What is the process for including a unit conversion library or somehow facilitating unit conversions in Bokeh enough to illustrate Bokeh’s mapping capability with the various tile providers?
This demo is ready to go except for the unit conversion.
The mapping capability of Bokeh is much better than the documentation indicates. Here are a few needs or suggested updates:
(1) the primary doc page for mapping is lacking any clear listing of available tile providers. There are currently 10 open source map tile providers but there is no mention of them individually. A display of all map providers with their different styles seems appropriate and is surprisingly absent.
(2) Supporting mapping natively in Bokeh is good but it begs the need for a companion utility for converting coordinates to and from common map units. At a minimum (lat,lon) and Web Mercator conversions should be supported, or at least referenced enough to allow the documentation to illustrate the Bokeh mapping capability.
Some web Mercator and lat/lon unit conversion references are listed here:
- pyproj is a simple, mature, and capable library for unit conversions in multiple formats with multiple options.
- OpenStreetMap Mercator wiki has conversions written in multiple programming languages
- Web Mercator projection wiki has formulas and good explanations