Single update function for toggle butons

Greetings…

I am interested in knowing if there is a way to use a
single update function for toggle buttons. I would like to create a total of 6 toggle buttons:

#Setup Toggle Button Widget
Tog_Ar = Toggle(label=“Argon Off”, type = “success”)
Tog_TMA = Toggle(label=“TMA”, type = “success”)
Tog_WATER = Toggle(label=“WATER”, type = “success”)
Tog_DEZn = Toggle(label=“DEZn”, type = “success”)
Tog_O2 = Toggle(label=“TiF4”, type = “success”)
Tog_Ellip = Toggle(label=“Ellipsometer”, type = “success”)

And
each button when clicked will turn on or off an actuator via a simple external python command that has already been written and tested and that command looks like this:

ljm.Actuator(Name,State)

where
Name is the actuator name, i.e. Tog_Ar from the above button name is the Ar actuator and the State is either “On” or “Off”.

I would like to use the :

Tog_Ar.on_click(toggle_handler)

with a generalized toggle_handler function such that:

#On Click
def toggle_handler(attr, old, new):
if attr is active:
ljm.Actuator(Name,OFF)
else:
ljm.Actuator(Name,ON)

My preference is to not write a seperate toggle_handler for each button. Is this possible?

Thanks.

–V

···

I don’t believe that there is a way to determine the changed object directly from the callback arguments, however you can always pass the context (the actuator) with some sort of function argument currying, such as with functools.partial: 9.8. functools — Higher-order functions and operations on callable objects — Python 2.7.18 documentation

• Andy
···

On Sunday, January 22, 2017 at 10:24:36 PM UTC-5, Vivek Dwivedi wrote:

Greetings…

single update function for toggle buttons. I would like to create a total of 6 toggle buttons:

And
each button when clicked will turn on or off an actuator via a simple external python command that has already been written and tested and that command looks like this:

ljm.Actuator(Name,State)

where
Name is the actuator name, i.e. Tog_Ar from the above button name is the Ar actuator and the State is either “On” or “Off”.

#On Click
if attr is active:
ljm.Actuator(Name,OFF)
else:
ljm.Actuator(Name,ON)

My preference is to not write a seperate toggle_handler for each button. Is this possible?

Thanks.

–V

Ok thank you. For the button widget is there a way to define new attributes? Such as on or off or some type of metadata text?

···

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 23, 2017, at 11:19 AM, [email protected] wrote:

I don’t believe that there is a way to determine the changed object directly from the callback arguments, however you can always pass the context (the actuator) with some sort of function argument currying, such as with functools.partial: https://docs.python.org/2/library/functools.html#functools.partial

• Andy

Greetings…

And

ljm.Actuator(Name,State)

where

#On Click
if attr is active:
ljm.Actuator(Name,OFF)
else:
ljm.Actuator(Name,ON)

Thanks.

–V

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

To post to this group, send email to [email protected].

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/e9e75456-a0fb-494c-b35c-ed62bd05752d%40continuum.io.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout.

You can't define new data, but there is a .tags attribute on all Bokeh models that is just a list where you can put whatever bits of data you like, that you could access from CustomJS callbacks, or python server callbacks, etc:

from bokeh.plotting import figure, output_file, show

output_file("border.html")

p = figure(plot_width=400, plot_height=400)
  p.tags = ["foo", 10]

p.circle([1,2,3,4,5], [2,5,8,2,7], size=10)

show(p)

For 0.12.5 there will be a "Namespace" feature that will let users essentially create and define named variables that can be shared and synced between BokehJS and Python.

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On Jan 23, 2017, at 11:21 AM, Vivek Dwivedi <[email protected]> wrote:

Ok thank you. For the button widget is there a way to define new attributes? Such as on or off or some type of metadata text?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

I don't believe that there is a way to determine the changed object directly from the callback arguments, however you can always pass the context (the actuator) with some sort of function argument currying, such as with functools.partial: 9.8. functools — Higher-order functions and operations on callable objects — Python 2.7.18 documentation

- Andy

Greetings...

