JS: monitor changes in core properties?

The helpful example for wrapping a JS library uses a bokeh.models.ColumnDataSource in order to update the graph whenever the data changes.

Can I also monitor changes in, say, a bokeh.core.properties.String or bokeh.core.properties.Dict?

I’m trying to write a JSmol bokeh extension and I’m currently just awkwardly passing things through a ColumnDataSource that don’t really belong there.

The code that does the monitoring in the example is

# Set a listener so that when the Bokeh data source has a change
    # event, we can process the new data
    @connect(@model.data_source.change, () =>
        @_graph.setData(@get_data())
    )

``

which uses the .change property that does not seem to be available for core properties

Best,

Leopold

Hi,

···

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 11:28 PM, Leopold Talirz [email protected] wrote:

The helpful example for wrapping a JS library uses a bokeh.models.ColumnDataSource in order to update the graph whenever the data changes.

Can I also monitor changes in, say, a bokeh.core.properties.String or bokeh.core.properties.Dict?

I’m trying to write a JSmol bokeh extension and I’m currently just awkwardly passing things through a ColumnDataSource that don’t really belong there.

)

``

which uses the .change property that does not seem to be available for core properties

there are two types of change signals, one for models and one for individual properties:

1. this.connect(this.model.data_source.change, listener) will invoke the listener when the contents of the object referenced by data_source changed

2. this.connect(this.model.properties.data_source.properties.change, listener) will invoke the listener when the value of data_source property changed

If you want to listen listen to change to a particular property of a data source (e.g. data), then you would use this.connect(this.model.data_source.properties.data.change, listener).

Mateusz

Best,

Leopold

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

To post to this group, send email to [email protected].

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/42e9c72f-6377-4639-9f5a-da393680aff8%40continuum.io.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout.

Dear Mateusz,

thank you very much for your advice! It already simplifies things to be able to just watch the “data” property without having to re-create the whole object.

What I was trying to get at originally - do I need to use ColumnDataSource at all?

I.e. if what I would like to watch is not really columnar data but, say, a string or a dictionary, what object should I use on the python side?

As an alternative to watching, it would also be fine to add a function to the extension that can be called explicitly from the python side - could you maybe point me to an example of how to do this?

Best wishes,

Leopold

···

On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 2:03:16 PM UTC+2, mateusz.paprocki wrote:

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 11:28 PM, Leopold Talirz [email protected] wrote:

)

``

there are two types of change signals, one for models and one for individual properties:

1. this.connect(this.model.data_source.change, listener) will invoke the listener when the contents of the object referenced by data_source changed
  1. this.connect(this.model.properties.data_source.properties.change, listener) will invoke the listener when the value of data_source property changed

If you want to listen listen to change to a particular property of a data source (e.g. data), then you would use this.connect(this.model.data_source.properties.data.change, listener).

Mateusz

Best,

Leopold

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

To post to this group, send email to [email protected].

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/42e9c72f-6377-4639-9f5a-da393680aff8%40continuum.io.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout.