I understand correctly, the callback causes a refresh of the entire plot even though there are parts that are static and separate parts that are dynamic? I probably incorrectly assumed that the blue circles are loaded once (which can take some time, this is fine) but would not need to be refreshed/updated when the red circle is updated. I get the impression from your answer that an update of the red circle also causes everything else in the browser to get re-drawn.

Is that correct?

Best,
Sean

On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 12:28:36 PM UTC-5, Bryan Van de ven wrote:
Hi Sean,

cds.patch({ 'x' : [(0, i*step)], 'y' : [(0, i*step)] })

"set_vectorize" is ours, and perhaps it can be made more performant. However as you can see, all the other calls, which are canvas primitives, take up ~70ms, which is already longer than your interval. Bokeh does not have any notion of backpressure yet, so on my system this spikes the CPU pretty immediately as updates pile up. In any case, there's not really anything we can do to make the built in "fill", etc faster on any given browser. It's possible using the webgl backend might offer some improvement, though there are known issues with webgl at present also, so YMMV.

Thanks,

Bryan

On Dec 3, 2017, at 22:17, sean...@gmail.com wrote:

For reproducibility purposes, I have a contrived example where I first add n*n number of random points to a plot (blue). It is important to note that the coordinates for these points never change and so I don't throw them into a columndatasource explicitly. Then, I add single (red) point at the origin and I set a periodic callback that moves this point up and to the right by a small amount every 50 milliseconds. Here's the code:

import numpy as np

n = 25
cds = ColumnDataSource({'x': [0],
                        'y': [0]})
i = 1
def update():
    """
    """
    global i
    step = 0.25
    new = {'x': [i*step],
           'y': [i*step],
           }
    cds.data = new
    i += 1

plt = figure(sizing_mode='stretch_both')

# Add n*n number of blue points at random. The position of these points never change!
max_val = 50
plt.circle(x=np.random.uniform(0, max_val, n*n),
           y=np.random.uniform(0, max_val, n*n),
           size=3)

# Add a single red point
plt.circle(source=cds, x='x', y='y', size=20, color='red')

curdoc().add_root(plt)

With n=25 as shown above, the red point moves smoothly across the plot. However, when n=50, the movement of the red point starts to be quite jumpy rather than smooth. And at n=100, the red point really jumps across the plot and is not smooth at all. I understand that at n=100 we already have 10,000 points on the plot, which is likely approaching some of bokeh's limits. However, since the position/information of the blue points don't need to be changed or updated, I was wondering if there was a better way for me to modify the Python code to reflect this and while allowing the single red point to move smoothly as in n=25?

Best,
Sean

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to bokeh+un...@continuum.io.
To post to this group, send email to bo...@continuum.io.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/c99cbd6e-8b62-46e9-956d-368f6028cf41%40continuum.io\.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout\.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/b0379142-99ce-490e-9d40-16116684cb68%40continuum.io\.

Bryan, thanks for the detailed response. I was also wondering if it’s possible then to layer canvases on top of each other so that they are redrawn separately. In the meantine, I will play around with using an image.

Sean,

That seems like a not-unreasonable idea, that might be useful in some situations. Canvases can definitely be set to transparent. The (slight) difficulty will be in getting the "central" plot areas to line up exactly. This probably means having identical canvas sizes, and setting the min_border values large enough to accommodate any axes, etc. This is basically the "backing store" idea I mentioned in passing, just handled explicitly rather than Bokeh doing it automatically.

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On Dec 6, 2017, at 18:22, [email protected] wrote:

Bryan, thanks for the detailed response. I was also wondering if it’s possible then to layer canvases on top of each other so that they are redrawn separately. In the meantine, I will play around with using an image.

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/61531ee0-f49d-4792-9c41-d7cb80cd4212%40continuum.io\.