circular updates on sliders

Hi,

Still learning bokeh. I run into an issue using sliders, which at the moment I am not sure what the correct way is to solve it.

Description:

I have multiple sliders. Some are dependent

Some example:

slider1.on_change(‘value’,lambda attr, old, new:update())

slider2.on_change(‘value’,lambda attr, old, new:update())

In my calculations:

val1=slider1.value

val2=slider2.value*val1**2

slider2.value=val2

When I slide slider 1 it will go in a loop, slider 2 will update which will trigger slider 1 again,…

I was looking in the documentation if there was a way to change the value of the slider but not trigger an on_change but couldn’t find anything. Secondly, I was thinking of removing the on_change with remove_on_change and then add it afterwards again. Thirdly, I was thinking of using a blocking variable to be used inside the update function (if block is True ignore the calculation call)

What is in general a good approach to deal with this?

Thanks!

Best,

Glenn

It's hard to say without specifics. Why are you updating both sliders in one callback for both? I can imagine a scenario where a user setting a first slider might update a second one as a result, but I can't imagine a situation where it would be useful for the second to also update the first (which is the problem). I guess the question is: what are you really, actually trying to accomplish (in plain language, without any mention of widgets or callbacks, or specific technology)

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On Sep 15, 2016, at 6:52 PM, Glenn Vanbavinckhove <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi,

Still learning bokeh. I run into an issue using sliders, which at the moment I am not sure what the correct way is to solve it.

Description:

Some example:
slider1.on_change('value',lambda attr, old, new:update())
slider2.on_change('value',lambda attr, old, new:update())

In my calculations:
val1=slider1.value

slider2.value=val2

When I slide slider 1 it will go in a loop, slider 2 will update which will trigger slider 1 again,...

I was looking in the documentation if there was a way to change the value of the slider but not trigger an on_change but couldn't find anything. Secondly, I was thinking of removing the on_change with remove_on_change and then add it afterwards again. Thirdly, I was thinking of using a blocking variable to be used inside the update function (if block is True ignore the calculation call)

Thanks!

Best,

Glenn

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/d7b7396b-0922-4282-9a01-445239c07768%40continuum.io\.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout\.

Hi Bryan,

I will write a small example explaining my problem (after I finished something).

Best,

Glenn

···

On Saturday, September 17, 2016 at 2:17:12 AM UTC+10, Bryan Van de ven wrote:

It’s hard to say without specifics. Why are you updating both sliders in one callback for both? I can imagine a scenario where a user setting a first slider might update a second one as a result, but I can’t imagine a situation where it would be useful for the second to also update the first (which is the problem). I guess the question is: what are you really, actually trying to accomplish (in plain language, without any mention of widgets or callbacks, or specific technology)

Thanks,

Bryan

On Sep 15, 2016, at 6:52 PM, Glenn Vanbavinckhove [email protected] wrote:

Hi,

Description:

Some example:

slider1.on_change(‘value’,lambda attr, old, new:update())

slider2.on_change(‘value’,lambda attr, old, new:update())

In my calculations:

val1=slider1.value

slider2.value=val2

When I slide slider 1 it will go in a loop, slider 2 will update which will trigger slider 1 again,…

I was looking in the documentation if there was a way to change the value of the slider but not trigger an on_change but couldn’t find anything. Secondly, I was thinking of removing the on_change with remove_on_change and then add it afterwards again. Thirdly, I was thinking of using a blocking variable to be used inside the update function (if block is True ignore the calculation call)

Thanks!

Best,

Glenn

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

To post to this group, send email to [email protected].

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/d7b7396b-0922-4282-9a01-445239c07768%40continuum.io.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout.