Can't get export png to work in Bokeh 3.0.2

I can’t seem to export png plots under Bokeh 3.0.2.

$ bokeh info
Python version      :  3.10.6 | packaged by conda-forge | (main, Aug 22 2022, 20:36:39) [GCC 10.4.0]
IPython version     :  8.6.0
Tornado version     :  6.2
Bokeh version       :  3.0.2
BokehJS static path :  /home/jet08013/anaconda3/envs/python310/lib/python3.10/site-packages/bokeh/server/static
node.js version     :  v14.15.4
npm version         :  6.14.10
Operating system    :  Linux-5.15.0-52-generic-x86_64-with-glibc2.31

Here’s my test code:

import numpy as np
from bokeh.plotting import figure
from bokeh.io import export_png

f=figure()
x=np.linspace(-10,10,100)
y=x**2
f.line(x=x,y=y)
export_png(f,filename='out.png')

I have firefox and geckodriver in my path:

~ > which firefox                                                                                 py python310 11:19:04
/home/jet08013/anaconda3/envs/python310/bin/firefox
~ > which geckodriver                                                                             py python310 11:20:05
/home/jet08013/anaconda3/envs/python310/bin/geckodriver

The same code works fine in my 2.4.3 environment.

Any advice?

and here’s the error message:

~ > python bokehexport.py                                                                         py python310 11:20:12
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/jet08013/bokehexport.py", line 9, in <module>
    export_png(f,filename='out.png')
  File "/home/jet08013/anaconda3/envs/python310/lib/python3.10/site-packages/bokeh/io/export.py", line 116, in export_png
    image = get_screenshot_as_png(obj, width=width, height=height, driver=webdriver, timeout=timeout, state=state)
  File "/home/jet08013/anaconda3/envs/python310/lib/python3.10/site-packages/bokeh/io/export.py", line 254, in get_screenshot_as_png
    web_driver = driver if driver is not None else webdriver_control.get()
  File "/home/jet08013/anaconda3/envs/python310/lib/python3.10/site-packages/bokeh/io/webdriver.py", line 135, in get
    self.current = self.create()
  File "/home/jet08013/anaconda3/envs/python310/lib/python3.10/site-packages/bokeh/io/webdriver.py", line 139, in create
    driver = self._create(kind)
  File "/home/jet08013/anaconda3/envs/python310/lib/python3.10/site-packages/bokeh/io/webdriver.py", line 157, in _create
    raise RuntimeError("Neither firefox and geckodriver nor a variant of chromium browser and " \
RuntimeError: Neither firefox and geckodriver nor a variant of chromium browser and chromedriver are available on system PATH. You can install the former with 'conda install -c conda-forge firefox geckodriver'.

Perhaps the webdriver is out of date with the installed browser version? Does export work with chrome/chromdriver?

As far as I can tell, I have the latest version of both firefox (107.0) and geckodriver (0.32.0).

I’m not sure how to tell bokeh to prefer the chrome pathway. Is there a way to set that as an option or something?

@jeremy9959 export_png accepts an explicit webdriver parameters, so you can pass it e.g. an instance of ChromeDriver that you create yourself manually. I don’t know if you are already familiar with that or not so I will wait to hear back before elaborating.

I tried this with an explicit selenium webdriver instance and learned that the software was expecting the driver to be named “chromedriver” but for some reason conda installed it with the name “chromedriver-binary”. I symlinked this to “chromedriver” and now it works (without an explicit webdriver instance).

I’m not sure if this is a problem with wider implications or just some quirk of my installation.

Still not sure what the issue is with firefox.

Thanks for the help!

Well that’s weird, I haven’t seen it before. Maybe open a GitHub Issue in case there is anything we can do on our end.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.