I am interested in knowing if there is a way to use a single update function for toggle buttons. I would like to create a total of 6 toggle buttons:

Tog_Ar = Toggle(label="Argon Off", type = "success")
Tog_TMA = Toggle(label="TMA", type = "success")
Tog_WATER = Toggle(label="WATER", type = "success")
Tog_DEZn = Toggle(label="DEZn", type = "success")
Tog_O2 = Toggle(label="TiF4", type = "success")
Tog_Ellip = Toggle(label="Ellipsometer", type = "success")

And each button when clicked will turn on or off an actuator via a simple external python command that has already been written and tested and that command looks like this:

ljm.Actuator(Name,State)

where Name is the actuator name, i.e. Tog_Ar from the above button name is the Ar actuator and the State is either "On" or "Off".

#On Click
    if attr is active:
         ljm.Actuator(Name,OFF)
    else:
         ljm.Actuator(Name,ON)

Thanks.

--V

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/e9e75456-a0fb-494c-b35c-ed62bd05752d%40continuum.io\.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout\.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/559C1732-FFE6-47B1-BF4D-1577CFFBB28F%40gmail.com\.

Hi Bryan:

Thank you for your reply. However I’m not to sure how i can use the custom tag for the on_click method…

If we set up our toggle buttons:

Tog_Ar = Toggle(label=“Argon Off”, button_type = “success”)
Tog_Ar.tags = [[“State”,“OFF”]]

and if we define a new tag that has a specific value for each toggle
Tog_Ar.tags = [“IO”,“EIO0”]
Tog_TMA.tags = [“IO”,“EIO1”]
ect.

and if we define a python execution such that
ValveOn(“IO”,1)
ValveOFF(“IO”,0)

Where “IO” is “EIO0” or “EIO1” tags depending on which toggle we choose

how do we define the toggle_handler function such that on the first click we chose ValveOn(“IO”,1) and on the second click we choose ValveOn(“IO”,0) with “IO” being the tag value for each toggle?

I’m having a tough time wrapping my head around the on_click method.

Thanks.

–Vivek

···

On Monday, January 23, 2017 at 12:26:01 PM UTC-5, Bryan Van de ven wrote:

You can’t define new data, but there is a .tags attribute on all Bokeh models that is just a list where you can put whatever bits of data you like, that you could access from CustomJS callbacks, or python server callbacks, etc:

p.tags = ["foo", 10]

show(p)

For 0.12.5 there will be a “Namespace” feature that will let users essentially create and define named variables that can be shared and synced between BokehJS and Python.

Thanks,

Bryan

On Jan 23, 2017, at 11:21 AM, Vivek Dwivedi [email protected] wrote:

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

I don’t believe that there is a way to determine the changed object directly from the callback arguments, however you can always pass the context (the actuator) with some sort of function argument currying, such as with functools.partial: https://docs.python.org/2/library/functools.html#functools.partial

• Andy

Greetings…

I am interested in knowing if there is a way to use a single update function for toggle buttons. I would like to create a total of 6 toggle buttons:

And each button when clicked will turn on or off an actuator via a simple external python command that has already been written and tested and that command looks like this:

ljm.Actuator(Name,State)

where Name is the actuator name, i.e. Tog_Ar from the above button name is the Ar actuator and the State is either “On” or “Off”.

#On Click

if attr is active:
     ljm.Actuator(Name,OFF)
else:
     ljm.Actuator(Name,ON)

Thanks.

–V

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/e9e75456-a0fb-494c-b35c-ed62bd05752d%40continuum.io.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/559C1732-FFE6-47B1-BF4D-1577CFFBB28F%40gmail.com.

Vivek,

My apologies I don't have the ability to dig into this more deeply the moment. I was merely responding to the question:

For the button widget is there a way to define new attributes? Such as on or off or some type of metadata text?

Adding arbitrary metadata is the essential purpose of .tags, I assumed since you were asking you already had a use or strategy in mind, and just needed guidance on what the basic mechanism was.

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On Jan 23, 2017, at 1:06 PM, Vivek Dwivedi <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Bryan:

Thank you for your reply. However I'm not to sure how i can use the custom tag for the on_click method...

