Bokeh and Interactivity

Hi,

In Tools like Tableau and Qlikview, all the charts in the dashboards are interacitve. If i click on the bar charts showing sales in US, then all the other mesures and dimensions filter down to US country. Is that possible in Bokeh ?

How is Bokeh better than d3 js and Dash

Hi,

In Tools like Tableau and Qlikview, all the charts in the dashboards are interacitve. If i click on the bar charts showing sales in US, then all the other mesures and dimensions filter down to US country. Is that possible in Bokeh ?

Certainly, and there are many examples along these lines in the docs, in the tutorial notebooks, on Stack Overflow, and in the examples directory of the GH repository. But these things are not "automatic" in any sense. Bokeh is a language tool for developers and data scientists writing code. So to accomplish this kind of interaction in Bokeh, e.g. you'd add a tap tool with a Python (or possibly JavaScript, depending on your situation) callback that explicitly updates some other data source or data source view based on the tap.

How is Bokeh better than d3 js

Bokeh is not better or worse than D3, ut is different, with different priorities. D3 is a pure JavaScript tool. If developing in JS satisfies your use case and fits well into an existing workflow, then D3 could be a great choice. Bokeh prioritizes *not* having to write JavaScript, i.e. it tries to make it simple for people to connect interactive web frontends to all the great Python (or R) tools for analytics, *without* having to write much or any JavaScript. So, if you have a Python-heavy workflow and would like to keep it that way, then Bokeh could fill that need.

and Dash

I've never used it, so I can't comment.

Thanks,

Bryan

Thanks for the info :slight_smile:

···

On Sat 19 May, 2018, 18:29 Bryan Van de ven, [email protected] wrote:

Hi,

Certainly, and there are many examples along these lines in the docs, in the tutorial notebooks, on Stack Overflow, and in the examples directory of the GH repository. But these things are not “automatic” in any sense. Bokeh is a language tool for developers and data scientists writing code. So to accomplish this kind of interaction in Bokeh, e.g. you’d add a tap tool with a Python (or possibly JavaScript, depending on your situation) callback that explicitly updates some other data source or data source view based on the tap.

How is Bokeh better than d3 js

Bokeh is not better or worse than D3, ut is different, with different priorities. D3 is a pure JavaScript tool. If developing in JS satisfies your use case and fits well into an existing workflow, then D3 could be a great choice. Bokeh prioritizes not having to write JavaScript, i.e. it tries to make it simple for people to connect interactive web frontends to all the great Python (or R) tools for analytics, without having to write much or any JavaScript. So, if you have a Python-heavy workflow and would like to keep it that way, then Bokeh could fill that need.

and Dash

I’ve never used it, so I can’t comment.

Thanks,

Bryan

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/topic/bokeh/ROxP7nsxMNI/unsubscribe.

To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [email protected].

To post to this group, send email to [email protected].

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/20BBECE7-DE9A-420C-969B-8B2671A716E6%40anaconda.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout.