upcoming bokeh 0.3 release

Hi All,

I just wanted to give a heads up. We have cleared all the issues for the 0.3 release and are in a feature freeze. I'm going to spend the next few days adding to docs and demos, and testing pip and conda packages. The plan is to release Monday morning. This is going to be a solid release that makes several things simpler and easier both for devs and for users.

Anyone that is is interested please check out the GH repo and test things out.

Thanks,

Bryan

You may already have these issues on your radar, but in case you don’t I thought I’d bring them up here. The current methodology of interacting with the plots by clicking on specific buttons seems slightly clunky. Here’s a concrete example of the issues I see:

I have a long timeseries of data in which there are two widely separated points of interest I want to zoom into. AFAICS here’s what I have to do:

• click on pan

• drag the plot until the first feature of interest is roughly centred in the axis

• click on zoom

• zoom in

• realise that it isn’t centred correctly, click on pan again

• correctly align the feature in the axis so I can observe it

• click on zoom

• zoom out so I can see the 2nd feature of interest

• click on pan

…etc…

It seems to me that since panning relies on clicking and dragging and zooming relies on the mouse-wheel they could be both on at the same time so I could be happily dragging the plot about at the same time I’m zooming in and out without having to constantly select one or the other? That would certainly make for a better user experience IMHO. Also, a “reset axis” or home button (like the mpl toolbar) would be handy.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to testing out the new release - I’m very excited about the possibilities this project could enable…

Cheers,

Dave

···

On Thursday, 14 November 2013 22:33:31 UTC, Bryan Van de ven wrote:

Hi All,

I just wanted to give a heads up. We have cleared all the issues for the 0.3 release and are in a feature freeze. I’m going to spend the next few days adding to docs and demos, and testing pip and conda packages. The plan is to release Monday morning. This is going to be a solid release that makes several things simpler and easier both for devs and for users.

Thanks,

Bryan

Hi Dave,

As you mention there is no reason a pan and zoom tool conflict, so having to pick one or the other is less than optimal. Other tools, like a resize tool, should have "passive" activation like a hot corner, and not require a button press either. Improving and simplifying the tool selection is definitely on our roadmap (perhaps 0.4 in mid-December, but possibly 0.5, we are still sorting the priorities for the next release). Thanks for your note and description of your use case!

Bryan

···

On Nov 15, 2013, at 5:01 AM, [email protected] wrote:

On Thursday, 14 November 2013 22:33:31 UTC, Bryan Van de ven wrote:
Hi All,

I just wanted to give a heads up. We have cleared all the issues for the 0.3 release and are in a feature freeze. I'm going to spend the next few days adding to docs and demos, and testing pip and conda packages. The plan is to release Monday morning. This is going to be a solid release that makes several things simpler and easier both for devs and for users.

Thanks,

Bryan

You may already have these issues on your radar, but in case you don't I thought I'd bring them up here. The current methodology of interacting with the plots by clicking on specific buttons seems slightly clunky. Here's a concrete example of the issues I see:

I have a long timeseries of data in which there are two widely separated points of interest I want to zoom into. AFAICS here's what I have to do:

* click on pan
* drag the plot until the first feature of interest is roughly centred in the axis
* click on zoom
* zoom in
* realise that it isn't centred correctly, click on pan again
* correctly align the feature in the axis so I can observe it
* click on zoom
* zoom out so I can see the 2nd feature of interest
* click on pan
...etc...

It seems to me that since panning relies on clicking and dragging and zooming relies on the mouse-wheel they could be both on at the same time so I could be happily dragging the plot about at the same time I'm zooming in and out without having to constantly select one or the other? That would certainly make for a better user experience IMHO. Also, a "reset axis" or home button (like the mpl toolbar) would be handy.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to testing out the new release - I'm very excited about the possibilities this project could enable...

Cheers,
Dave

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/f2a87ad3-d589-47a8-810e-ef463a26edd9%40continuum.io\.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/groups/opt_out\.