Tog_Ar = Toggle(label="Argon Off", button_type = "success")
Tog_Ar.tags = [["State","OFF"]]
Tog_TMA = Toggle(label="TMA", type = "success")
Tog_WATER = Toggle(label="WATER", type = "success")
Tog_DEZn = Toggle(label="DEZn", type = "success")
Tog_O2 = Toggle(label="TiF4", type = "success")
Tog_Ellip = Toggle(label="Ellipsometer", type = "success")

Tog_Ar.tags = ["IO","EIO0"]
Tog_TMA.tags = ["IO","EIO1"]
ect.

ValveOn("IO",1)
ValveOFF("IO",0)

Where "IO" is "EIO0" or "EIO1" tags depending on which toggle we choose

how do we define the toggle_handler function such that on the first click we chose ValveOn("IO",1) and on the second click we choose ValveOn("IO",0) with "IO" being the tag value for each toggle?

I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around the on_click method.

Thanks.

--Vivek

You can't define new data, but there is a .tags attribute on all Bokeh models that is just a list where you can put whatever bits of data you like, that you could access from CustomJS callbacks, or python server callbacks, etc:

p.tags = ["foo", 10]

show(p)

For 0.12.5 there will be a "Namespace" feature that will let users essentially create and define named variables that can be shared and synced between BokehJS and Python.

Thanks,

Bryan

> On Jan 23, 2017, at 11:21 AM, Vivek Dwivedi <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Ok thank you. For the button widget is there a way to define new attributes? Such as on or off or some type of metadata text?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jan 23, 2017, at 11:19 AM, azp...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> I don't believe that there is a way to determine the changed object directly from the callback arguments, however you can always pass the context (the actuator) with some sort of function argument currying, such as with functools.partial: 9.8. functools — Higher-order functions and operations on callable objects — Python 2.7.18 documentation
>>
>> - Andy
>>
>> On Sunday, January 22, 2017 at 10:24:36 PM UTC-5, Vivek Dwivedi wrote:
>> Greetings...
>>
>> I am interested in knowing if there is a way to use a single update function for toggle buttons. I would like to create a total of 6 toggle buttons:
>>
>> #Setup Toggle Button Widget
>> Tog_Ar = Toggle(label="Argon Off", type = "success")
>> Tog_TMA = Toggle(label="TMA", type = "success")
>> Tog_WATER = Toggle(label="WATER", type = "success")
>> Tog_DEZn = Toggle(label="DEZn", type = "success")
>> Tog_O2 = Toggle(label="TiF4", type = "success")
>> Tog_Ellip = Toggle(label="Ellipsometer", type = "success")
>>
>> And each button when clicked will turn on or off an actuator via a simple external python command that has already been written and tested and that command looks like this:
>>
>> ljm.Actuator(Name,State)
>>
>> where Name is the actuator name, i.e. Tog_Ar from the above button name is the Ar actuator and the State is either "On" or "Off".
>>
>> I would like to use the :
>>
>> Tog_Ar.on_click(toggle_handler)
>>
>> with a generalized toggle_handler function such that:
>>
>> #On Click
>> def toggle_handler(attr, old, new):
>> if attr is active:
>> ljm.Actuator(Name,OFF)
>> else:
>> ljm.Actuator(Name,ON)
>>
>>
>> My preference is to not write a seperate toggle_handler for each button. Is this possible?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --V
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to bokeh+un...@continuum.io.
>> To post to this group, send email to bo...@continuum.io.
>> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/e9e75456-a0fb-494c-b35c-ed62bd05752d%40continuum.io\.
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout\.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to bokeh+un...@continuum.io.
> To post to this group, send email to bo...@continuum.io.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/559C1732-FFE6-47B1-BF4D-1577CFFBB28F%40gmail.com\.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout\.

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/88c8bb13-4276-4911-9a90-630a09785e4c%40continuum.io\.

