first look at using Bokeh for interactive plotting

Hi,

I’m new to Bokeh. I’m trying to get a basic assessment if this is a viable option for us.

What we’re trying to do is to offer an interactive visualization of 2D plots.

The plots are currently generated after complex calculations in Excel. Then plotted in Excel. Then imported into Access.

What looks attractive is something like this : http://modtran.spectral.com/modtran_home

Breaking up the problem into calculation & presentation - can ? should ? Bokeh be used for complex calculations ?

Once presented as a plot, how does one allow interactive changing of input parameters (as in the above example) to update the plot ?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated !

Kind regards,

Arie

I would say it is possible to do what you need, excel and access can be replaced by python, which you need anyway, because it provide updates (via callbacks) and interactivity. I have made simple project very similar to your except sliders, but it wouldn’t be hard to implement. The problem might be how complex are those computations and amount of data.

···

On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 7:25:40 PM UTC+3, [email protected] wrote:

Hi,

I’m new to Bokeh. I’m trying to get a basic assessment if this is a viable option for us.

What we’re trying to do is to offer an interactive visualization of 2D plots.

The plots are currently generated after complex calculations in Excel. Then plotted in Excel. Then imported into Access.

What looks attractive is something like this : http://modtran.spectral.com/modtran_home

Breaking up the problem into calculation & presentation - can ? should ? Bokeh be used for complex calculations ?

Once presented as a plot, how does one allow interactive changing of input parameters (as in the above example) to update the plot ?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated !

Kind regards,

Arie

Thanks for the response.

The computations are many and some are complex…

Where can I get some examples of moderate complexity calculations done using Bokeh and the resulting visualization ?

This way I can judge whether its worth attempting…

Arie

···

On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 11:32:27 AM UTC-7, Andrejus Antoninovas wrote:

I would say it is possible to do what you need, excel and access can be replaced by python, which you need anyway, because it provide updates (via callbacks) and interactivity. I have made simple project very similar to your except sliders, but it wouldn’t be hard to implement. The problem might be how complex are those computations and amount of data.

On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 7:25:40 PM UTC+3, [email protected] wrote:

Hi,

I’m new to Bokeh. I’m trying to get a basic assessment if this is a viable option for us.

What we’re trying to do is to offer an interactive visualization of 2D plots.

The plots are currently generated after complex calculations in Excel. Then plotted in Excel. Then imported into Access.

What looks attractive is something like this : http://modtran.spectral.com/modtran_home

Breaking up the problem into calculation & presentation - can ? should ? Bokeh be used for complex calculations ?

Once presented as a plot, how does one allow interactive changing of input parameters (as in the above example) to update the plot ?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated !

Kind regards,

Arie

Hi,

Is this a question about Bokeh, or about Python more generally? Bokeh itself is a visualization tool, it's not really concerned directly with computations. However, a Bokeh app can tun basically any python code, and Python has tools like:

* numpy - efficient N-dimensional array computations
* spicy - signal processing, statistics, special functions, regressions
* pandas - advanced time series and data frames
* sympy - symbolic mathematics
* scikit-learn - machine learning algorithms
* scikit-image - image processing
* numba - CPU and GPU accelerated computations
* dask - distributed computation

and many more. Any of these can be used by a Bokeh app. I guess it's hard to imagine an excel spreadsheet that could not be reproduced with some combination of these PyData tools, but perhaps if you were more specific about your actual requirements, we could give more specific guidance.

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On Mar 30, 2018, at 16:32, [email protected] wrote:

   Thanks for the response.

The computations are many and some are complex...

Where can I get some examples of moderate complexity calculations done using Bokeh and the resulting visualization ?

This way I can judge whether its worth attempting...

    Arie

On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 11:32:27 AM UTC-7, Andrejus Antoninovas wrote:
I would say it is possible to do what you need, excel and access can be replaced by python, which you need anyway, because it provide updates (via callbacks) and interactivity. I have made simple project very similar to your except sliders, but it wouldn't be hard to implement. The problem might be how complex are those computations and amount of data.

On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 7:25:40 PM UTC+3, [email protected] wrote:
    Hi,

     I'm new to Bokeh. I'm trying to get a basic assessment if this is a viable option for us.
What we're trying to do is to offer an interactive visualization of 2D plots.

The plots are currently generated after complex calculations in Excel. Then plotted in Excel. Then imported into Access.

What looks attractive is something like this : http://modtran.spectral.com/modtran_home

Breaking up the problem into calculation & presentation - can ? should ? Bokeh be used for complex calculations ?
Once presented as a plot, how does one allow interactive changing of input parameters (as in the above example) to update the plot ?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated !

  Kind regards,
      Arie

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/18be237f-f4b8-4457-b8ee-c822cd86a9f0%40continuum.io.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout.