Updating multiple line plots dynamically in callback

Hello,

I have a use case where I have multiple line plots (with legends), and I need to update the line plots based on a column condition. Below is an example of two data set, based on the country, the column data source changes. But the issue I am facing is, the number of columns is not fixed for the data source, and even the types can vary. So, when I update the data source based on a callback when there is a new country selected, I get this error - " Error: attempted to retrieve property array for nonexistent field ‘pay_conv_7d.content’. I am guessing because in the new data source, the pay_conv_7d.content column doesn’t exist, but in my plot those lines were already there. I have been trying to fix this issue by various means (making common columns for all country selection - adding the missing column in the data source in callback, but still get issues.

Is there any clean way to have multiple line plots updating using callback, and not do a lot of hackish way? Any insights or help would be really appreciated. Thanks much in advance! :slight_smile:

Following is snippet:

def setup_multiline_plots(x_axis, y_axis, title_text, data_source, plot):

num_categories = len(data_source.data['categories'])
    legends_list = list(data_source.data['categories'])
    colors_list = Spectral11[0:num_categories]
    # xs = [data_source.data['%s.'%x_axis].values] * num_categories
    # ys = [data_source.data[('%s.%s')%(y_axis,column)] for column in data_source.data['categories']]
    # data_source.data['x_series'] = xs
    # data_source.data['y_series'] = ys
    # plot.multi_line('x_series', 'y_series', line_color=colors_list,legend='categories', line_width=3, source=data_source)
    plot_list = []
    for (colr, leg, column) in zip(colors_list, legends_list, data_source.data['categories']):
        xs, ys = '%s.'%x_axis, ('%s.%s')%(y_axis,column)
        plot.line(xs,ys, source=data_source, color=colr, legend=leg, line_width=3, name=ys)
        plot_list.append(ys)
    data_source.data['plot_names'] = data_source.data.get('plot_names',[]) + plot_list
    plot.title.text = title_text

def update_plot(country, timeseries_df, timeseries_source,
aggregate_df, aggregate_source, category,
plot_pay_7d, plot_r_pay_90d):

aggregate_metrics = aggregate_df.loc[aggregate_df.country == country]
aggregate_metrics = aggregate_metrics.nlargest(10, 'cost')
category_types = list(aggregate_metrics[category].unique())
timeseries_df = timeseries_df[timeseries_df[category].isin(category_types)]
timeseries_multi_line_metrics = get_multiline_column_datasource(timeseries_df, category, country)

# len_series = len(timeseries_multi_line_metrics.data['time.'])
# previous_legends = timeseries_source.data['plot_names']
# current_legends = timeseries_multi_line_metrics.data.keys()
# common_legends = list(set(previous_legends) & set(current_legends))
# additional_legends_list = list(set(previous_legends) - set(current_legends))
# for legend in additional_legends_list:
#     zeros = pd.Series(np.array([0] * len_series), name=legend)
#     timeseries_multi_line_metrics.add(zeros, legend)
# timeseries_multi_line_metrics.data['plot_names'] = previous_legends

timeseries_source.data = timeseries_multi_line_metrics.data
aggregate_source.data = aggregate_source.from_df(aggregate_metrics)
def get_multiline_column_datasource(df, category, country):

df_country = df[df.country == country]
    df_pivoted = pd.DataFrame(df_country.pivot_table(index='time', columns=category, aggfunc=np.sum).reset_index())
    df_pivoted.columns = df_pivoted.columns.to_series().str.join('.')
    categories = list(set([column.split('.')[1] for column in list(df_pivoted.columns)]))[1:]
    data_source = ColumnDataSource(df_pivoted)
    data_source.data['categories'] = categories

return data_source

``

Hi,

The answer is, "it depends very much on specifics". Bokeh server is not threaded. You can start multiple processes with the --num-procs argument. This works well enough users hit the Bokeh server directly, but is not going to work well with embedding, because there is no guarantee that the session you pull and customize (in Django), and the connection that the embedding page ultimately tries to make (in the browser) end up on the same process. The same observation holds if you run Bokeh server behind a reverse proxy like nginx (I believe the paid nginx product has some session-affinity feature that might solve this, but I am not familiar with it).