I wouldn’t really recommend using metadata, its just an indirect way of solving your problem here. All you need is to pass a specialized version of a generalized callback with the appropriate data. Most likely the cleanest way is to define a class where each instance consists of some data, and then you can pass along an instancemethod. Or you can use function currying as I mentioned earlier:

import functools

def handler(metadata, attr, old_value, new_value):

print(metadata[“IO”], attr, new_value) // “EIO0”, etc, for Ar

Tog_Ar.on_change(“active”, functools.partial(handler, {“IO”: “EIO0”}))

// … etc

···

On Monday, January 23, 2017 at 2:14:04 PM UTC-5, Bryan Van de ven wrote:

Vivek,

My apologies I don’t have the ability to dig into this more deeply the moment. I was merely responding to the question:

For the button widget is there a way to define new attributes? Such as on or off or some type of metadata text?

Adding arbitrary metadata is the essential purpose of .tags, I assumed since you were asking you already had a use or strategy in mind, and just needed guidance on what the basic mechanism was.

Thanks,

Bryan

On Jan 23, 2017, at 1:06 PM, Vivek Dwivedi [email protected] wrote:

Hi Bryan:

Thank you for your reply. However I’m not to sure how i can use the custom tag for the on_click method…

ect.

ValveOn(“IO”,1)

ValveOFF(“IO”,0)

how do we define the toggle_handler function such that on the first click we chose ValveOn(“IO”,1) and on the second click we choose ValveOn(“IO”,0) with “IO” being the tag value for each toggle?

Thanks.

–Vivek

You can’t define new data, but there is a .tags attribute on all Bokeh models that is just a list where you can put whatever bits of data you like, that you could access from CustomJS callbacks, or python server callbacks, etc:

p.tags = ["foo", 10]

show(p)

For 0.12.5 there will be a “Namespace” feature that will let users essentially create and define named variables that can be shared and synced between BokehJS and Python.

Thanks,

Bryan

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

• Andy

Greetings…

ljm.Actuator(Name,State)

where Name is the actuator name, i.e. Tog_Ar from the above button name is the Ar actuator and the State is either “On” or “Off”.

#On Click
if attr is active:
ljm.Actuator(Name,OFF)
else:
ljm.Actuator(Name,ON)

Thanks.

–V

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/559C1732-FFE6-47B1-BF4D-1577CFFBB28F%40gmail.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/88c8bb13-4276-4911-9a90-630a09785e4c%40continuum.io.

Ok, that works very well and thank you. It really does simplify my code. The next question is how can can you now change the box color to Red if the toggle is active or change the text to “Argon ON” if active within the handler method. I am defining the toggles as such:

Tog_Ar = Toggle(label=“Argon OFF”, button_type = “success”)

print(metadata[“IO”], attr, new_value)

Thanks.

–Vivek

···

On Monday, January 23, 2017 at 2:39:27 PM UTC-5, [email protected] wrote:

I wouldn’t really recommend using metadata, its just an indirect way of solving your problem here. All you need is to pass a specialized version of a generalized callback with the appropriate data. Most likely the cleanest way is to define a class where each instance consists of some data, and then you can pass along an instancemethod. Or you can use function currying as I mentioned earlier:

import functools

print(metadata[“IO”], attr, new_value) // “EIO0”, etc, for Ar

Tog_Ar.on_change(“active”, functools.partial(handler, {“IO”: “EIO0”}))

// … etc

On Monday, January 23, 2017 at 2:14:04 PM UTC-5, Bryan Van de ven wrote:

Vivek,

My apologies I don’t have the ability to dig into this more deeply the moment. I was merely responding to the question:

Thanks,

Bryan

On Jan 23, 2017, at 1:06 PM, Vivek Dwivedi [email protected] wrote:

Hi Bryan:

ect.

ValveOn(“IO”,1)

ValveOFF(“IO”,0)

Thanks.

–Vivek

p.tags = ["foo", 10]

show(p)

Thanks,

Bryan

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

• Andy

Greetings…

ljm.Actuator(Name,State)

#On Click
if attr is active:
ljm.Actuator(Name,OFF)
else:
ljm.Actuator(Name,ON)

Thanks.

–V

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/88c8bb13-4276-4911-9a90-630a09785e4c%40continuum.io.