Formatting Text Glyph

I have a ColumnDataSource (source) with three columns and create some text glyphs:

x y score
1 1 12.123456
2 2 99.199999

p.text(x='x', y='y', text='score')

Is there an elegant way to format the glyph (ie, 1 decimal for the score)?
Checking the documentation doesn’t seem to point anything obvious: figure — Bokeh 3.2.0 Documentation

One workaround is to make an extra column in source to store the formatted score and referencing that:

x y score     formatted_score
1 1 12.123456 12.1
2 2 99.199999 99.2

p.text(x='x', y='y', text='formatted_score')

But I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for doing this more elegantly?

Text glyphs don’t currently have any direct integration with [tick] formatters, but it seems like a reasonable thing to possibly consider. Presently you could accomplish this with a CustomJSTransform.

Isn’t this working?

p.text(x="x", y="y", text=f"({p.x}, {p.y}): {p.score:.1f}")

@CatChenal Something like that can work for a single value, as the OP states, they have lots of values, stored in a column of a ColumnDataSource, and wanted to know if they could all be formatted dynamically on the client.

Unfortunately this doesn’t work with a ColumnDataSource.
As of now the only solutions I can think of are:

1. Creating a new formatted column as stated in my first post.
    Inelegant and memory scaling is not ideal. What if I have N different types of text glyphs, each with a different format? That means I need to make N new columns…

2. CustomJSTransform as Bryan stated
    A bit clunky, but by far the “best” workaround.

3. Creating each text glyph individually
    This would be using your solution, but it would completely ignore the ColumnDataSource dynamism and I would lose a lot of functionality.
    An example of this in pseudo-code would be:

for every row in ColumnDataSource:
     p.text(x=row.x, y=row.y, text=f"{row.score:.1f}")

Just fyi, I am using option 1 for now as I don’t need the unformatted score.
But if I did have a requirement to keep the unformatted score, or for more general solutions I would be using Bryan’s suggestion.

Just an FYI that option 3 is not advisable in general. Bokeh is specifically designed to efficiently accommodate “vectorization” via data sources. Glyphs objects, themselves, are quite expensive.

More concretely: If you add one glyph with a 500 element CDS, Bokeh will not break a sweat. If you add 500 individual glyph objects, your plot will be significantly larger and probably unusably slow.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.