Non-unique legend ids/labels

I’m working on an application that displays a set of 5 lines that are based on a clustered average of 105 other lines.

In my legend, I have it labeling the 5 lines as “x of 105 passes” with x representing how many lines were clustered into that one line.

However, if multiple lines that are plotted happen to be clustered with the same number of lines, Bokeh will only render one label to the legend. Is there a workaround for this?

I would like the legend to look like this:

···

86 of 105 passes

2 of 105 passes

14 of 105 passes

4 of 105 passes

4 of 105 passes

However, it ends up like this:

86 of 105 passes

2 of 105 passes

14 of 105 passes

4 of 105 passes

Note, it is possible to add a prefix tag like “L1: 86 of 105 pases … L2: 4 of 105 passes” but I’d like to know if there is a workaround for this without having to do that.

···

On Friday, September 28, 2018 at 12:08:21 PM UTC-4, Timothy Snyder wrote:

I’m working on an application that displays a set of 5 lines that are based on a clustered average of 105 other lines.

In my legend, I have it labeling the 5 lines as “x of 105 passes” with x representing how many lines were clustered into that one line.

However, if multiple lines that are plotted happen to be clustered with the same number of lines, Bokeh will only render one label to the legend. Is there a workaround for this?

86 of 105 passes

2 of 105 passes

14 of 105 passes

4 of 105 passes

4 of 105 passes

86 of 105 passes

2 of 105 passes

14 of 105 passes

4 of 105 passes

Hi,

Instead of passing a "legend" argument to the glyph method, you can construct the legend items manually:

https://github.com/bokeh/bokeh/blob/master/examples/app/taylor.py#L36-L41

It's fine for legends to have identical labels in general, but when using the convenience mechanism of passing "legend" to a glyph function, the assumption is that you want identical labels coalesced (e.g. drawing a line together with markers, you want both as part of the legend).

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On Sep 28, 2018, at 09:09, Timothy Snyder <[email protected]> wrote:

Note, it is possible to add a prefix tag like "L1: 86 of 105 pases ... L2: 4 of 105 passes" but I'd like to know if there is a workaround for this without having to do that.

On Friday, September 28, 2018 at 12:08:21 PM UTC-4, Timothy Snyder wrote:
I'm working on an application that displays a set of 5 lines that are based on a clustered average of 105 other lines.

In my legend, I have it labeling the 5 lines as "x of 105 passes" with x representing how many lines were clustered into that one line.

------------------------
86 of 105 passes
2 of 105 passes
14 of 105 passes
4 of 105 passes
4 of 105 passes
------------------------

------------------------
86 of 105 passes
2 of 105 passes
14 of 105 passes
4 of 105 passes
------------------------

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/258d4d00-77eb-4ca0-8d0c-1291d280f89a%40continuum.io\.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout\.

Thanks for the response Bryan. I’ve since implemented this but I’ve run into another problem. I’m using a MultiLine to represent 5 lines on the plot. However, when I add the glyph to the plot, I’m returned one GlyphRenderer. As such, this renderer is all I have to supply to my LegendItems. Now, the appearance of each entry in the legend is based on the first line in my MultiLine

def build_legend_clean(renderer, pass_data):

legend = Legend(location="top_left")

num_clusters = pass_data.num_clusters

num_passes_by_cluster = pass_data.num_passes_by_cluster

total_passes = pass_data.total_passes

for i, (num_passes) in enumerate(num_passes_by_cluster):

lbl = "{:.0%}".format(num_passes / total_passes)

legend.items.append(LegendItem(label=lbl, renderers=[renderer]))

return legend

I’ve attached an image so you can better see what I’m stuck on. The legend highlighted in red is the problem one. The other legend is the desired result (achieved in a hacky way where I plotted the 5 lines individually and then made them invisible). Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks for the help Bryan.

Ignore the percentages in the two legend samples. Concerned about the color and width of lines.

···

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 10:24 AM Timothy Snyder [email protected] wrote:

Thanks for the response Bryan. I’ve since implemented this but I’ve run into another problem. I’m using a MultiLine to represent 5 lines on the plot. However, when I add the glyph to the plot, I’m returned one GlyphRenderer. As such, this renderer is all I have to supply to my LegendItems. Now, the appearance of each entry in the legend is based on the first line in my MultiLine

return legend

I’ve attached an image so you can better see what I’m stuck on. The legend highlighted in red is the problem one. The other legend is the desired result (achieved in a hacky way where I plotted the 5 lines individually and then made them invisible). Any insight would be helpful.

Hi,

This specific capability was only added in a very recent PR:

https://github.com/bokeh/bokeh/pull/8218

It will be available the upcoming release (or currently in "dev builds")

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On Oct 9, 2018, at 07:25, Timothy Snyder <[email protected]> wrote:

Ignore the percentages in the two legend samples. Concerned about the color and width of lines.

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 10:24 AM Timothy Snyder <[email protected]> wrote:
Thanks for the response Bryan. I've since implemented this but I've run into another problem. I'm using a MultiLine to represent 5 lines on the plot. However, when I add the glyph to the plot, I'm returned one GlyphRenderer. As such, this renderer is all I have to supply to my LegendItems. Now, the appearance of each entry in the legend is based on the first line in my MultiLine

return legend

I've attached an image so you can better see what I'm stuck on. The legend highlighted in red is the problem one. The other legend is the desired result (achieved in a hacky way where I plotted the 5 lines individually and then made them invisible). Any insight would be helpful.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/CABtjQ9%2B-yYGzT6H4C4uFLfk6yp1ht1KWh%3DNYX9StjC%2BV-biBCg%40mail.gmail.com\.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout\.