Some unsolicited feedback

Regarding deployment. There are so many Streamlit deployment tutorials out there that the community can use on of those directly or to contribute Bokeh/ Panel deployment guides.

Just noting you can see the change deployed in the preview dev docs:

@Bryan: So happy to see!

Regarding deployment: The Panel docs (Server Deployment — Panel 0.12.5 documentation) has all the information I was looking for. It would be good to make this more visible from the Bokeh website.

2 Likes

Great discussion and thanks for sharing your thoughts @efremdan1. I myself am still on the fence, having done two medium sized projects now, one with Dash and one with Bokeh.

For my next project I am looking into redash, which uses Dash. Although I prefer the architecture and overall philosophy of Bokeh more, having complete frameworks for dashboarding significantly lightens the development load in my daily work.

Will have a look at Panel to see how that has evolved over the past years.

1 Like

Looks like I’m sticking around with bokeh a bit longer. The websockets allowing for a session to retain its state is just too wonderful :slight_smile:

I figured it might be helpful to catalog some other issues that I think can be fixed with the documentation:

The other day, I was looking into using the tabs widget. I knew to find the user guide section on tabs here: Adding widgets — Bokeh 2.4.2 Documentation. However, I wanted to see what options were available for the widget, which requires looking at the references section. This was very tricky. Going to Reference — Bokeh 2.4.2 Documentation, I recalled that the widgets are all documented under bokeh.models. Then, I opened each of the bokeh.models.widgets options and Ctrl+f’ed for “tabs”. After not finding the widget, I had to resort to the search bar, which eventually showed me that the tabs widget is actually under bokeh.models.layouts.

I think it would be very helpful for the User Guide to have a link that brings you to the corresponding Reference section.

Another:

I’m embedding the Bokeh server in a standalone document. Per Running a Bokeh server — Bokeh 2.4.2 Documentation, “Also note that most every command line argument for bokeh serve has a corresponding keyword argument to Server . For instance, setting the –allow-websocket-origin command line argument is equivalent to passing allow_websocket_origin as a parameter.”

I wanted to pass in --check-unused-sessions, which I guessed would be possible. However, per the Reference on Server (bokeh.server.server — Bokeh 2.4.2 Documentation), this was not an option. I tried anyway, and no warning was passed, but my passing in this argument had no effect on the program.

I dug deeper. I looked at the Reference on Serve (serve — Bokeh 2.4.2 Documentation), and then I looked into the source code on Serve (bokeh.command.subcommands.serve — Bokeh 2.4.2 Documentation). I found that the “check_unused_sessions_milliseconds” was the actual name of the argument I needed to pass in. I tried this, and indeed it worked.

Kind of crazy needing to look at the source code on “Serve” to figure out the argument needed to pass into “Server”…

@efremdan1 I’m glad to hear that! And thanks also for the continued comments. Just purely as an FYI check_unused_sessions_milliseconds is actually an argument to the Bokeh Tornado application, and is documented here:

bokeh.server.tornado — Bokeh 3.3.2 Documentation

Technically the Server docs cover this at the bottom where they state:

Any remaining keyword arguments will be passed as-is to BokehTornado .

But I note that the reference link to BokehTornado in that sentence is not currently working, and that certainly does not help with navigation. It would be better of course if those arguments could be listed explicitly right there, but I think that would require some code and automation to keep in sync (I personally would regard it as worse if there was a list there, but it was not accurate).

Both of the above comments do motivate me to probe another question about your usage of the docs. Namely, are you attempting to utilize the search function as a primary means to navigate? For both of the above, a search on Tabs or your original thought of check_unused_sessions, the search results return the desired page at the top:

For me if I need anything at all from the ref-guide, my very first action is to use search for it because that typically has the desired page as the first result. But it’s not a given that everyone uses (or knows to use) the docs on this manner. I notice you mentioned “resorting” to search which makes me wonder if there is a dis-motivation to using search as a first choice.

In any case, I do agree:

• The docs need much more cross-referencing in general. Tthere is ageneral issue for this somewhere, but I’ve made a specific issue for this particular case here.
  • The bokeh.models are broken out by submodule for historical reasons [1], which provides a taxonomy (sort-of) But at this point it would probably be better to just have everything in one pile, alphabetized.

That said, Bokeh (and it’s documentation) is large. I don’t believe there is a single information architecture that would not involve negative trade-offs for some users or usage patterns. For this reason I do think the search is absolutely the easiest and fastest way to navigate the docs and I’d like to find ways to encourage folks to think of search as the tool they should reach for first.

1. Early on we encouraged importing from submodules, e.g. from bokeh.models.layouts import Row and so the reference was also arranged along these line. But we stopped doing that and changed to only encouraging importing everything from top-level bokeh.models ↩︎

I was looking through the Reference directly due to the User Guide on the widgets page (Adding widgets — Bokeh 2.4.2 Documentation) saying “For more information about the attributes to watch using .on_change , see the Reference. (Information about widgets is found under bokeh.models.” This led me to click on the bokeh.models links, and whenever I wanted to find out more information about a widget, that was my go-to.

Also, I am quite used to using search for most other large packages, such as NumPy. However, I generally do this search from my browser, by searching for something like “numpy interpolate”. I did try this for Bokeh, but all the top google results are for old versions of the documentation. For example, if I google right now “bokeh tabs”, the top result is from Bokeh 1.0.2, and the next result is from Bokeh 0.12.6. I don’t see any result for the current documentation.

I think this is a more typical use case, since most users won’t want to first have to navigate to the Bokeh Reference page and THEN conduct the search.

Hi @efremdan1 sorry I should have been more specific: I was not talking about Google search for the Bokeh docs, I meant have you tried the built-in search that is directly on the Bokeh docs site? Those results are locked to version you are currently looking at and will be generally much better than a Google search (for that reason).

I understood. I was saying that it’s quite unusual for me (and I think most people) to use the build-in search function. It is much more common for me (and again, most people) to google search documentation, since that eliminates the step of first having to navigate to the Bokeh Reference page prior to conducting the search.

Other packages usually have the most recent version as their first google hit (try searching for “numpy interpolate” and you’ll get a link to the current docs). Packages that don’t have this usually have a link at the top of the old docs that warn that the documentation page you’re looking at is out-of-date, and they have a link to that page in the current version of the docs (e.g., see 7. Input and Output — Python 2.7.18 documentation, which links at the very top to 7. Input and Output — Python 3.10.0 documentation).

It is much more common for me (and again, most people) to google search

I will have to take “most people” as speculation. We were actually missing site search for a few years after Google shuttered GSS, and an issue to bring the site search feature back was one of the most discussed and voted issues we ever had. My own experience is that many people do want to use site-search and I’d like to find ways to encourage it even more because it is effective and efficient.

Other packages usually have the most recent version as their first google hit

This is controlled by Google, I am afraid. I am not sure what we can do. We publish canonicial URLs pointing to “latest” on every page, which AFAIK should direct google results to “latest”, but does not seem to have desired effect. If there is anyone who is an expert at optimizing GSE results who would like to work on this, I would love help, because I have tried everything I know to try, and am frankly past a point of frustration with it.

Packages that don’t have this usually have a link at the top of the old docs that warn that the documentation page you’re looking at is out-of-date,

I am confused about this point. We have long had such a banner at the top on old versions (and also on pre-release versions). Are you saying you are not seeing the bright banner like in the screnshot below on your system/browser?

Edit: older versions are even more stern:

1 Like

I do see those banners, but the link is just to the generic documentation page for the current release, so then I need to conduct my search query again. With the Python link I sent earlier (7. Input and Output — Python 2.7.18 documentation), the banner link goes directly to the current doc page on that same topic.

Sorry about your frustration on the Google results. Python seems to be in a similar situation, though Numpy seems to have figured it out. I just posted to the Numpy message board (http://numpy-discussion.10968.n7.nabble.com/How-did-Numpy-get-its-latest-version-of-the-documentation-to-appear-at-the-top-of-Google-search-resu-td48668.html) to see if one of their developers is willing to lend a hand.

I should mention: Thank you very much for all your work on this wonderful package. Hopefully I’m not pushing the boundary between giving constructive feedback and straight-out complaining, which I know is a fine line.

2 Likes

Our document structure can and has changed over the years, so it’s not always the case that a corresponding link exists in newer versions. Here I think we have a difference in value judgment: I would deem it better to omit links entirely, if there is the possibility that they can be wrong, rather than always auto-generate a link to “latest” that may or may not work (even if it usually works).

