Issues with tooltip for scatter plot with linear_cmap

I’m trying to display a tooltip for my scatter plot. All tooltips for the line plots are showing up but not the scatter plot, I noticed that after I added the linear_cmap (which requires me to use the source param instead of x and y as columnar data) it messed up the tooltip.

This is an interactive plot within a jupyter notebook.

import ipywidgets as widgets
from ipywidgets import interact
import pandas as pd
from bokeh.plotting import figure, show
from bokeh.models import HoverTool
from bokeh.transform import factor_cmap, linear_cmap
from bokeh.models import ColorBar

all_df = pd.Dataframe({
'date': ['2021-01-01', '2021-01-02', '2021-01-03'],
'country': ['X','X','X'],
'metric1': [100,200,300],
'is_outlier_metric1_30': [100,200,300],
'metric1_avg_30'': [50, 60, 70],
'metric1_avg_60'': [50, 55, 60],
})

all_df['date'] = pd.to_datetime(all_df['date'], format='%Y-%m-%d')

# in another cell within a jupyter notebook
@interact
def scatter_plot(cty=list(all_df['country'].unique()), 
                rolling_window=[30,60,90,180,360],
                 z_std_thresh = [2, 3],
                 delta_type=['metric1', 'metric2']):

temp_df = all_df[all_df['country'] == cty]
    temp_df = temp_df[(temp_df.index >= '2021-01-01') & (temp_df.index <= '2021-12-31')]
    temp_df = apply_threshold(temp_df, z_std_thresh, delta_type)
    outlier_df = temp_df[temp_df[f'is_outlier_{delta_type}_{rolling_window}'] == 1]   
    nom_str = 'Nominal' if delta_type == 'rev_variation_z' else 'Percent'

p = figure(width=1200, height=800, x_axis_type="datetime")
    index_cmap = linear_cmap('category', palette=['blue', 'red'], low=0, high=1)
    temp_source = ColumnDataSource(temp_df)
    p.scatter(x='date' , y=delta_type, source=temp_source, line_color=index_cmap)
    p.line(x=temp_df.index , y=temp_df[f'{delta_type}_avg_30'], line_color= "pink")
    p.line(x=temp_df.index , y=temp_df[f'{delta_type}_avg_60'], line_color= "orange")

hover = HoverTool(tooltips=[('date', '@x{%F}'), ('delta_type/avg', '@y')], formatters={'@x': 'datetime'}, mode='vline')
    p.add_tools(hover)

color_bar = ColorBar(color_mapper=index_cmap['transform'], width=8)
    p.add_layout(color_bar, 'right')
    show(p)

What have you tried that did NOT work as expected? If you have also posted this question elsewhere (e.g. StackOverflow), please include a link to that post.

Here is a screenshot of what’s going on.

@gityow tooltip specifications like @foo refer to column names in a ColumnDataSource. When you don’t pass an explicit CDS to a glyph, Bokeh creates one for you, with default column names like “x” and “y” — in which case @x and @y works in a tooltip. But you are now passing in a CDS and it does not have “x” and “y” columns, instead it has columns named “data” and delta_type.

Your best bet, especially if you want to use the same hover for multiple glyphs, is to rename the columns in the your CDS to be “x” and “y”. The other alternative is to have a tooltip specification that refers to the real column names.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.