How do you access the session of a bokeh application created using bokeh serve?

Hi, I’m trying to create an interactive visualization that uses the bokeh server through bokeh serve, but I’m having trouble updating the visualization. Specifically I want to update the visualization by changing the plots shown entirely (For example, changing from a single Figure to a GridPlot). I’ve found examples that show how to update plots by changing the data source, but I haven’t seen any examples that show how to add or remove plots. I’ve tried removing a previous layout from the document root and then adding a new layout, but am having trouble syncing this new state. Using bokeh.io.push() results in an error that the session_id doesn’t exist. I also noticed that the session_id printed to the console by the bokeh serve debugging is different from the session_id that is associated with bokeh.io._state. Is there a way to access the session of the bokeh application itself? And would this be the right way to go about syncing the display of components in an application?

Thanks,

Claire

Is this in a Bokeh App in the server, or are you using the bokeh.client API from a different python process?

Bryan

···

On Mar 1, 2016, at 4:35 PM, [email protected] wrote:

Hi, I'm trying to create an interactive visualization that uses the bokeh server through bokeh serve, but I'm having trouble updating the visualization. Specifically I want to update the visualization by changing the plots shown entirely (For example, changing from a single Figure to a GridPlot). I've found examples that show how to update plots by changing the data source, but I haven't seen any examples that show how to add or remove plots. I've tried removing a previous layout from the document root and then adding a new layout, but am having trouble syncing this new state. Using bokeh.io.push() results in an error that the session_id doesn't exist. I also noticed that the session_id printed to the console by the bokeh serve debugging is different from the session_id that is associated with bokeh.io._state. Is there a way to access the session of the bokeh application itself? And would this be the right way to go about syncing the display of components in an application?

Thanks,
Claire

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/764ca593-c68b-400d-a582-a7d37f90a721%40continuum.io\.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout\.

Hi Bryan,

I think this is a bokeh app in the server, not using the bokeh.client API. A more minimal example of the problem that I’m facing is below.

from bokeh.plotting import Figure

from bokeh.models.layouts import VBox

from bokeh.models.widgets import RadioGroup

import bokeh.io as io

fig1 = Figure()

fig1.circle(x=[1,2], y=[3,4])

fig2 = Figure()

fig2.circle(x=[100,200], y=[200, 1000])

def switch_plots(selected_plot):

io.curdoc().clear()

print(io.curdoc().roots)

#print(io._state.session_id)

io.curdoc().add_root(layouts[selected_plot])

io.curdoc().add_root(layout_picker)

print(io.curdoc().roots)

io.push()

layout_picker = RadioGroup(labels=[‘Layout1’, ‘Layout2’])

layout_picker.on_click(switch_plots)

layout1 = VBox(children=[fig1])

layout2 = VBox(children=[fig2])

layouts = [layout1, layout2]

io.curdoc().add_root(layout1)

io.curdoc().add_root(layout_picker)

The full output from running this will be in a P.S. below, but here are the highlights. I run the .py file using bokeh serve. Clicking the radio button clears the document and adds the layout that I want back. But nothing displayed will change, which is why I then tried calling io.push(), but this causes the error that some session_id is None.

2016-03-03 21:07:46,946 Sending pull-doc-reply from session ‘O9nzom7tgeHqLpmUBmceN2ZvxMrxIxcMn0zEPfGLhzhe’

[<bokeh.models.layouts.VBox object at 0x105833290>, <bokeh.models.widgets.groups.RadioGroup object at 0x105833250>]

2016-03-03 21:07:53,256 error handling message Message ‘PATCH-DOC’ (revision 1): AssertionError()

2016-03-03 21:07:53,256 message header {u’msgid’: u’A40B65A85C7343D498D2B64E0649D259’, u’msgtype’: u’PATCH-DOC’} content {u’references’: , u’events’: [{u’new’: 0, u’kind’: u’ModelChanged’, u’model’: {u’type’: u’RadioGroup’, u’id’: u’1057’}, u’attr’: u’active’}]}

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/Users/claire/Documents/test/plots_test.py”, line 19, in switch_plots

io.push()

File “/Users/claire/Documents/bokeh/bokeh/io.py”, line 465, in push

assert session_id is not None

AssertionError

Interestingly, now when I uncomment the print statement that prints out the state’s session_id, I don’t get the same error. Instead it says Running state NOT_YET_CONNECTED? When I first made this post, I think I was still getting the AssertionError, but what I noticed then was that the session ids don’t match, which is shown here too. It seems like the session id for the application is the 6TY… one and the session id on io._state is 7UIp…

2016-03-03 21:14:03,004 Sending pull-doc-reply from session ‘6TYyGlWNb6sK4oKYT5Ve6fppcuwMWZ4YeuYT70MtqcZs’

7UIpi15YVV718UlyNwae2TY8B5b3k8lIllBIOTQ9T4T3

[<bokeh.models.layouts.VBox object at 0x105933290>, <bokeh.models.widgets.groups.RadioGroup object at 0x105933250>]

2016-03-03 21:14:04,518 Running state NOT_YET_CONNECTED

The question is how to get this to work. Or how to get the display to sync with the current document, io.curdoc().

