Internet Explorer not rendering plot correctly

Hi

Im now somewhat closer to finishing my project, but it seems like IE11 (IE11.0.9600) isn’t in any mood to cooperate.

The plot is currently available under bevstat.internet-box.ch and so far chrome and firefox behave as expected.

When using IE11 the main plot on the upper left won’t render. The whole page also reacts much slower to any changes on the slider.

The bokeh server doesn’t report anything unusual (same stuff as with the other browsers).

Code (still needs a lot of work, pls don’t judge :wink: is available at http://pastebin.com/nKzehkuu .

I’ve seen topics discussing webGL and IE, but ive activated no such thing . If you can give me a hint what might be happening here it would be greatly appreciated.

best regards

Hi Rudewolf,

First, wow! That is a really impressive app, if you are interested I would love to showcase it in a blog post (or guest blog post).

Regarding the plot items not showing up, I do note that if I have the dev console open in the browser before reloading, this error message show up:

[bokeh] Unhandled ERROR reply to 8EB1D9C5FF3C430BBCAD72FC85BF7782: ValueError('max() arg is an empty sequence',)

However, I also see this in Safari where the plot does work, so I am not sure it's actually related to anything. If you re-dploy your server with the environment variables

BOKEH_MINIFIED=no BOKEH_LOG_LEVEL=debug

Then the browser console will be more chatty and maybe something will turn up there.

I'd like to take a look at and/or run the code too, but I won't have time until this weekend.

Regarding the slider slowness, it may simply be that's as fast as IE11 can re-draw. When I view it in a VM, I would ~0.5 second delayed). But one thing that might help is to throttle the slider updates. Unfortunately, this is not directly supported for bokeh server apps yet, but there is a workable technique using CustomJS described here:

python - Throttling in Bokeh application - Stack Overflow

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On Dec 8, 2016, at 12:10 PM, Rudelwolf <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi

Im now somewhat closer to finishing my project, but it seems like IE11 (IE11.0.9600) isn't in any mood to cooperate.
The plot is currently available under bevstat.internet-box.ch and so far chrome and firefox behave as expected.
When using IE11 the main plot on the upper left won't render. The whole page also reacts much slower to any changes on the slider.

The bokeh server doesn't report anything unusual (same stuff as with the other browsers).

Code (still needs a lot of work, pls don't judge :wink: is available at bevstat.py - Pastebin.com .

I've seen topics discussing webGL and IE, but ive activated no such thing . If you can give me a hint what might be happening here it would be greatly appreciated.

best regards

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/b78a326b-12d7-4fc8-b07d-529adbd12866%40continuum.io\.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout\.

Another suggestion that might be useful just from a information-collecting point of view: add pan and zoom tools to the plot. Do things redraw correctly after a pan or zoom? Are things somehow plotted off screen incorrectly (I very much doubt this, but good to exclude all possibilities). Also, does that plot display if you have it in isolation (i.e. remove the other plots?) If not, maybe you can construct a minimal example that would be easier to debug.

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On Dec 8, 2016, at 12:32 PM, Bryan Van de Ven <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Rudewolf,

First, wow! That is a really impressive app, if you are interested I would love to showcase it in a blog post (or guest blog post).

Regarding the plot items not showing up, I do note that if I have the dev console open in the browser before reloading, this error message show up:

[bokeh] Unhandled ERROR reply to 8EB1D9C5FF3C430BBCAD72FC85BF7782: ValueError('max() arg is an empty sequence',)

However, I also see this in Safari where the plot does work, so I am not sure it's actually related to anything. If you re-dploy your server with the environment variables

Then the browser console will be more chatty and maybe something will turn up there.

I'd like to take a look at and/or run the code too, but I won't have time until this weekend.

Regarding the slider slowness, it may simply be that's as fast as IE11 can re-draw. When I view it in a VM, I would ~0.5 second delayed). But one thing that might help is to throttle the slider updates. Unfortunately, this is not directly supported for bokeh server apps yet, but there is a workable technique using CustomJS described here:

Thanks,

Bryan

Hi

Im now somewhat closer to finishing my project, but it seems like IE11 (IE11.0.9600) isn't in any mood to cooperate.
When using IE11 the main plot on the upper left won't render. The whole page also reacts much slower to any changes on the slider.

The bokeh server doesn't report anything unusual (same stuff as with the other browsers).

Code (still needs a lot of work, pls don't judge :wink: is available at bevstat.py - Pastebin.com .

I've seen topics discussing webGL and IE, but ive activated no such thing . If you can give me a hint what might be happening here it would be greatly appreciated.

best regards

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/b78a326b-12d7-4fc8-b07d-529adbd12866%40continuum.io\.

I did try to run the app right quick, but of course there are several .csv files loaded. Is there any way you can make these files (or fake mocked-up) versions of them available?

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On Dec 8, 2016, at 12:38 PM, Bryan Van de Ven <[email protected]> wrote:

Another suggestion that might be useful just from a information-collecting point of view: add pan and zoom tools to the plot. Do things redraw correctly after a pan or zoom? Are things somehow plotted off screen incorrectly (I very much doubt this, but good to exclude all possibilities). Also, does that plot display if you have it in isolation (i.e. remove the other plots?) If not, maybe you can construct a minimal example that would be easier to debug.

Thanks,

Bryan

On Dec 8, 2016, at 12:32 PM, Bryan Van de Ven <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Rudewolf,

Thanks,

Bryan

Hi

best regards

--

Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cz4163ibumspf2i/mybokeh.tar?dl=0

Tell me if something is missing :slight_smile:

···

On Thursday, 8 December 2016 20:10:34 UTC+1, Bryan Van de ven wrote:

I did try to run the app right quick, but of course there are several .csv files loaded. Is there any way you can make these files (or fake mocked-up) versions of them available?

Thanks,

Bryan

On Dec 8, 2016, at 12:38 PM, Bryan Van de Ven [email protected] wrote:

Thanks,

Bryan

On Dec 8, 2016, at 12:32 PM, Bryan Van de Ven [email protected] wrote:

Hi Rudewolf,

However, I also see this in Safari where the plot does work, so I am not sure it’s actually related to anything. If you re-dploy your server with the environment variables

I’d like to take a look at and/or run the code too, but I won’t have time until this weekend.

Regarding the slider slowness, it may simply be that’s as fast as IE11 can re-draw. When I view it in a VM, I would ~0.5 second delayed). But one thing that might help is to throttle the slider updates. Unfortunately, this is not directly supported for bokeh server apps yet, but there is a workable technique using CustomJS described here:

[http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38375961/throttling-in-bokeh-application/38379136#38379136](http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38375961/throttling-in-bokeh-application/38379136#38379136)

Thanks,

Bryan

On Dec 8, 2016, at 12:10 PM, Rudelwolf [email protected] wrote:

Hi

Im now somewhat closer to finishing my project, but it seems like IE11 (IE11.0.9600) isn’t in any mood to cooperate.

When using IE11 the main plot on the upper left won’t render. The whole page also reacts much slower to any changes on the slider.

The bokeh server doesn’t report anything unusual (same stuff as with the other browsers).

Code (still needs a lot of work, pls don’t judge :wink: is available at http://pastebin.com/nKzehkuu .

I’ve seen topics discussing webGL and IE, but ive activated no such thing . If you can give me a hint what might be happening here it would be greatly appreciated.

best regards

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/b78a326b-12d7-4fc8-b07d-529adbd12866%40continuum.io.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout.

Pan and zoom added, no plot visible with any reasonable zoom.

I’d be honored to have my stuff in your Blog, i would like to change some stuff beforehand (locale, reduce ultra cpu-intensive loops with lru-cache etc.)

I’ll contact you when im done. Hopefully before christmas.

Best regards and thanks again for taking your time.

···

On Thursday, 8 December 2016 19:10:37 UTC+1, Rudelwolf wrote:

Hi

best regards

OK great I will try to take a detailed look on Saturday. In the mean time, if you have the ability to, can you confirm a few different combinations do or do not work, i.e. IE11 vs Edge, Win7 vs Win10?

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On Dec 8, 2016, at 1:44 PM, Rudelwolf <[email protected]> wrote:

I'd be honored to have my stuff in your Blog, i would like to change some stuff beforehand (locale, reduce ultra cpu-intensive loops with lru-cache etc.)
I'll contact you when im done. Hopefully before christmas.

Hi

best regards

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/e16d1602-e6af-4c0b-b1d4-e1683b5396c6%40continuum.io\.

OK I can actually confirm the plot is missing in Win10 Edge and IE11 too.

Maybe a first quick thing to try regarding that message:

That should actually be showing up in the server log, or at least I would expect it to. Is there some place in your app code that you are calling max() where you might be calling it on an empty list or array? If so, try fixing that first and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On Dec 8, 2016, at 1:53 PM, Bryan Van de Ven <[email protected]> wrote:

OK great I will try to take a detailed look on Saturday. In the mean time, if you have the ability to, can you confirm a few different combinations do or do not work, i.e. IE11 vs Edge, Win7 vs Win10?

Thanks,

Bryan

On Dec 8, 2016, at 1:44 PM, Rudelwolf <[email protected]> wrote:

I'd be honored to have my stuff in your Blog, i would like to change some stuff beforehand (locale, reduce ultra cpu-intensive loops with lru-cache etc.)
I'll contact you when im done. Hopefully before christmas.

Hi

best regards

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/e16d1602-e6af-4c0b-b1d4-e1683b5396c6%40continuum.io\.

That error stems from the max function called during the calculation of the contents of the green and red boxAnnotations (BoxSelecting while including the middle portion of the plot changes said boxes). Its not something IE specific, it always happens once startup of a session. Ill check it out, i don’t think thats whats bothering IE.

···

On Thursday, 8 December 2016 21:00:20 UTC+1, Bryan Van de ven wrote:

That should actually be showing up in the server log, or at least I would expect it to. Is there some place in your app code that you are calling max() where you might be calling it on an empty list or array? If so, try fixing that first and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks,

Bryan

On Dec 8, 2016, at 1:53 PM, Bryan Van de Ven [email protected] wrote:

Thanks,

Bryan

On Dec 8, 2016, at 1:44 PM, Rudelwolf [email protected] wrote:

I’d be honored to have my stuff in your Blog, i would like to change some stuff beforehand (locale, reduce ultra cpu-intensive loops with lru-cache etc.)

Hi

best regards

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/e16d1602-e6af-4c0b-b1d4-e1683b5396c6%40continuum.io.

I don't really expect it is the problem either, but it's good to exclude easy-to-exclude possibilities. Some other things you can try in the mean time as well:

* does the plot render in isolation (i.e. without the other plots)?
* does the plot render if you remove some subset of the glyphs?

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On Dec 8, 2016, at 2:09 PM, Rudelwolf <[email protected]> wrote:

That error stems from the max function called during the calculation of the contents of the green and red boxAnnotations (BoxSelecting while including the middle portion of the plot changes said boxes). Its not something IE specific, it always happens once startup of a session. Ill check it out, i don't think thats whats bothering IE.

Thanks,

Bryan

> On Dec 8, 2016, at 1:53 PM, Bryan Van de Ven <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> OK great I will try to take a detailed look on Saturday. In the mean time, if you have the ability to, can you confirm a few different combinations do or do not work, i.e. IE11 vs Edge, Win7 vs Win10?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bryan
>
>> On Dec 8, 2016, at 1:44 PM, Rudelwolf <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Pan and zoom added, no plot visible with any reasonable zoom.
>>
>> I'd be honored to have my stuff in your Blog, i would like to change some stuff beforehand (locale, reduce ultra cpu-intensive loops with lru-cache etc.)
>> I'll contact you when im done. Hopefully before christmas.
>>
>> Best regards and thanks again for taking your time.
>>
>> On Thursday, 8 December 2016 19:10:37 UTC+1, Rudelwolf wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Im now somewhat closer to finishing my project, but it seems like IE11 (IE11.0.9600) isn't in any mood to cooperate.
>> The plot is currently available under bevstat.internet-box.ch and so far chrome and firefox behave as expected.
>> When using IE11 the main plot on the upper left won't render. The whole page also reacts much slower to any changes on the slider.
>>
>> The bokeh server doesn't report anything unusual (same stuff as with the other browsers).
>>
>> Code (still needs a lot of work, pls don't judge :wink: is available at bevstat.py - Pastebin.com .
>>
>> I've seen topics discussing webGL and IE, but ive activated no such thing . If you can give me a hint what might be happening here it would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> best regards
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to bokeh+un...@continuum.io.
>> To post to this group, send email to bo...@continuum.io.
>> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/e16d1602-e6af-4c0b-b1d4-e1683b5396c6%40continuum.io\.
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout\.
>

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/76b0a2e5-208e-4abd-9962-87cb37ec0c6d%40continuum.io\.

Thanks Bryan

Will do. Ill probably start with just a simple plot and 1 hbar and work myself up from there. Thanks for the support

···

Am 08.12.2016 21:32 schrieb “Bryan Van de Ven” [email protected]:

I don’t really expect it is the problem either, but it’s good to exclude easy-to-exclude possibilities. Some other things you can try in the mean time as well:

• does the plot render in isolation (i.e. without the other plots)?

• does the plot render if you remove some subset of the glyphs?

Thanks,

Bryan

On Dec 8, 2016, at 2:09 PM, Rudelwolf [email protected] wrote:

That error stems from the max function called during the calculation of the contents of the green and red boxAnnotations (BoxSelecting while including the middle portion of the plot changes said boxes). Its not something IE specific, it always happens once startup of a session. Ill check it out, i don’t think thats whats bothering IE.

Thanks,

Bryan

On Dec 8, 2016, at 1:53 PM, Bryan Van de Ven [email protected] wrote:

Thanks,

Bryan

On Dec 8, 2016, at 1:44 PM, Rudelwolf [email protected] wrote:

Hi

best regards

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/e16d1602-e6af-4c0b-b1d4-e1683b5396c6%40continuum.io.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/76b0a2e5-208e-4abd-9962-87cb37ec0c6d%40continuum.io.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/6E072EFF-0E73-4732-B46F-5CFC2FF80022%40continuum.io.

Alright, i have done some testing. It seems that the IE really doesn’t show hbars at all, no matter their size/amount. I highly doubt that i can be of any further help with this, as i am but a lowly sysadmin.
If you can reproduce this, ill log a bugreport on your github.

Tested with the following code:

import numpy as np

from bokeh.io import curdoc

from bokeh.plotting import figure

from bokeh.models import ColumnDataSource

arr = np.arange(200,301)

y = [k for k in range(101)]

source_m = ColumnDataSource(data=dict(y=y, display=arr))

plot = figure(plot_height=400, plot_width=600, title=“There is no system but GNU, and Linux is one of its kernels.”,

tools=["save"],

x_range=[-450, 450],

y_range=[0, 101])

m_plot = plot.hbar(right=‘display’, y=‘y’, source=source_m, line_width=6, line_alpha=0.5, color=“blue”)

curdoc().add_root(plot)

···

Hi

best regards

I have news! This is definitely a bug. I can reproduce it, so please make a GH issue. But, I also have a workaround. Things work if I add a height parameter explicitly:

plot.hbar(right='display', y='y', height=0.2, source=source_m, line_width=6, line_alpha=0.5, color="blue")

My best initial guess is that the defaults for some of the glyph properties are somehow being interpreted as null, at least on Windows. Make an issue and I will continue to look into it, but hopefully this will get you moving forward.

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On Dec 8, 2016, at 6:36 PM, Rudelwolf <[email protected]> wrote:

Alright, i have done some testing. It seems that the IE really doesn't show hbars at all, no matter their size/amount. I highly doubt that i can be of any further help with this, as i am but a lowly sysadmin.

import numpy as np

arr = np.arange(200,301)

plot = figure(plot_height=400, plot_width=600, title="There is no system but GNU, and Linux is one of its kernels.",
              tools=["save"],
              x_range=[-450, 450],
              y_range=[0, 101])

m_plot = plot.hbar(right='display', y='y', source=source_m, line_width=6, line_alpha=0.5, color="blue")

curdoc().add_root(plot)

Hi

best regards

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/8f06fb8b-41e5-42d3-bb8a-b611f2089298%40continuum.io\.

Hi,

I posted this on the issue too, but I will also note it here. After some thought, I realized that the problem is that "height" is not an optional parameter, and the fact that it "worked" on non-IE browsers without having "height" supplied is really an unintentional accident. In the current most recent code, not supplying "height" actually results in a good error:

[bryan:/tmp]$ ~/work/bokeh/bin/bokeh serve --show foo.py
    2016-12-09 09:12:27,594 Starting Bokeh server version 0.12.4dev7-55-g9210f28
    2016-12-09 09:12:27,601 Starting Bokeh server on port 5006 with applications at paths ['/foo']
    2016-12-09 09:12:27,601 Starting Bokeh server with process id: 4483
    2016-12-09 09:12:28,028 Error running application handler <bokeh.application.handlers.script.ScriptHandler object at 0x114590e48>: hbar() missing 1 required positional argument: 'height'
    File "foo.py", line 15, in <module>:
    m_plot = plot.hbar(right='display', y='y', source=source_m, line_width=6, line_alpha=0.5, color="blue") Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/Users/bryan/work/bokeh/bokeh/application/handlers/code_runner.py", line 83, in run
        exec(self._code, module.__dict__)
      File "/private/tmp/foo.py", line 15, in <module>
        m_plot = plot.hbar(right='display', y='y', source=source_m, line_width=6, line_alpha=0.5, color="blue")
    TypeError: hbar() missing 1 required positional argument: 'height'

So, long story short: make sure to give all the required parameters, new versions make it easier to know when a required parameter is missing.

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On Dec 8, 2016, at 6:53 PM, Bryan Van de Ven <[email protected]> wrote:

I have news! This is definitely a bug. I can reproduce it, so please make a GH issue. But, I also have a workaround. Things work if I add a height parameter explicitly:

plot.hbar(right='display', y='y', height=0.2, source=source_m, line_width=6, line_alpha=0.5, color="blue")

My best initial guess is that the defaults for some of the glyph properties are somehow being interpreted as null, at least on Windows. Make an issue and I will continue to look into it, but hopefully this will get you moving forward.

Thanks,

Bryan

On Dec 8, 2016, at 6:36 PM, Rudelwolf <[email protected]> wrote:

Alright, i have done some testing. It seems that the IE really doesn't show hbars at all, no matter their size/amount. I highly doubt that i can be of any further help with this, as i am but a lowly sysadmin.

import numpy as np

arr = np.arange(200,301)

plot = figure(plot_height=400, plot_width=600, title="There is no system but GNU, and Linux is one of its kernels.",
             tools=["save"],
             x_range=[-450, 450],
             y_range=[0, 101])

curdoc().add_root(plot)

Hi

best regards

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/8f06fb8b-41e5-42d3-bb8a-b611f2089298%40continuum.io\.

My bokeh generated html (along with javascript) is not displaying in IE11 at all. It works kind of ok in chrome and firefox. My question is: is it supposed to work in IE11?

Thanks

I think Bokeh v2 is supposed to support IE11, so please feel free to create an issue on Bokeh’s GitHub page will all the necessary details.