So, what to do. Tornado is an asynchronous networking framework. Generally speaking the code you run should not block much at all. If your callbacks do very minimal work, then things might be ok with multiple users. If your callbacks are doing expensive things (running big simulations or something), then yes, the current session and any other sessions will block. In this case you can offload work to threads so that the callback can return immediately, see:

https://bokeh.pydata.org/en/dev/docs/user_guide/server.html#updating-from-threads
  https://bokeh.pydata.org/en/dev/docs/user_guide/server.html#updating-from-unlocked-callbacks

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On May 4, 2018, at 04:21, 'Gaurab Ghosh' via Bokeh Discussion - Public <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello,

I have a use case where I have multiple line plots (with legends), and I need to update the line plots based on a column condition. Below is an example of two data set, based on the country, the column data source changes. But the issue I am facing is, the number of columns is not fixed for the data source, and even the types can vary. So, when I update the data source based on a callback when there is a new country selected, I get this error - " Error: attempted to retrieve property array for nonexistent field 'pay_conv_7d.content'. I am guessing because in the new data source, the pay_conv_7d.content column doesn't exist, but in my plot those lines were already there. I have been trying to fix this issue by various means (making common columns for all country selection - adding the missing column in the data source in callback, but still get issues.

Is there any clean way to have multiple line plots updating using callback, and not do a lot of hackish way? Any insights or help would be really appreciated. Thanks much in advance! :slight_smile:

Following is snippet:

# ys = [data_source.data[('%s.%s')%(y_axis,column)] for column in data_source.data['categories']]
    # plot.multi_line('x_series', 'y_series', line_color=colors_list,legend='categories', line_width=3, source=data_source)
    plot_list =
    for (colr, leg, column) in zip(colors_list, legends_list, data_source.data['categories']):
        plot.line(xs,ys, source=data_source, color=colr, legend=leg, line_width=3, name=ys)
        plot_list.append(ys)
    data_source.data['plot_names'] = data_source.data.get('plot_names',) + plot_list

timeseries_multi_line_metrics = get_multiline_column_datasource(timeseries_df, category, country)

# zeros = pd.Series(np.array([0] * len_series), name=legend)
    # timeseries_multi_line_metrics.add(zeros, legend)

df_pivoted = pd.DataFrame(df_country.pivot_table(index='time', columns=category, aggfunc=np.sum).reset_index())
    categories = list(set([column.split('.')[1] for column in list(df_pivoted.columns)]))[1:]

return data_source

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/dbba1f06-c0ff-4a78-b07b-48ad2d2aef73%40continuum.io\.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout\.
<Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 4.11.36 AM.png>

Thanks Bryan for the quick reply. I have tried it, but I still get the same error. But in another related original question, could you please help me giving the right direction in creating multiple line plots and also have dynamic updates via callback?

My dataframe looks something like this:

I want to have a time series plot with device as my category. Is there any easy way for bokeh to take this DataFrame, do some magic, and plot categorical/factor based time series plots (similar to the bar plots which have categories)?! Thanks again for all your help!

···

On Friday, May 4, 2018 at 8:12:20 AM UTC-5, Bryan Van de ven wrote:

Hi,

The answer is, “it depends very much on specifics”. Bokeh server is not threaded. You can start multiple processes with the --num-procs argument. This works well enough users hit the Bokeh server directly, but is not going to work well with embedding, because there is no guarantee that the session you pull and customize (in Django), and the connection that the embedding page ultimately tries to make (in the browser) end up on the same process. The same observation holds if you run Bokeh server behind a reverse proxy like nginx (I believe the paid nginx product has some session-affinity feature that might solve this, but I am not familiar with it).