But that’s why discussion is good. Although it’s not my preference, if someone feels strongly and wants to implement some simple regex to substitute “latest” in the current page URL, the code to update is here:

https://github.com/bokeh/bokeh/blob/branch-2.3/sphinx/source/bokeh/scripts.html

Regarding searching again, this is another good reason to go to https://docs.bokeh.org as the first step and then utilize the site search from the front page. The site search results are locked to the version you are viewing, so you will never get mis-directed to different versions.

I don’t mean to harp on the site search, but there are so many different ways that different people approach documentation [1] that there will never be a single information architecture that “works” for everyone simultaneously. But I think site search a shortcut around the site organization that can work for everyone, which is why I keep bringing it up as something to promote more or better.

Thanks for the kind words and continued discussion (and for reaching out to Numpy!)

1. As a specific example: we had complaints both that the reference docs were not complete enough because they did not include base class members in subclasses, and then once we started doing that, complaints that the reference docs are now too bloated and hard to find a needle in a haystack. There is truly never going to be a site organization that will satisfy everyone. ↩︎

1 Like

The Numpy devs responded rather quickly. Per Remove numpy documentation from google searches · Issue #39 · scipy/docs.scipy.org · GitHub, the issue was fixed by modifying their robots.txt file. Another person mentioned adding a “canonical” link to the pages with <link rel="canonical" href="https://docs.bokeh.org/en/latest/{MODULE}/{SUBMODULE}/{FUNCTION}.html" />. Not sure if that’s helpful…

Unfortunately we already have the canonical links in place (and have for a long time). E.g. if you look at the page source for

Plotting with Basic Glyphs — Bokeh 1.4.0 documentation

There is

<link rel="canonical" href="https://docs.bokeh.org/en/latest/docs/user_guide/plotting.html" />

in the document <head> We don’t have a robots.txt (or rather, it is empty) so we are not putting up any barriers to any crawlers. I have even on occasion kicked off new crawls explicitly from the search console tool for the property. So I am not really sure what else we can/should do. :man_shrugging: :frowning_face:

I guess we could consider engaging project funds to pay someone to sort it out, but I am not sure how to find such a person, or whether this kind of work would fit in our meager budget (our entire account balance is a few thousand USD)

Edit: and looking that the search console tool, Google shows that there were crawls in the last week, and also shows that 11k user-specified canonical pages were understood. We publish an updated sitemap with every docs push too. AFAIK we are doing everything we are supposed to do :man_shrugging:

For NumPy, the robots.txt file is only for the old dcumentation site under scipy.org. The new site https://numpy.org/doc/1.17/user/c-info.html does not have a robots.txt. It does have a snippet of javascript that provides the red text at the top of older versions, which searches the “stable” docs for the matching doc there. If it finds it, the link is shown. If not the javscript links to the search page, and pre-seeds it with the page title.
It also adds the canonical link to all pages. It was added in this PR.

That’s essentially the exact same setup we have :woman_shrugging: (sorry if I sound frustrated—I am frustrated, though not with anyone here)

I’m late to the party here, but I’d like to make some points and make some requests.

First off, a big thank you to Bryan and the team for building Bokeh. Yes it has bugs, yes it has shortcomings, but it’s a huge help to me in my work and I’m very glad the project exists. My life would be much harder without it.

I’d like to contribute in two ways, but I don’t know how. Perhaps you could give me some guidance on the way forward?

I’m a regular user, so I know where the weaknesses are in the documentation. I know where examples are needed. What I don’t know is how to raise what I’ve found as an issue. When I find shortcomings, should I raise them as an issue in Github?

I occasionally build Bokeh-based apps for side-projects (meaning, I ‘own’ the IP and I can do what I like with it). I would be happy to submit projects for the gallery, but I don’t know what criteria you use for selection. I don’t know what kind of apps would be helpful either. If I had a list of what you’re looking for, I could build my next project using your guidelines and submit it to you. As a note, all of my side-projects are more detailed than anything currently in the gallery.

I would love to help you guys build Bokeh better, but I can’t commit time to code. I can commit time for demos and documentation (tutorials?), but I need clear guidance on what you want.

1 Like