Encouraging community (and new developer) engagemen

Hi all,

[long message ahead, apologies in advance]

Bokeh has recently seen a dramatic increase in interest from many new and existing users (I think the mailing list traffic hit a new 2x high last month!) This is a *great* situation, but it does also present some challenges. However, one of my core beliefs is that the true value of FOSS lies not in the mere fact that it is free, but in the fact that it affords users the opportunity to *participate* and directly influence the project.

So, the GitHub issue tracker (Issues · bokeh/bokeh · GitHub) is just now about to hit 700 open issues. Most issues need some combination of: investigation, development, testing, review, documentation. With an extremely rough estimate of "one day per issue", the issue tracker represents something like two person-years of work. (My previous life was in physics so I am good at making bad approximations!) To be able to effectively tackle issues and features in a timely manner, I believe it is imperative to encourage more community involvement, and in particular encourage new team members to join the effort.

We need help: testing, documenting, increasing automation, engaging the mailing list and SO, triaging the issue tracker, bug fixing, new feature developing...

So the question is: what can we do to encourage / make it easier for new contributors to get involved in these areas?

Some simple things I'm proposing to enact very soon:

* automated publishing of weekly core team meeting minutes (just need to make it easy and painless)

* moving team and user "chat" to public Slack channels, and promote them heavily (they already exist but are largely unutilized)

* establish clear governance policies around core team membership, etc. (new BEP 6 opened: BEP 6: Bokeh Project Governance · Issue #3828 · bokeh/bokeh · GitHub)

* moving the release "testing matrices" to a publicly viewable place

I think these are fairly straightforward ways to increase both visibility and transparency into the project. However I'd appreciate any comments or feedback.

Here are some other "more involved" ideas that I had, again feedback is incredibly appreciated:

* Holding a "Bokeh Architecture Overview" Webinar or Q&A

This would be to talk about and introduce the design and architecture of the library,
        specifically geared towards individuals who might want to get involved in more active
        development and testing

* Establishing a signup for "Release Testing Volunteers"

Covering the release test matrices is a big problem for us now. Our best-tested releases
        maybe get 75% done. This is because

(examples + docs) * browsers * platforms * python versions == "A REALLY BIG MATRIX"

Even with some semi-automation, there's only so many of us and so much time. We can't get it
        all done by ourselves. This list would just make it easy for us to contact potential volunteers
        for helping with release testing coverage more easily.

* Work with NumFocus to establish a "NumFocus Mentored Project"

We aren't quite ready for "NumFocus Sponsored" status (we need more developers from more
        organizations, e.g.) but some people have suggested a new "first stage" that is a path to
        NumFocus sponsorship. It would allow NumFocus to help promote and grow a project community,
        before jumping full-on into the more stringent fiduciary arrangements of sponsorship.

Finally (thank you for reading this much!!) a few questions that would be extremely valuable to have answered:

* What are other ideas/suggestions for increasing engagement?

* If you have been interested or wanted to get more involved, what obstacles prevented you?

* Would you be interested in volunteering to help with release testing?

Thanks as always,

Bryan

Bryan,

One quick comment: the biggest impediment I found to becoming involved with and using Bokeh is my own lack of understanding of the project. Usually what I wanted to do went beyond what the examples showed and the documentation discussed and that’s where I would run into difficulties. You and the others on the mailing list have been amazingly helpful and welcoming, which is great, but there was a lot I just didn’t understand. In the end I taught myself javascript and created some interactive visualizations and animations for my class that used vanilla javascript with html5 canvas and css and no libraries or frameworks. I’ve been able to do what I need to, but at the cost of a lot of time that probably could have been circumvented if I just understood the details of Bokeh better. For that reason I would be very enthused about a “Bokeh Architecture Overview” Webinar. If it could also get into some basics of Backbone models and how that factors into what Bokeh does and how things are organized on the javascript/html/css side, that would be great too since that’s usually where I fell down in being able to do the custom stuff I needed.

Greg

···

On Thursday, February 4, 2016 at 2:24:32 PM UTC-7, Bryan Van de ven wrote:

Hi all,

Bokeh has recently seen a dramatic increase in interest from many new and existing users (I think the mailing list traffic hit a new 2x high last month!) This is a great situation, but it does also present some challenges. However, one of my core beliefs is that the true value of FOSS lies not in the mere fact that it is free, but in the fact that it affords users the opportunity to participate and directly influence the project.

So, the GitHub issue tracker (https://github.com/bokeh/bokeh/issues) is just now about to hit 700 open issues. Most issues need some combination of: investigation, development, testing, review, documentation. With an extremely rough estimate of “one day per issue”, the issue tracker represents something like two person-years of work. (My previous life was in physics so I am good at making bad approximations!) To be able to effectively tackle issues and features in a timely manner, I believe it is imperative to encourage more community involvement, and in particular encourage new team members to join the effort.

We need help: testing, documenting, increasing automation, engaging the mailing list and SO, triaging the issue tracker, bug fixing, new feature developing…

So the question is: what can we do to encourage / make it easier for new contributors to get involved in these areas?

Some simple things I’m proposing to enact very soon:

• automated publishing of weekly core team meeting minutes (just need to make it easy and painless)

• moving team and user “chat” to public Slack channels, and promote them heavily (they already exist but are largely unutilized)

• establish clear governance policies around core team membership, etc. (new BEP 6 opened: https://github.com/bokeh/bokeh/issues/3828)

• moving the release “testing matrices” to a publicly viewable place

I think these are fairly straightforward ways to increase both visibility and transparency into the project. However I’d appreciate any comments or feedback.

Here are some other “more involved” ideas that I had, again feedback is incredibly appreciated:

• Holding a “Bokeh Architecture Overview” Webinar or Q&A

This would be to talk about and introduce the design and architecture of the library,

specifically geared towards individuals who might want to get involved in more active

development and testing

• Establishing a signup for “Release Testing Volunteers”

Covering the release test matrices is a big problem for us now. Our best-tested releases

(examples + docs) * browsers * platforms * python versions == "A REALLY BIG MATRIX"

Even with some semi-automation, there's only so many of us and so much time. We can't get it

all done by ourselves. This list would just make it easy for us to contact potential volunteers

• Work with NumFocus to establish a “NumFocus Mentored Project”

We aren't quite ready for "NumFocus Sponsored" status (we need more developers from more

organizations, e.g.) but some people have suggested a new "first stage" that is a path to

NumFocus sponsorship. It would allow NumFocus to help promote and grow a project community,

before jumping full-on into the more stringent fiduciary arrangements of sponsorship.

Finally (thank you for reading this much!!) a few questions that would be extremely valuable to have answered:

• What are other ideas/suggestions for increasing engagement?

• If you have been interested or wanted to get more involved, what obstacles prevented you?

• Would you be interested in volunteering to help with release testing?

Thanks as always,

Bryan

Hi all !

I found myself at similar situation to the one that Greg just described for some of the features I wanted to contribute to. I feel lost with the large codebase and the lack of a of general implementation introduction.

In my case that didn’t stop me from trying to do a PR (I’m looking for some time too, i just finished my exams, i hope to finish that soon) and the great bokeh community is helping me a lot, but I totally understand Gregs point.

Opening the team to a more public slack and publishing a governance proposal i think it’s the way to go. I would really love to feel more as part of the dev community and help in the development of this cool project in a more effective way.

Bests !
Gabi

···

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016, 23:11 Greg Nordin [email protected] wrote:

Bryan,

One quick comment: the biggest impediment I found to becoming involved with and using Bokeh is my own lack of understanding of the project. Usually what I wanted to do went beyond what the examples showed and the documentation discussed and that’s where I would run into difficulties. You and the others on the mailing list have been amazingly helpful and welcoming, which is great, but there was a lot I just didn’t understand. In the end I taught myself javascript and created some interactive visualizations and animations for my class that used vanilla javascript with html5 canvas and css and no libraries or frameworks. I’ve been able to do what I need to, but at the cost of a lot of time that probably could have been circumvented if I just understood the details of Bokeh better. For that reason I would be very enthused about a “Bokeh Architecture Overview” Webinar. If it could also get into some basics of Backbone models and how that factors into what Bokeh does and how things are organized on the javascript/html/css side, that would be great too since that’s usually where I fell down in being able to do the custom stuff I needed.

Greg

On Thursday, February 4, 2016 at 2:24:32 PM UTC-7, Bryan Van de ven wrote:

Hi all,

Bokeh has recently seen a dramatic increase in interest from many new and existing users (I think the mailing list traffic hit a new 2x high last month!) This is a great situation, but it does also present some challenges. However, one of my core beliefs is that the true value of FOSS lies not in the mere fact that it is free, but in the fact that it affords users the opportunity to participate and directly influence the project.

So, the GitHub issue tracker (https://github.com/bokeh/bokeh/issues) is just now about to hit 700 open issues. Most issues need some combination of: investigation, development, testing, review, documentation. With an extremely rough estimate of “one day per issue”, the issue tracker represents something like two person-years of work. (My previous life was in physics so I am good at making bad approximations!) To be able to effectively tackle issues and features in a timely manner, I believe it is imperative to encourage more community involvement, and in particular encourage new team members to join the effort.

We need help: testing, documenting, increasing automation, engaging the mailing list and SO, triaging the issue tracker, bug fixing, new feature developing…

• automated publishing of weekly core team meeting minutes (just need to make it easy and painless)

• moving team and user “chat” to public Slack channels, and promote them heavily (they already exist but are largely unutilized)

• establish clear governance policies around core team membership, etc. (new BEP 6 opened: https://github.com/bokeh/bokeh/issues/3828)

I think these are fairly straightforward ways to increase both visibility and transparency into the project. However I’d appreciate any comments or feedback.

Here are some other “more involved” ideas that I had, again feedback is incredibly appreciated:

development and testing

• If you have been interested or wanted to get more involved, what obstacles prevented you?

Thanks as always,

Bryan

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

To post to this group, send email to [email protected].

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/adbf8cc9-42a3-4e5b-9560-a7716013f806%40continuum.io.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout.

A very efficient way to get new (student) contributors can be participating in Google Summer of Code. GSoC has been the entry point to FOSS for a lot of people.

···

On Friday, February 5, 2016 at 2:54:32 AM UTC+5:30, Bryan Van de ven wrote:

Hi all,

development and testing

Thanks as always,

Bryan

Bryan,

This is fantastic and I would love to get involved. Bokeh is one of my favorite python packages.

Craig

···

On Thursday, February 4, 2016 at 4:24:32 PM UTC-5, Bryan Van de ven wrote:

Hi all,

development and testing

Thanks as always,

Bryan

Hi Bryan,

The Bokeh community was very helpful to me when I made my first PRs for the 0.11.0 release. When I ran into issues I was paired up with a more experienced Bokeh contributor and that really helped.

I’d be very interested in a Bokeh Architecture Overview or Q&A. If there were any meetups in the San Francisco Bay Area I’d enjoy meeting others in the community and discussing projects. I’d be interested in joining a Bokeh sprint, whether that was focused on bug fixes or automated testing or feature development.

Regarding the Github Issues, it would be great if some were tagged as suitable for developers new to Bokeh. If I knew which of the 700 issues were the perfect combination of high value for the project and feasible for me to address, I’d be happy to start addressing issues in the backlog.

cheers,

Dennis

···

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 12:23 PM [email protected] wrote:

Bryan,

This is fantastic and I would love to get involved. Bokeh is one of my favorite python packages.

Craig

Hi all,

development and testing

Thanks as always,

Bryan

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/1e18f7e1-c8a1-4dcb-a527-8a25e5c4a3c3%40continuum.io.

That’s a great idea Dennis, I would help with that too
Gabi

···

On Sat, Feb 6, 2016, 08:52 Dennis O’Brien [email protected] wrote:

Hi Bryan,

The Bokeh community was very helpful to me when I made my first PRs for the 0.11.0 release. When I ran into issues I was paired up with a more experienced Bokeh contributor and that really helped.

