Simplest end-to-end example that shows basic communication with the server

Hi Bokeh community,

I have been using the latest dev builds to test a few apps and widgets, e.g taylor_server.py and stock_app.py. They are fantastic. Congrats on the great work!

Looking at the code of these examples is very helpful, but I am wondering if there is an even simpler app/widget that demos thecommunication with the server with minimal complexity (no plotting involved). I am thinking of the following app:

1. The app only has an **input text box, **a submit button and an **output text box. **
  1. When the user loads the site, he/she can type text in the input box, submit the text, and the server writes back on the output box with the original text but in all caps. That’s it.

Is this functionality currently possible in Bokeh? Are there any examples that show this or that can be used as building blocks for this example?

Thanks again!

Josh

By the way, the motivation behind this example would be to have a simple interactive “hello world” example that demos the “event loop” alone without any plotting or charts involved. I.e. it would show :

1. How to tell the server to listen to simple app events (text input)

2. How to tell the server to run arbitrary python code upon on an event (text box entry or the user clicks on “submit” button). In this case, this python code makes the text all caps.

3. How the server communicates back with the output on the browser (i.e. showing the text in all caps in the output text box)

Does that make sense?

Josh

···

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 10:20 AM, Josh Wasserstein [email protected] wrote:

Hi Bokeh community,

I have been using the latest dev builds to test a few apps and widgets, e.g taylor_server.py and stock_app.py. They are fantastic. Congrats on the great work!

Looking at the code of these examples is very helpful, but I am wondering if there is an even simpler app/widget that demos thecommunication with the server with minimal complexity (no plotting involved). I am thinking of the following app:

1. The app only has an **input text box, **a submit button and an **output text box. **
  1. When the user loads the site, he/she can type text in the input box, submit the text, and the server writes back on the output box with the original text but in all caps. That’s it.

Is this functionality currently possible in Bokeh? Are there any examples that show this or that can be used as building blocks for this example?

Thanks again!

Josh