Issue with 2.3.0dev13 and Holoviews/Panel

Hi guys,

I came across an issue with bokeh 2.3.0dev13 not playing nicely with holoviews, so raising here for comment before raising any bug reports in github.

The simple act of importing holoviews (1.14.1) causes a bokeh-related javascript error.

Try running the script below with the holoviews import uncommented, and you see the following javascript error in the console;

# #######################################
# Run with: bokeh serve <filename>
# #######################################

from bokeh.models import Div
from bokeh.plotting import curdoc

# Simply import holoviews (1.14.1) to see the error in the Javascript console
import holoviews as hv

# Build the simplest possible page
doc = curdoc()
div = Div(text='Check the console for errors when you import holoviews')
doc.add_root(div)

With the import line commented, we see no error:

Question is - does this look like it needs reporting to Holoviews or is it something that Team Bokeh can work with?

Thanks!

Regards,
Richard.

My guess is that Holoviews may need a version rev regardless, but I am not certain. cc @mateusz @Philipp_Rudiger but the fastest way to get more visibility for this is probably just to file an issue on the Bokeh tracker. We are very late in the 2.3 release process so better to figure out sooner than later.

Yes, we’ll be releasing new versions of Panel and HoloViews shortly after the Bokeh release happens.

@Philipp_Rudiger :+1: would you say this incompatibility is expected (can be ignored), then?

@Philipp_Rudiger , @Bryan - looks like this issue is still present. I’m using Bokeh 2.3.0 and Holoviews 1.14.2 and see the same behavior from just importing holoviews.