I’d be very interested in a Bokeh Architecture Overview or Q&A. If there were any meetups in the San Francisco Bay Area I’d enjoy meeting others in the community and discussing projects. I’d be interested in joining a Bokeh sprint, whether that was focused on bug fixes or automated testing or feature development.

Regarding the Github Issues, it would be great if some were tagged as suitable for developers new to Bokeh. If I knew which of the 700 issues were the perfect combination of high value for the project and feasible for me to address, I’d be happy to start addressing issues in the backlog.

cheers,

Dennis

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 12:23 PM [email protected] wrote:

Bryan,

Craig

Hi all,

development and testing

Thanks as always,

Bryan

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/1e18f7e1-c8a1-4dcb-a527-8a25e5c4a3c3%40continuum.io.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/CAPUwX3MeF73zXYrXUkMFLLz4VcYDLe1BVUyit%2BUnDpGfinnLcg%40mail.gmail.com.

I actually talked to Sarah about running a Bokeh UG in SF Bayarea, but the problem is securing a venue… Which turns out to be a much more difficult and expensive than I thought. So if anyone can or know someone who can offer a space, it’ll help solve the prerequisite first step.

Right now, in SFBA, d3 seems to get all the attention on the street. So, It would be important to demonstrate Bokeh as a viable alternative.

I am like most people on the thread, who are eager to help. But to actually make it work, some planning and organizing need to be done as for what need to be done when and how by whom…

SH

We did actually try this earlier with a "starter" tag, but I don't think we had enough people at the time to really make it viable. But perhaps it's a good time to re-visit the idea. I can make a stab at tagging some starter issues again, and maybe we can generate a list of them every few weeks to post to the mailing list as well.

Great ideas and feedback everyone, keep it coming!

Bryan

···

On Feb 6, 2016, at 7:47 AM, Gabriel de Maeztu <[email protected]> wrote:

That's a great idea Dennis, I would help with that too
Gabi

On Sat, Feb 6, 2016, 08:52 Dennis O'Brien <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi Bryan,

I'd be very interested in a Bokeh Architecture Overview or Q&A. If there were any meetups in the San Francisco Bay Area I'd enjoy meeting others in the community and discussing projects. I'd be interested in joining a Bokeh sprint, whether that was focused on bug fixes or automated testing or feature development.

Regarding the Github Issues, it would be great if some were tagged as suitable for developers new to Bokeh. If I knew which of the 700 issues were the perfect combination of high value for the project and feasible for me to address, I'd be happy to start addressing issues in the backlog.

cheers,
Dennis

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 12:23 PM <[email protected]> wrote:
Bryan,

Craig

Hi all,

Bokeh has recently seen a dramatic increase in interest from many new and existing users (I think the mailing list traffic hit a new 2x high last month!) This is a *great* situation, but it does also present some challenges. However, one of my core beliefs is that the true value of FOSS lies not in the mere fact that it is free, but in the fact that it affords users the opportunity to *participate* and directly influence the project.

So, the GitHub issue tracker (https://github.com/bokeh/bokeh/issues\) is just now about to hit 700 open issues. Most issues need some combination of: investigation, development, testing, review, documentation. With an extremely rough estimate of "one day per issue", the issue tracker represents something like two person-years of work. (My previous life was in physics so I am good at making bad approximations!) To be able to effectively tackle issues and features in a timely manner, I believe it is imperative to encourage more community involvement, and in particular encourage new team members to join the effort.

We need help: testing, documenting, increasing automation, engaging the mailing list and SO, triaging the issue tracker, bug fixing, new feature developing...

Some simple things I'm proposing to enact very soon:

* automated publishing of weekly core team meeting minutes (just need to make it easy and painless)

* moving team and user "chat" to public Slack channels, and promote them heavily (they already exist but are largely unutilized)

* establish clear governance policies around core team membership, etc. (new BEP 6 opened: Issues · bokeh/bokeh · GitHub)

* moving the release "testing matrices" to a publicly viewable place

I think these are fairly straightforward ways to increase both visibility and transparency into the project. However I'd appreciate any comments or feedback.