P.S.

Again, this is full output of running the exact code that I posted at the beginning of this message.

(bokeh-dev)ClairesMacBook:test claire$ BOKEH_SIMPLE_IDS=true /users/claire/documents/bokeh/bin/bokeh serve --show plots_test.py

2016-03-03 21:07:45,647 Starting Bokeh server version 0.12.0dev2-3-g6a0d60f

2016-03-03 21:07:45,648 Allowed Host headers: [‘localhost:5006’]

2016-03-03 21:07:45,648 These host origins can connect to the websocket: [‘localhost:5006’]

2016-03-03 21:07:45,648 Patterns are: [(‘/plots_test/?’, <class ‘bokeh.server.views.doc_handler.DocHandler’>, {‘application_context’: <bokeh.server.application_context.ApplicationContext object at 0x1057a4c90>, ‘bokeh_websocket_path’: ‘/plots_test/ws’}), (‘/plots_test/ws’, <class ‘bokeh.server.views.ws.WSHandler’>, {‘application_context’: <bokeh.server.application_context.ApplicationContext object at 0x1057a4c90>, ‘bokeh_websocket_path’: ‘/plots_test/ws’}), (‘/plots_test/autoload.js’, <class ‘bokeh.server.views.autoload_js_handler.AutoloadJsHandler’>, {‘application_context’: <bokeh.server.application_context.ApplicationContext object at 0x1057a4c90>, ‘bokeh_websocket_path’: ‘/plots_test/ws’}), (‘/static/(.*)’, <class ‘bokeh.server.views.static_handler.StaticHandler’>)]

2016-03-03 21:07:45,651 Starting Bokeh server on port 5006 with applications at paths [‘/plots_test’]

2016-03-03 21:07:46,274 200 GET /plots_test (::1) 91.07ms

2016-03-03 21:07:46,794 WebSocket connection opened

2016-03-03 21:07:46,794 Receiver created for Protocol(u’1.0’)

2016-03-03 21:07:46,795 ServerHandler created for Protocol(u’1.0’)

2016-03-03 21:07:46,795 ServerConnection created

2016-03-03 21:07:46,946 Sending pull-doc-reply from session ‘O9nzom7tgeHqLpmUBmceN2ZvxMrxIxcMn0zEPfGLhzhe’

[<bokeh.models.layouts.VBox object at 0x105833290>, <bokeh.models.widgets.groups.RadioGroup object at 0x105833250>]

2016-03-03 21:07:53,256 error handling message Message ‘PATCH-DOC’ (revision 1): AssertionError()

2016-03-03 21:07:53,256 message header {u’msgid’: u’A40B65A85C7343D498D2B64E0649D259’, u’msgtype’: u’PATCH-DOC’} content {u’references’: , u’events’: [{u’new’: 0, u’kind’: u’ModelChanged’, u’model’: {u’type’: u’RadioGroup’, u’id’: u’1057’}, u’attr’: u’active’}]}

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/Users/claire/Documents/bokeh/bokeh/server/protocol/server_handler.py”, line 38, in handle

work = yield handler(message, connection)

File “//anaconda/envs/bokeh-dev/lib/python2.7/site-packages/tornado/gen.py”, line 1008, in run

value = future.result()

File “//anaconda/envs/bokeh-dev/lib/python2.7/site-packages/tornado/concurrent.py”, line 232, in result

raise_exc_info(self._exc_info)

File “//anaconda/envs/bokeh-dev/lib/python2.7/site-packages/tornado/gen.py”, line 1017, in run

yielded = self.gen.send(value)

File “/Users/claire/Documents/bokeh/bokeh/server/session.py”, line 42, in _needs_document_lock_wrapper

result = yield yield_for_all_futures(func(self, *args, **kwargs))

File “/Users/claire/Documents/bokeh/bokeh/server/session.py”, line 212, in _handle_patch

message.apply_to_document(self.document)

File “/Users/claire/Documents/bokeh/bokeh/server/protocol/messages/patch_doc.py”, line 85, in apply_to_document

doc.apply_json_patch(self.content)

File “/Users/claire/Documents/bokeh/bokeh/document.py”, line 862, in apply_json_patch

patched_obj.set_from_json(attr, value, models=references)

File “/Users/claire/Documents/bokeh/bokeh/core/properties.py”, line 733, in set_from_json

prop.set_from_json(self, json, models)

File “/Users/claire/Documents/bokeh/bokeh/core/properties.py”, line 371, in set_from_json

models)

File “/Users/claire/Documents/bokeh/bokeh/core/properties.py”, line 323, in set_from_json

return self.__set__(obj, json)

File “/Users/claire/Documents/bokeh/bokeh/core/properties.py”, line 456, in set

self._real_set(obj, old, value)

File “/Users/claire/Documents/bokeh/bokeh/core/properties.py”, line 446, in _real_set

self._trigger(obj, old, value, hint)

File “/Users/claire/Documents/bokeh/bokeh/core/properties.py”, line 397, in _trigger

obj.trigger(self.name, old, value, hint)

File “/Users/claire/Documents/bokeh/bokeh/model.py”, line 112, in trigger

super(Model, self).trigger(attr, old, new, hint)

File “/Users/claire/Documents/bokeh/bokeh/util/callback_manager.py”, line 105, in trigger

self._document._with_self_as_curdoc(invoke)

File “/Users/claire/Documents/bokeh/bokeh/document.py”, line 491, in _with_self_as_curdoc

return f()

File “/Users/claire/Documents/bokeh/bokeh/util/callback_manager.py”, line 102, in invoke

callback(attr, old, new)

File “/Users/claire/Documents/bokeh/bokeh/models/widgets/groups.py”, line 33, in

self.on_change('active', lambda attr, old, new: handler(new))

File “/Users/claire/Documents/test/plots_test.py”, line 19, in switch_plots

io.push()

File “/Users/claire/Documents/bokeh/bokeh/io.py”, line 465, in push

assert session_id is not None

AssertionError

···

On Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 9:04:06 AM UTC-8, Bryan Van de ven wrote:

Is this in a Bokeh App in the server, or are you using the bokeh.client API from a different python process?

Bryan

On Mar 1, 2016, at 4:35 PM, [email protected] wrote:

Hi, I’m trying to create an interactive visualization that uses the bokeh server through bokeh serve, but I’m having trouble updating the visualization. Specifically I want to update the visualization by changing the plots shown entirely (For example, changing from a single Figure to a GridPlot). I’ve found examples that show how to update plots by changing the data source, but I haven’t seen any examples that show how to add or remove plots. I’ve tried removing a previous layout from the document root and then adding a new layout, but am having trouble syncing this new state. Using bokeh.io.push() results in an error that the session_id doesn’t exist. I also noticed that the session_id printed to the console by the bokeh serve debugging is different from the session_id that is associated with bokeh.io._state. Is there a way to access the session of the bokeh application itself? And would this be the right way to go about syncing the display of components in an application?

Thanks,

Claire

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

To post to this group, send email to [email protected].

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/764ca593-c68b-400d-a582-a7d37f90a721%40continuum.io.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout.

I also found a workaround for this. If I wrap everything in another layout, then I don’t need to move things from the document root at all and instead can just change the children attribute on the wrapper layout. Here, clicking the radio button switches between the layouts (and I’m pretty sure that it would work with my use case, changing the number of plots in the layout, too).

from bokeh.plotting import Figure

from bokeh.models.layouts import VBox

from bokeh.models.widgets import RadioGroup

from bokeh.io import curdoc

fig1 = Figure()

fig1.circle(x=[1,2], y=[3,4])

fig2 = Figure()

fig2.circle(x=[100,200], y=[200, 1000])

def switch_plots(selected_plot):

main_box.children = layouts[selected_plot]

layout_picker = RadioGroup(labels=[‘Layout1’, ‘Layout2’])

layout_picker.on_click(switch_plots)

layout1 = VBox(children=[fig1])

layout2 = VBox(children=[fig2])

layouts = [[layout1], [layout2]]

main_box = VBox(children=[layout1])

curdoc().add_root(main_box)

curdoc().add_root(layout_picker)

So this works, but another interesting thing is the output from running this, which seems like it could be some kind of bug, but I haven’t looked into it.

2016-03-03 21:23:23,259 JSON had attr u’y_range_name’ on obj <bokeh.models.markers.Circle object at 0x105832150>, which is a client-only or invalid attribute that shouldn’t have been sent

2016-03-03 21:23:23,260 JSON had attr u’x_range_name’ on obj <bokeh.models.markers.Circle object at 0x105832150>, which is a client-only or invalid attribute that shouldn’t have been sent