hbar not handling CSD like vbar

Using a pandas DataFrame to make a horizontal bar chart. The vbar code works like it should, but when I change it to hbar, it breaks and I have to do some workarounds.

This works:

source = ColumnDataSource(dataframe)

p = figure(x_range=source.data[‘operator_name’].tolist(), width=500, height=400)

p.vbar(x=‘operator_name’, top=‘count’, width=0.8, source=source)

show(p)

This doesn’t:

p = figure(y_range=source.data[‘operator_name’].tolist(), width=500, height=400)

p.hbar(y=‘operator_name’, right=‘count’, height=0.8, source=source)

show(p)

Hi,

When reporting a problem, it’s always advised to state what version you are using, as well as provide a complete test case that can be run to reproduce the issue. There are several examples in the User’s Guide that use hbar with a CDS. So this could be a problem with an older version, but it’s not known what version you are using. Or possibly a problem specific to your code or data, but it can’t be run to investigate because it’s not complete.

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On Sep 16, 2017, at 22:45, [email protected] wrote:

Using a pandas DataFrame to make a horizontal bar chart. The vbar code works like it should, but when I change it to hbar, it breaks and I have to do some workarounds.

This works:

p = figure(x_range=source.data[‘operator_name’].tolist(), width=500, height=400)

show(p)

This doesn’t:

p = figure(y_range=source.data[‘operator_name’].tolist(), width=500, height=400)

show(p)

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

To post to this group, send email to [email protected].

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/7651af16-84b5-4358-b259-cbfa1841479c%40continuum.io.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout.

Version: 0.12.7
transfer_rat = {‘count’: {0: 1906,

1: 1879,

2: 1825,

3: 1718,

4: 1718,

5: 1648,

7: 1383,

8: 1364,

9: 1161,

12: 1033,

16: 568},

‘name’: {0: ‘Adams’,

1: ‘Sanfillipo’,

2: ‘Diamond’,

3: ‘Ciminillo’,

4: ‘Jackson’,

5: ‘Townsend’,

7: ‘Clayton’,

8: ‘Weaver’,

9: ‘Williams’,

12: ‘Mclean’,

16: ‘Peabody’}}

source = ColumnDataSource(transfer_rat)

p = figure(y_range=source.data[‘name’].tolist(), width=500, height=400)

p.hbar(y=‘name’, right=‘count’, height=0.8, source=source)

show(p)

However, the same data works for vbar (when changing y_range, y, right, and height to x_range, x, top, and width, respectively).

···

On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 2:49:49 AM UTC-4, Bryan Van de ven wrote:

Hi,

When reporting a problem, it’s always advised to state what version you are using, as well as provide a complete test case that can be run to reproduce the issue. There are several examples in the User’s Guide that use hbar with a CDS. So this could be a problem with an older version, but it’s not known what version you are using. Or possibly a problem specific to your code or data, but it can’t be run to investigate because it’s not complete.

Thanks,

Bryan

This works:

show(p)

This doesn’t:

show(p)

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/7651af16-84b5-4358-b259-cbfa1841479c%40continuum.io.

Hi,

That code is not complete (it's missing imports and a call to output_file) and when I add the missing code, it still does not run, because the column values of transfer_rat are not columns, they are dictionaries. I'll be happy to investigate further if you post a 100% complete, runnable as-is code sample. Otherwise my best suggestion offhand is to try using the latest version 0.12.9 instead.

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On Sep 17, 2017, at 09:15, Hiram Foster <[email protected]> wrote:

transfer_rat = {'count': {0: 1906,
'name': {0: 'Adams',
  1: 'Sanfillipo',
  2: 'Diamond',
  3: 'Ciminillo',
  4: 'Jackson',
  5: 'Townsend',
  7: 'Clayton',
  8: 'Weaver',
  9: 'Williams',
  12: 'Mclean',
  16: 'Peabody'}}

p = figure(y_range=source.data['name'].tolist(), width=500, height=400)
p.hbar(y='name', right='count', height=0.8, source=source)
show(p)

However, the same data works for vbar (when changing y_range, y, right, and height to x_range, x, top, and width, respectively).

Hi,

When reporting a problem, it's always advised to state what version you are using, as well as provide a complete test case that can be run to reproduce the issue. There are several examples in the User's Guide that use hbar with a CDS. So this could be a problem with an older version, but it's not known what version you are using. Or possibly a problem specific to your code or data, but it can't be run to investigate because it's not complete.

Thanks,

Bryan

On Sep 16, 2017, at 22:45, hi...@boldpenguin.com wrote:

This works:
p = figure(x_range=source.data['operator_name'].tolist(), width=500, height=400)
p.vbar(x='operator_name', top='count', width=0.8, source=source)
show(p)

This doesn't:
p = figure(y_range=source.data['operator_name'].tolist(), width=500, height=400)
p.hbar(y='operator_name', right='count', height=0.8, source=source)
show(p)

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to bokeh+un...@continuum.io.
To post to this group, send email to bo...@continuum.io.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/7651af16-84b5-4358-b259-cbfa1841479c%40continuum.io\.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout\.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/33b726f5-07cc-4135-9fdb-1594d8825a59%40continuum.io\.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout\.