Here are some other "more involved" ideas that I had, again feedback is incredibly appreciated:

* Holding a "Bokeh Architecture Overview" Webinar or Q&A

development and testing

* Establishing a signup for "Release Testing Volunteers"

* Work with NumFocus to establish a "NumFocus Mentored Project"

* What are other ideas/suggestions for increasing engagement?

* If you have been interested or wanted to get more involved, what obstacles prevented you?

* Would you be interested in volunteering to help with release testing?

Thanks as always,

Bryan

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/1e18f7e1-c8a1-4dcb-a527-8a25e5c4a3c3%40continuum.io\.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout\.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/CAPUwX3MeF73zXYrXUkMFLLz4VcYDLe1BVUyit%2BUnDpGfinnLcg%40mail.gmail.com\.

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/CAGo%3DGUZ%2BNt%2B%2Bq4Wqr9yQyQMkhwamQPHO2Dr-1suuYbz35SS7yw%40mail.gmail.com\.

I can offer a venue in Santa Clara. We host similar events all the time.

···

On Feb 6, 2016 12:27 PM, “SH Ho” [email protected] wrote:

I actually talked to Sarah about running a Bokeh UG in SF Bayarea, but the problem is securing a venue… Which turns out to be a much more difficult and expensive than I thought. So if anyone can or know someone who can offer a space, it’ll help solve the prerequisite first step.

Right now, in SFBA, d3 seems to get all the attention on the street. So, It would be important to demonstrate Bokeh as a viable alternative.

I am like most people on the thread, who are eager to help. But to actually make it work, some planning and organizing need to be done as for what need to be done when and how by whom…

SH

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/CAOT_kgSRsZH1Hp6PUyPSb_XKEvQPMkzj_30WsjGMKqCrWsd3zg%40mail.gmail.com.

Matt, that would be fantastic! I'm actually in Austin but I don't think it would be a problem to make the trek out to the bay area to join a meetup or sprint.

Bryan

···

On Feb 6, 2016, at 3:51 PM, Matt Ettus <[email protected]> wrote:

On Feb 6, 2016 12:27 PM, "SH Ho" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> I actually talked to Sarah about running a Bokeh UG in SF Bayarea, but the problem is securing a venue... Which turns out to be a much more difficult and expensive than I thought. So if anyone can or know someone who can offer a space, it'll help solve the prerequisite first step.
>
> Right now, in SFBA, d3 seems to get all the attention on the street. So, It would be important to demonstrate Bokeh as a viable alternative.
>
> I am like most people on the thread, who are eager to help. But to actually make it work, some planning and organizing need to be done as for what need to be done when and how by whom...
>
> SH
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/CAOT_kgSRsZH1Hp6PUyPSb_XKEvQPMkzj_30WsjGMKqCrWsd3zg%40mail.gmail.com\.
>
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout\.

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/CAN%3D1kn-NtnxDWS59WDQzonDikuAjuUZsZ6Op2s5rKud3tsn8yg%40mail.gmail.com\.

I got the green light to use the facilities for a meetup here at my workplace in downtown San Francisco. I’d just need a couple weeks notice and an estimated head count.

I’d be happy to go to Santa Clara or host here or both. I don’t have the bandwidth to manage an ongoing meetup group, but I’d be happy to contribute and to offer a space.

cheers,

Dennis

···

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 12:03 PM Bryan Van de Ven [email protected] wrote:

Matt, that would be fantastic! I’m actually in Austin but I don’t think it would be a problem to make the trek out to the bay area to join a meetup or sprint.

Bryan

On Feb 6, 2016, at 3:51 PM, Matt Ettus [email protected] wrote:

On Feb 6, 2016 12:27 PM, “SH Ho” [email protected] wrote:

SH

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/CAOT_kgSRsZH1Hp6PUyPSb_XKEvQPMkzj_30WsjGMKqCrWsd3zg%40mail.gmail.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/CAN%3D1kn-NtnxDWS59WDQzonDikuAjuUZsZ6Op2s5rKud3tsn8yg%40mail.gmail.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/BB56944D-CAA3-4058-ABEF-1A5CF6E04BDA%40continuum.io.