Bokeh server and databases tutorial?

Hi,

I’m new to Bokeh and have used R Shiny in the past for these sort of things.

Does anyone have a good tutorial showing the recommended approach for setting up an internal dashboard with Bokeh that connects to a company’s database?

I am a bit confused because R Shiny has the concept of ui.r and server.r, but Bokeh doesn’t. It looks like I will want to use the Bokeh Server (http://bokeh.pydata.org/en/0.10.0/docs/user_guide/server.html) but from that point I am a little confused at what to do next.

Thanks!
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for you interest in Bokeh. You do definitely want to use the Bokeh server, however I should mention that the Bokeh server has just been recently re-written to be much simpler, faster, easier to use and deploy. It is currently in pre-release for the 0.11 release scheduled for January 6th. If you’d like to check it out early, there are instructions for installing “dev builds” here:

http://bokeh.pydata.org/en/latest/docs/installation.html#developer-builds

And some initial dev docs are located here:

http://bokeh.pydata.org/en/dev/docs/user_guide/cli.html

We will be adding much more documentation, in particular about deploying behind proxies, etc. in the coming few weeks. We are also developing a full demo application that does exactly what you describe, e.g. connect to a database. All these docs will be ready for the 0.11 full release in January. Note that your link about is to the latest release (0.10) and will not have any useful information about the new Bokeh server. Finally, for now you can see some examples that can be run in this directory of the source tree on Github:

Just run “bokeh serve” on any of those files or directories (except crossfilter, which we are still porting).

For now, all the UI layout is expressed explicitly, but we are also working on some automated layout for widgets, etc. that will make these event simpler.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

···

On Thursday, December 17, 2015 at 6:12:02 PM UTC-6, Jeff wrote:

Hi,

I’m new to Bokeh and have used R Shiny in the past for these sort of things.

Does anyone have a good tutorial showing the recommended approach for setting up an internal dashboard with Bokeh that connects to a company’s database?

I am a bit confused because R Shiny has the concept of ui.r and server.r, but Bokeh doesn’t. It looks like I will want to use the Bokeh Server (http://bokeh.pydata.org/en/0.10.0/docs/user_guide/server.html) but from that point I am a little confused at what to do next.

Thanks!
Jeff

Hey Byran, I was just watching your presentation on YouTube. What a coincidence.

I could probably wait until Jan 6th to start using the server. Does the server change significantly with each minor version change? Basically, is it stable, or will it be stable?

Also, in the meantime, if I start developing charts with the output-to-html-files method (no Bokeh server), will it be pretty simple to then use those same charts with the server?

···

On Thursday, December 17, 2015 at 4:28:21 PM UTC-8, Bryan Van de ven wrote:

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for you interest in Bokeh. You do definitely want to use the Bokeh server, however I should mention that the Bokeh server has just been recently re-written to be much simpler, faster, easier to use and deploy. It is currently in pre-release for the 0.11 release scheduled for January 6th. If you’d like to check it out early, there are instructions for installing “dev builds” here:

http://bokeh.pydata.org/en/latest/docs/installation.html#developer-builds

And some initial dev docs are located here:

http://bokeh.pydata.org/en/dev/docs/user_guide/cli.html

We will be adding much more documentation, in particular about deploying behind proxies, etc. in the coming few weeks. We are also developing a full demo application that does exactly what you describe, e.g. connect to a database. All these docs will be ready for the 0.11 full release in January. Note that your link about is to the latest release (0.10) and will not have any useful information about the new Bokeh server. Finally, for now you can see some examples that can be run in this directory of the source tree on Github:

https://github.com/bokeh/bokeh/tree/master/examples/app

Just run “bokeh serve” on any of those files or directories (except crossfilter, which we are still porting).

For now, all the UI layout is expressed explicitly, but we are also working on some automated layout for widgets, etc. that will make these event simpler.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

On Thursday, December 17, 2015 at 6:12:02 PM UTC-6, Jeff wrote:

Hi,

I’m new to Bokeh and have used R Shiny in the past for these sort of things.

Does anyone have a good tutorial showing the recommended approach for setting up an internal dashboard with Bokeh that connects to a company’s database?

I am a bit confused because R Shiny has the concept of ui.r and server.r, but Bokeh doesn’t. It looks like I will want to use the Bokeh Server (http://bokeh.pydata.org/en/0.10.0/docs/user_guide/server.html) but from that point I am a little confused at what to do next.

Thanks!
Jeff

@Bryan “We are also developing a full demo application that does exactly what you describe, e.g. connect to a database”. I am new to Bokeh and I am looking for a full example on how to set up the database for a Bokeh app. Could you let me know where I can find such kind of examples? I have searched a lot, but still cannot find one. Thank you very much.

···

On Thursday, December 17, 2015 at 7:12:02 PM UTC-5, Jeff wrote:

Hi,

I’m new to Bokeh and have used R Shiny in the past for these sort of things.

Does anyone have a good tutorial showing the recommended approach for setting up an internal dashboard with Bokeh that connects to a company’s database?

I am a bit confused because R Shiny has the concept of ui.r and server.r, but Bokeh doesn’t. It looks like I will want to use the Bokeh Server (http://bokeh.pydata.org/en/0.10.0/docs/user_guide/server.html) but from that point I am a little confused at what to do next.

Thanks!
Jeff

Hi,

I'd love to add some examples involving data bases to the Bokeh GH repo, but I have not had the time or opportunity to do so myself. However, Bokeh server apps are really just python scripts, and have access to all the standard python tools and libraries. From a general perspective, there's nothing different about accessing a database from a Bokeh app than from accessing a database in any any standard python script or app. If you have specific questions, or can share code for something you've actually tried, it might be possible to offer more specific guidance.

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On Feb 16, 2017, at 12:46, Jianming Sang <[email protected]> wrote:

@Bryan "We are also developing a full demo application that does exactly what you describe, e.g. connect to a database". I am new to Bokeh and I am looking for a full example on how to set up the database for a Bokeh app. Could you let me know where I can find such kind of examples? I have searched a lot, but still cannot find one. Thank you very much.

On Thursday, December 17, 2015 at 7:12:02 PM UTC-5, Jeff wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to Bokeh and have used R Shiny in the past for these sort of things.

Does anyone have a good tutorial showing the recommended approach for setting up an internal dashboard with Bokeh that connects to a company's database?

I am a bit confused because R Shiny has the concept of ui.r and server.r, but Bokeh doesn't. It looks like I will want to use the Bokeh Server (http://bokeh.pydata.org/en/0.10.0/docs/user_guide/server.html) but from that point I am a little confused at what to do next.

Thanks!
Jeff

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/20871370-09c6-4a4f-979a-e330c4ddd110%40continuum.io.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout.