"Javascript error adding output!" when using Bokeh in jupyter notebook

I’m on Mac OS 10.10.4 and using bokeh dev9. I have conda envs set up for both python 3.4 and 3.5 (each a full Anaconda install). In both envs when I open a Jupyter notebook and do the following:

import numpy as np

import pandas as pd

from bokeh.plotting import figure, show, output_notebook

and then

output_notebook()

I get the following error:

BokehJS successfully loaded.

Javascript error adding output!

ReferenceError: Can’t find variable: Bokeh

See your browser Javascript console for more details.

I have been getting this error for the last week and a half as I’ve been learning bokeh. I haven’t worried about it because if I execute the cell with output_notebook() a second time the error message goes away and I just get

I thought I’d let the devs know so 0.11 doesn’t get released with this problem as it would likely be disconcerting to users.

Thanks,

Greg

Hey Greg,

I see the same error on Win64 with Bokeh dev9, but i think also with some previous versions. For me it only occurs the first time after starting the browser (Firefox), even if i restart the kernel and clear all outputs from the notebook, the error doesn’t occur. Only after restarting the browser. Like you say, it doesn’t seem to have much effect since Bokeh works fine afterwards.

Regards,
Rutger

···

On Friday, January 1, 2016 at 11:22:14 PM UTC+1, Greg Nordin wrote:

I’m on Mac OS 10.10.4 and using bokeh dev9. I have conda envs set up for both python 3.4 and 3.5 (each a full Anaconda install). In both envs when I open a Jupyter notebook and do the following:

import numpy as np

import pandas as pd

and then

output_notebook()

I have been getting this error for the last week and a half as I’ve been learning bokeh. I haven’t worried about it because if I execute the cell with output_notebook() a second time the error message goes away and I just get

I thought I’d let the devs know so 0.11 doesn’t get released with this problem as it would likely be disconcerting to users.

Thanks,

Greg

Hi,

···

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 9:49 AM, Rutger Kassies [email protected] wrote:

Hey Greg,

I see the same error on Win64 with Bokeh dev9, but i think also with some previous versions. For me it only occurs the first time after starting the browser (Firefox), even if i restart the kernel and clear all outputs from the notebook, the error doesn’t occur. Only after restarting the browser. Like you say, it doesn’t seem to have much effect since Bokeh works fine afterwards.

this is a confirmed issue and we should have it fixed in today’s rc1 build of bokeh 0.11.

Mateusz

Regards,
Rutger

On Friday, January 1, 2016 at 11:22:14 PM UTC+1, Greg Nordin wrote:

import numpy as np

import pandas as pd

and then

output_notebook()

Thanks,

Greg

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

To post to this group, send email to [email protected].

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/894f21d6-fb52-4281-88ab-e4338831eb26%40continuum.io.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout.