How to draw bars on a categorical axis

Hi,

I’m currently trying to figure out how to basically draw a bar chart manually using glyphs. The problem is that, when create a categorical x-axis as described in the documentation here, I can’t find a way to create a quad that is centered on the ticks. I could us a rect to fix this specific problem (although calculating the vertical center seems a bit hacky), but the next step would be to group multiple bars around a single tick, like the bar chart does here. I’ve browsed the source code a bit, and it seems the BarBuilder uses a rect internally, but I don’t know how it achieves the correct position on a categorical axis. Can someone explain how this is done?

Cheers,

Björn

Hello Bjorn,

It is not exactly quads, but maybe it is useful:

import pandas as pd
import bokeh.plotting as bk

def main():
“”" Run the whole program “”"
cols= [‘Rock/Folk/Indie’,‘Country’ ,‘Singer-Songwriter’, ‘Jazz/Blues’]
d = {‘Rock/Folk/Indie’:[56,12] ,‘Country’:[11,7] ,‘Singer-Songwriter’:[7,10],
‘Jazz/Blues’:[7,6]}
df = pd.DataFrame(d, columns=cols, index=[‘male’, ‘female’])
print (df)
rows = len(df.index)
wdth = 0.3

categorical_coord = lambda name,row: "{}:{}".format(name, 0.35 + wdth*row)
x = [[categorical_coord(name,jdx) for name in cols]for jdx in range(rows)]
plot = bk.figure(x_range=cols, y_range= [0, 60], tools="", title="Genre")

n = 2 # number of bars
colour = ["#CD7F32", "silver"]
leg = ['male', 'female']
for idx in range(n):
    plot.rect(x=x[idx], y=df.iloc[idx]/n, width=wdth, height=df.iloc[idx], color=colour[idx], legend=leg[idx])
bk.show(plot)

if name == ‘main’:
main()

``

Best!

Hello,

The same example using quads. Please note I haven’t work much on simplifying the code (for example, you can combine the lambdas to get the right/left coords at once, and the put it into the for loop), but at least it can give you some start point.

import pandas as pd

def main():
bk.output_file(“bars.html”)
print (df)
rows = len(df.index)
wdth = 0.3

categorical_coord = lambda name,row: "{}:{}".format(name, 0.5 - wdth + wdth*row)
right = [[categorical_coord(name,jdx) for name in cols]for jdx in range(rows)]  
categorical_coord = lambda name,row: "{}:{}".format(name, 0.50 + wdth*row)
left = [[categorical_coord(name,jdx) for name in cols]for jdx in range(rows)]

n = 2 # number of bars
leg = ['male', 'female']
for idx in range(n):
    plot.quad(bottom=0, top=df.iloc[idx], left=left[idx], right=right[idx], color=colour[idx], legend=leg[idx])
bk.show(plot)

if name == ‘main’:
main()

``

Let me know if you have questions.

Best !

As an FYI there is an open issue to add VBar/HBar glyphs, that would specifically be useful for simplifying this particular use case;

Add VBar and HBar glyphs · Issue #3423 · bokeh/bokeh · GitHub

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On Jun 7, 2016, at 10:39 AM, Oscar Delgado <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello,

The same example using quads. Please note I haven't work much on simplifying the code (for example, you can combine the lambdas to get the right/left coords at once, and the put it into the for loop), but at least it can give you some start point.

import pandas as pd

def main():
    """ Run the whole program """
    bk.output_file("bars.html")
    cols= ['Rock/Folk/Indie','Country' ,'Singer-Songwriter', 'Jazz/Blues']
    d = {'Rock/Folk/Indie':[56,12] ,'Country':[11,7] ,'Singer-Songwriter':[7,10],
            'Jazz/Blues':[7,6]}
    df = pd.DataFrame(d, columns=cols, index=['male', 'female'])
    print (df)
    rows = len(df.index)
    wdth = 0.3

categorical_coord = lambda name,row: "{}:{}".format(name, 0.5 - wdth + wdth*row)

n = 2 # number of bars
    leg = ['male', 'female']
    for idx in range(n):
        plot.quad(bottom=0, top=df.iloc[idx], left=left[idx], right=right[idx], color=colour[idx], legend=leg[idx])
    bk.show(plot)

if __name__ == '__main__':
    main()

Best !

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/cb775dad-7250-4e4e-80db-fffa9ddf6851%40continuum.io\.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout\.

Hi Oscar,

thanks for providing these examples, they are very useful indeed. The key point there is that you specify coordinates as name:factor pairs. I wasn’t aware that this is possible, and I don’t understand what exactly goes on here. Can you explain this?

Cheers,

Björn
···

On 7 Jun 2016, at 16:39, Oscar Delgado [email protected] wrote:

Hello,

The same example using quads. Please note I haven’t work much on simplifying the code (for example, you can combine the lambdas to get the right/left coords at once, and the put it into the for loop), but at least it can give you some start point.

import pandas as pd

def main():
print (df)
rows = len(df.index)
wdth = 0.3

n = 2 # number of bars
leg = ['male', 'female']
for idx in range(n):
bk.show(plot)

if name == ‘main’:
main()

``

Best !

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/topic/bokeh/h22xpZmxId8/unsubscribe.

To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [email protected].

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/cb775dad-7250-4e4e-80db-fffa9ddf6851%40continuum.io.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout.

Hi Björn,

The factor allows you to specify a "sub-position" within the category, as a percentage. For example, if you have a categorical x-axis, and one of the categories is "foo", then basically:

* "foo:0.0" is a the left edge of the of category's area
* "foo:0.5" is in the center of category's area
* "foo" is the same as "foo:0.5"
* "foo:1.0" is at the right edge of the category's area

It might help to study this example:

http://bokeh.pydata.org/en/latest/docs/gallery/periodic.html

There is not alot of documentation on this because, frankly it's not a great interface. It was added out of expediency, quite a long time ago (my fault). I hope to replace the inner workings of it entirely this year (while providing deprecated back-compat for a long time). I empathize that this is less than ideal for users, but realistically it's hard to justify spending time on documenting a thing you know you aren't going to keep, when it's already hard/impossible to keep up with other demands for things that *are* going to be around long term.

Bryan

···

On Jun 8, 2016, at 6:21 AM, Björn Pollex <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Oscar,

thanks for providing these examples, they are very useful indeed. The key point there is that you specify coordinates as name:factor pairs. I wasn’t aware that this is possible, and I don’t understand what exactly goes on here. Can you explain this?

Cheers,

Björn

On 7 Jun 2016, at 16:39, Oscar Delgado <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello,

The same example using quads. Please note I haven't work much on simplifying the code (for example, you can combine the lambdas to get the right/left coords at once, and the put it into the for loop), but at least it can give you some start point.

import pandas as pd

def main():
    print (df)
    rows = len(df.index)
    wdth = 0.3

n = 2 # number of bars
    leg = ['male', 'female']
    for idx in range(n):
    bk.show(plot)

main()

Best !

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/topic/bokeh/h22xpZmxId8/unsubscribe\.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/cb775dad-7250-4e4e-80db-fffa9ddf6851%40continuum.io\.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/2C00C99E-B5EE-4726-B6DA-D923B3E6E850%40posteo.de\.

Hello Bjorn,

Those are called “Categorical Coordinates”. Bryan told me about them:

https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/forum/#!searchin/bokeh/categorical/bokeh/FzRGHuM8SrA/kvI8RfKJK5kJ

Note that I have something awkward in my example (the left-right are inverted) but the idea is that the first group of bars (males) should be moved to the left and the second group to the right. You should do a little of math based on the number of groups/width to determine the deviations but at the end, you can implement a loop when you have several groups (2+). NOTE: Check always the space between categories to avoid overlap when you have several groups.

Best!

···

Le mercredi 8 juin 2016 08:06:38 UTC-4, Björn Pollex a écrit :

Hi Oscar,

Cheers,

Björn

Hello,

import pandas as pd

def main():
print (df)
rows = len(df.index)
wdth = 0.3

n = 2 # number of bars
leg = ['male', 'female']
for idx in range(n):
bk.show(plot)

if name == ‘main’:
main()

``

Best !

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/topic/bokeh/h22xpZmxId8/unsubscribe.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/cb775dad-7250-4e4e-80db-fffa9ddf6851%40continuum.io.

Hi,

sorry to resurrect an old thread but is this supposed to work with patches (with missing points), too?

Kind regards,

Istvan

···

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 5:31:01 PM UTC+2, Oscar Delgado wrote:

Hello Bjorn,

Those are called “Categorical Coordinates”. Bryan told me about them:

https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/forum/#!searchin/bokeh/categorical/bokeh/FzRGHuM8SrA/kvI8RfKJK5kJ

Note that I have something awkward in my example (the left-right are inverted) but the idea is that the first group of bars (males) should be moved to the left and the second group to the right. You should do a little of math based on the number of groups/width to determine the deviations but at the end, you can implement a loop when you have several groups (2+). NOTE: Check always the space between categories to avoid overlap when you have several groups.

Best!

Hi Oscar,

Cheers,

Björn

Hello,

import pandas as pd

def main():
print (df)
rows = len(df.index)
wdth = 0.3

n = 2 # number of bars
leg = ['male', 'female']
for idx in range(n):
bk.show(plot)

if name == ‘main’:
main()

``

Best !

It's actually a good time to mention that (terrible) categorical coordinates are going away in the next release. The entire way categoricals are handled has been re-worked for the better, supporting things link nest hierarchical axes:

http://bokeh.pydata.org/en/dev/docs/user_guide/categorical.html

Offhand I would expect this to work with patches (and the previous syntax too), but it's certainly possible there are bugs. However, it's hard to say anything concrete without a complete test case that can be run and investigated.

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On Aug 10, 2017, at 05:04, [email protected] wrote:

Hi,

sorry to resurrect an old thread but is this supposed to work with patches (with missing points), too?

Kind regards,
Istvan

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 5:31:01 PM UTC+2, Oscar Delgado wrote:
Hello Bjorn,

Those are called "Categorical Coordinates". Bryan told me about them:
Redirecting to Google Groups

Best!

Hi Oscar,

Cheers,

Björn

On 7 Jun 2016, at 16:39, Oscar Delgado <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello,

import pandas as pd

def main():
    print (df)
    rows = len(df.index)
    wdth = 0.3

n = 2 # number of bars
    leg = ['male', 'female']
    for idx in range(n):
        plot.quad(bottom=0, top=df.iloc[idx], left=left[idx], right=right[idx], color=colour[idx],legend=leg[idx])
    bk.show(plot)

main()

Best !

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/topic/bokeh/h22xpZmxId8/unsubscribe\.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to bokeh+un...@continuum.io.
To post to this group, send email to bo...@continuum.io.

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/94f6d545-3fbd-4223-8a3a-7acc0c8061df%40continuum.io\.