good experience using bokeh for math visualization

Hello everyone,

my ongoing difficulties with getting the current master of bokeh to work, I used bokeh 0.4.2 very successfully yesterday (within IPython) while presenting several visualizations of current research we are doing here at RISC. Writing the visualization code was very straightforward and went much quicker than I had expected. In particular, the interactive tools are a key advantage of bokeh over matplotlib or the plotting functionality within Sage. Zooming and panning without additional work on my part is very useful. But the killer feature for me personally is the Hover tool, as this allowed me to easily add a ton of additional information to the visualization that otherwise would not fit.

So I wanted to say a big thank you to the developers! You are doing a great job with bokeh!

The points where I, personally, would love to see improvement/additional features:

• The hover tool is already great. But it would be fantastic to be able to write custom effects that are triggered when the user hovers over a certain element. For example hovering, triggers a set of additional lines and patches to be displayed or to change the opacity of a given set of elements.
  • As already mentioned elsewhere, it would be nice to make it easier to control size and aspect ratio of bokeh plots.
  • For collaboration with researchers who are less comfortable wrangling software, I will need to figure out a simple way to get bokeh running on everyone’s system. I will start a separate thread on that issue.

Cheers,
Felix

Hi Felix,

First thanks for all the kind words and feedback! We definitely plan to make the hover tool more configurable, and the kind of linked selection you describe has always been on the Bokeh roadmap. Aspect/sizing as well. It's a bit rough with so many of us traveling lately, but rest assured these features are important to us!

Thanks again, feedback from users is absolutely the best way to help move Bokeh forward in the right directions, so it is very much appreciated!

Bryan

···

On Apr 2, 2014, at 6:33 PM, Felix Breuer <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello everyone,

my ongoing difficulties with getting the current master of bokeh to work, I used bokeh 0.4.2 very successfully yesterday (within IPython) while presenting several visualizations of current research we are doing here at RISC. Writing the visualization code was very straightforward and went much quicker than I had expected. In particular, the interactive tools are a key advantage of bokeh over matplotlib or the plotting functionality within Sage. Zooming and panning without additional work on my part is very useful. But the killer feature for me personally is the Hover tool, as this allowed me to easily add a ton of additional information to the visualization that otherwise would not fit.

So I wanted to say a big thank you to the developers! You are doing a great job with bokeh!

The points where I, personally, would love to see improvement/additional features:

* The hover tool is already great. But it would be fantastic to be able to write custom effects that are triggered when the user hovers over a certain element. For example hovering, triggers a set of additional lines and patches to be displayed or to change the opacity of a given set of elements.
* As already mentioned elsewhere, it would be nice to make it easier to control size and aspect ratio of bokeh plots.
* For collaboration with researchers who are less comfortable wrangling software, I will need to figure out a simple way to get bokeh running on everyone's system. I will start a separate thread on that issue.

Cheers,
Felix

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/d0062815-2fc8-49d8-91f0-cb7b672992a9%40continuum.io\.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout\.