Kernel crashes when loading longer videos

Hi all,

I am asking this here, since similar issues were encountered before. I suspect that there is something wrong with the tornado library and how this might be integrated with bokeh. (Bokeh embedded session limitations, race condition or bug?)

I was using pane.Video() to display videos for a jupyter notebook. However, when I started player longer videos (> 15 minutes), the kernel always crashed. It works perfectly fine with videos that are less 2 minutes, so I suppose it has to do with how data is being transferred.

To explain the set-up, I am working on a cluster and use port forwarding to use the display on my local computer for jupyter lab. I get the error that something is wrong with Tornado library etc.

The next time the kernel restarts and I try to run the same cell again, I get the error:
[I 2024-01-24 17:02:07.460 ServerApp] AsyncIOLoopKernelRestarter: restarting kernel (1/5), keep random ports

I also tried loading larger videos with IPython.Video which worked seamlessly. However, when loading videos with the panel library, it breaks. Does anyone have any idea about how to fix this? Any insight would be appreciated!

Also, if this is not relevant to this platform, please let me know. I am happy to remove the post and ask elsewhere :).

HI @victoriayuechen I am afraid there is not nearly enough information here to go on. At this point I am not even really sure this is a Bokeh question, e.g. what is pane.Video? It’s definitely not a part of Bokeh, so I don’t really see where Bokeh even enters the equation here.

However, when loading videos with the panel library, it breaks.

Panel is a separate project, maintained by a different group of people. I don’t have any expertise with Panel to offer any suggestions. They have their own Discourse: https://discourse.holoviz.org/

Hi Bryan,

It is the Panel library which I learned was built on Bokeh internally. I did in fact make the same post on the Holoviz discourse. I posted it here too because it seems like there were issues encountered before with the tornado library here.

Thank you for the response! I will mark your answer as the solution so that this post is closed :).

@victoriayuechen It’s certainly possible there is some problem with the Panel APIs that ultimately involves an underlying issue with Bokeh, but this is something the Panel devs would need to investigate and characterize and bring to our attention with enough technical detail to act upon.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.