How can I improve awesome-panel.org?

Hi Bokeh Community

I’m developing in Panel but as it stands on the shoulders of Bokeh I thought it would be meaningfull to post this here.

It’s a cross post from How can I improve awesome-panel.org? - Panel - HoloViz Discourse.

Hi

I’m very interested in enabling that domain experts like engineers, analysts and scientist can create awesome analytics tools and apps.

In order to help lower the friction and improve the functionality I’ve created awesome-streamlit.org. I can see that it has actually helped a lot of people. Now I’m looking into Panel and I’m working on awesome-panel.org.

Feel free to checkout the app at awesome-panel.org and the repo at GitHub - MarcSkovMadsen/awesome-panel: A repository for sharing knowledge on Panel by HoloViz in order to build awesome analytics apps in Python.

If you have ideas and suggestions for improvements feel free to create an issue or pull request.

The status is that I’ve created the basic functionality but have not added a lot of example apps. My plan is to include apps similar to the ones I’ve created in the Gallery at awesome-streamlit.org and some apps that I have seen on the web that can be used to get a feel for how Panel compares to Streamlit, Bokeh, Voila and Dash.

1 Like

One issue that I’ve immediately noticed is that the home page loads quite a few resources, some of them are inlined in the HTML. It makes the initial page load rather slow.
Apart from that, great job! :+1:

1 Like

A lot of things have changed and improved at awesome-panel.org.

It is now based on a general application framework I’ve started building and a Material Template. And more examples are added to the gallery and I believe they start to look and feel great.

You can follow the improvements here Awesome-panel.org change log - Showcase - HoloViz Discourse

@Bryan. I remember a comment from you about Bokeh not really supporting dynamically updating and replacing things. But I actually think it works great now and that awesome-panel.org is an example of this. : -) Thanks.

1 Like

@MarcSkovMadsen Thanks for the links and great content. I should have more time to devote to Bokeh in the near future so we should try to sync up at some point (perhaps with @Philipp_Rudiger) to take stock of more improvements that might make sense (either in Bokeh or pyviz tools)

1 Like

@MarcSkovMadsen This is an incredibly resource and many thanks for sharing this. The OWID chloropleth map is great. I think a good extension/addition would be demonstrating the functionality of a datetime based map . Why - myself and others work frequently with daily/hourly data over multiple years (think UBER, fire department, climate science, renewable energy monitoring). Personally I’m working with influxdb (timeseries db) and Grafana (visualisation) but Grafana is notably behind for spatial mapping which lead me to discover Bokeh/Panel for retaining the user interaction of these visualisations.

I understand the panel isn’t an exhaustive documentation feature but I think it would be a great addition for people working with hourly/daily data over several years who don’t have the java/html skills.

Thanks for sharing this awesome work!

2 Likes

Hi @sesoko88

Thanks for an awesome suggestion.

Do you have a specific example in mind. A link to an example and/ or some data would make it easy (i believe) to make an example.

Thanks.