Map tile and x values limits

Hi,

I have a bokeh figure which use x_axis_type=“mercator” and y_axis_type=“mercator”.
When I don’t use tile I obtain this map

As you can see the figure is encapsulated by the xmin,ymin, xmax and ymax values of my map.
Now, and with the same map, if I add a tile, esri for instance, I get this:

As you can see some value seems to be added to xmin and xmax.
Why this happen and is there a solution to remove it ? :face_with_monocle:
By advance thank you.
cheers
Olivier
PS:By the way Bokeh gives very beautiful map :muscle:

Hi,

I don’t know if this is related. I use “None” as the tile provider and the map works fine without any distortion.

Cheers,

In case you want to borrow some code:

thanks for the code. I didn’t know Pandas-Bokeh.
My problem is a boundary problem. I use total_bounds from my geopandas
to access the x and y limits of my map and use x_range in my bokeh figure.
But Bokeh figure seems to add an offset to this limit when tile is used …

It is a bit hard to speculate without a minimal reproducible example. The perspective I can add is that in the apps where I use an ESRI tile provider with bokeh I do the following to set up tile-with-overlay-plot graphics

1. do not explicitly set x_range or y_range, i.e. use the default behavior here
  2. set match_aspect=True (in order to preserve the aspect ratio for my case where I am dynamically overlaying vehicle flight paths on the map)

With that in mind, is it the case that the extra buffer to the left/right of the map area of interest is due to wanting to preserve the correct aspect ratio? If you change the width/height parameters of your plot do these buffers follow suit?

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply.
You are right, Bokeh is trying to keep the aspect ratio and this take into account the plot_width, plot_height, x_range, y_range and the total_bounds calculation from geopandas should be in the loop somehow … I will try to find where this is implemented.
By the way plot_width=plot_height seems to give a better rendered.
thanks for you tips :pray:
cheers,
Olivier

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.