So, what to do. Tornado is an asynchronous networking framework. Generally speaking the code you run should not block much at all. If your callbacks do very minimal work, then things might be ok with multiple users. If your callbacks are doing expensive things (running big simulations or something), then yes, the current session and any other sessions will block. In this case you can offload work to threads so that the callback can return immediately, see:

[https://bokeh.pydata.org/en/dev/docs/user_guide/server.html#updating-from-threads](https://bokeh.pydata.org/en/dev/docs/user_guide/server.html#updating-from-threads)

[https://bokeh.pydata.org/en/dev/docs/user_guide/server.html#updating-from-unlocked-callbacks](https://bokeh.pydata.org/en/dev/docs/user_guide/server.html#updating-from-unlocked-callbacks)

Thanks,

Bryan

On May 4, 2018, at 04:21, ‘Gaurab Ghosh’ via Bokeh Discussion - Public [email protected] wrote:

Hello,

I have a use case where I have multiple line plots (with legends), and I need to update the line plots based on a column condition. Below is an example of two data set, based on the country, the column data source changes. But the issue I am facing is, the number of columns is not fixed for the data source, and even the types can vary. So, when I update the data source based on a callback when there is a new country selected, I get this error - " Error: attempted to retrieve property array for nonexistent field ‘pay_conv_7d.content’. I am guessing because in the new data source, the pay_conv_7d.content column doesn’t exist, but in my plot those lines were already there. I have been trying to fix this issue by various means (making common columns for all country selection - adding the missing column in the data source in callback, but still get issues.

Following is snippet:

plot_list = []
    plot_list.append(ys)
data_source.data['plot_names'] = data_source.data.get('plot_names',[]) + plot_list

return data_source

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/dbba1f06-c0ff-4a78-b07b-48ad2d2aef73%40continuum.io.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout.

Hi,

Sorry, I can’t really offer anything more specific without code to run. Perhaps you can or an MRE project on a gift or GH repo?

Thanks,

Brush

···

On May 4, 2018, at 11:21, ‘Gaurab Ghosh’ via Bokeh Discussion - Public [email protected] wrote:

Thanks Bryan for the quick reply. I have tried it, but I still get the same error. But in another related original question, could you please help me giving the right direction in creating multiple line plots and also have dynamic updates via callback?

My dataframe looks something like this:

I want to have a time series plot with device as my category. Is there any easy way for bokeh to take this DataFrame, do some magic, and plot categorical/factor based time series plots (similar to the bar plots which have categories)?! Thanks again for all your help!

On Friday, May 4, 2018 at 8:12:20 AM UTC-5, Bryan Van de ven wrote:

Hi,

The answer is, “it depends very much on specifics”. Bokeh server is not threaded. You can start multiple processes with the --num-procs argument. This works well enough users hit the Bokeh server directly, but is not going to work well with embedding, because there is no guarantee that the session you pull and customize (in Django), and the connection that the embedding page ultimately tries to make (in the browser) end up on the same process. The same observation holds if you run Bokeh server behind a reverse proxy like nginx (I believe the paid nginx product has some session-affinity feature that might solve this, but I am not familiar with it).

[https://bokeh.pydata.org/en/dev/docs/user_guide/server.html#updating-from-threads](https://bokeh.pydata.org/en/dev/docs/user_guide/server.html#updating-from-threads)

[https://bokeh.pydata.org/en/dev/docs/user_guide/server.html#updating-from-unlocked-callbacks](https://bokeh.pydata.org/en/dev/docs/user_guide/server.html#updating-from-unlocked-callbacks)

Thanks,

Bryan

On May 4, 2018, at 04:21, ‘Gaurab Ghosh’ via Bokeh Discussion - Public [email protected] wrote:

Hello,

Following is snippet:

plot_list = []
    plot_list.append(ys)

return data_source

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/dbba1f06-c0ff-4a78-b07b-48ad2d2aef73%40continuum.io.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/158d7d68-3efa-4e9f-878c-7aa47dd86fec%40continuum.io.