Thanks Brian for all your help. Here is the full code (I’m using Jupyter 4.3.0).Btw, conda install bokeh is still giving me 0.12.7 as the most recent version.

import pandas as pd

from bokeh.plotting import figure

from bokeh.io import output_notebook, show, push_notebook

from bokeh.models import ColumnDataSource, HoverTool

from bokeh.layouts import gridplot, row

from ipywidgets import interact

output_notebook()

df = pd.DataFrame({‘count’: {0: 1906,

16: ‘Peabody’}})

vertical bar chart

source = ColumnDataSource(df)

p = figure(x_range=source.data[‘name’].tolist())

p.vbar(x=‘name’, top=‘count’, width=0.8, source=source)

show(p)

horitzontal bar chart

ource = ColumnDataSource(df)

p = figure(y_range=source.data[‘name’].tolist())

show(p)

···

On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 10:26:11 AM UTC-4, Bryan Van de ven wrote:

Hi,

That code is not complete (it’s missing imports and a call to output_file) and when I add the missing code, it still does not run, because the column values of transfer_rat are not columns, they are dictionaries. I’ll be happy to investigate further if you post a 100% complete, runnable as-is code sample. Otherwise my best suggestion offhand is to try using the latest version 0.12.9 instead.

Thanks,

Bryan

On Sep 17, 2017, at 09:15, Hiram Foster [email protected] wrote:

show(p)

Hi,

Thanks,

Bryan

This works:

show(p)

This doesn’t:

show(p)

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/33b726f5-07cc-4135-9fdb-1594d8825a59%40continuum.io.

Hi,

I think there is an issue with older conda version and the noarch packages we build. This should work:

❯ conda install -c bokeh bokeh=0.12.9
Fetching package metadata .............
Solving package specifications: .

Package plan for installation in environment /Users/bryan/anaconda:

The following NEW packages will be INSTALLED:

futures-compat: 1.0-py3_0

The following packages will be UPDATED:

bokeh:          0.12.5-py36_1 --> 0.12.9-py_0 bokeh

However, PLEASE NOTE, As of Bokeh 0.12.9, only jupyter >= 5.0 and jupyter-lab are supported. You will have to update your notebook install if you upgrade Bokeh.

I can’t reproduce your issue. In a cleanly started notebook I get the correct output attached below. I am afraid I don’t know what else to suggest at this. I have never seen or heard of anything like you describe and can’t find a way to reproduce it, either. Perhaps trying to run the code in a regular python script, or on a different machine might yield useful information.

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On Sep 17, 2017, at 14:17, Hiram Foster [email protected] wrote:

Thanks Brian for all your help. Here is the full code (I’m using Jupyter 4.3.0).Btw, conda install bokeh is still giving me 0.12.7 as the most recent version.

import pandas as pd
output_notebook()

vertical bar chart

show(p)

horitzontal bar chart

show(p)

Hi,

That code is not complete (it’s missing imports and a call to output_file) and when I add the missing code, it still does not run, because the column values of transfer_rat are not columns, they are dictionaries. I’ll be happy to investigate further if you post a 100% complete, runnable as-is code sample. Otherwise my best suggestion offhand is to try using the latest version 0.12.9 instead.

Thanks,

Bryan

On Sep 17, 2017, at 09:15, Hiram Foster <hi…@boldpenguin.com> wrote:

show(p)

Hi,

Thanks,

Bryan

On Sep 16, 2017, at 22:45, hi…@boldpenguin.com wrote:

This works:
show(p)

This doesn’t:
show(p)

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to bokeh+un…@continuum.io.
To post to this group, send email to bo…@continuum.io.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/33b726f5-07cc-4135-9fdb-1594d8825a59%40continuum.io.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/2024aa28-9480-47d4-8f9b-5569cc73c4cb%40continuum.io.

That fixed it! I created a new environment and installed Bokeh 0.12.9 and (jupyter) notebook 5.0.0.

···

On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 3:11:10 PM UTC-4, Bryan Van de ven wrote:

Hi,

I think there is an issue with older conda version and the noarch packages we build. This should work:

❯ conda install -c bokeh bokeh=0.12.9
Fetching package metadata …
Solving package specifications: .

Package plan for installation in environment /Users/bryan/anaconda:

The following NEW packages will be INSTALLED:

futures-compat: 1.0-py3_0

The following packages will be UPDATED:

bokeh:          0.12.5-py36_1 --> 0.12.9-py_0 bokeh

However, PLEASE NOTE, As of Bokeh 0.12.9, only jupyter >= 5.0 and jupyter-lab are supported. You will have to update your notebook install if you upgrade Bokeh.

I can’t reproduce your issue. In a cleanly started notebook I get the correct output attached below. I am afraid I don’t know what else to suggest at this. I have never seen or heard of anything like you describe and can’t find a way to reproduce it, either. Perhaps trying to run the code in a regular python script, or on a different machine might yield useful information.

Thanks,

Bryan

On Sep 17, 2017, at 14:17, Hiram Foster [email protected] wrote:

import pandas as pd
output_notebook()

vertical bar chart

show(p)

horitzontal bar chart

show(p)

Hi,

Thanks,

Bryan

On Sep 17, 2017, at 09:15, Hiram Foster <hi…@boldpenguin.com> wrote:

show(p)

Hi,

Thanks,

Bryan

On Sep 16, 2017, at 22:45, hi…@boldpenguin.com wrote:

This works:
show(p)

This doesn’t:
show(p)

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to bokeh+un…@continuum.io.
To post to this group, send email to bo…@continuum.io.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/2024aa28-9480-47d4-8f9b-5569cc73c4cb%40continuum.io.