My impression about Bokeh, in response to a request by Bryan Van de Ven

Hello, dear Bokeh contributors and users.
I write this message in a response to a request by Brian Van de Ven, in which he asked me to clarify a series of my tweets regarding Bokeh vs. Plot.ly comparison. For the reference, the original tweet is here: https://twitter.com/boris_gorelik/status/757878933585072128. Brian has asked me to provide more details “around this statement”. Since I am not 100 sure which of my statement Brian was referring to, I will elaborate on everything I think about Bokeh, in the hope that the developing team will find this feedback useful.

1. I love Bokeh. It is currently my de-facto standard visualization library for data exploration. I use it exclusively in Jupyter notebooks. Occasionally, I share stand-alone HTML files with colleagues, and I consider using a Bokeh app for one of my future presentations.

2. Whenever I need a static image (blog post, technical report, presentation slide), I go back to Matplotlib, as I find its typography superior over Bokeh.

3. No 3D rendering is not a big deal, but sometimes I wish I could create a quck 3d interactive scatter plot.

4. The linked brushing feature was the feature that made me making my mind in my bokeh vs plotly argumentation.

5. Another “killer feature” is that in bokeh, the data is private and local by default. This is unlike plotly, in which the default behavior is to send the data to their API’s. Some of the documented features don’t work if run offline.

6. For some reason, the interactive plot.ly graphs feel more responsive, compared to @bokeh. I don’t know how to explain this – it’s just that.

I hope this helps,

Boris

Hi Boris,

Thanks for the kind words and also for taking the time to come share your thoughts. The information about what is really useful is both validating as well as informative and useful!

This is specifically the comment on twitter that caught my attention:

6. For some reason, the interactive plot.ly graphs feel more responsive, compared to @bokeh. I don't know how to explain this -- it's just that.

If you do ever have concrete thoughts or comparisons, please do share. We have put some efforts into optimizations, but there are certainly still many more things we could address, and user feedback is definitely a great way to know what needs the most attention.

Thanks again,

Bryan

···

On Aug 11, 2016, at 3:03 PM, [email protected] wrote:

Hello, dear Bokeh contributors and users.
I write this message in a response to a request by Brian Van de Ven, in which he asked me to clarify a series of my tweets regarding Bokeh vs. Plot.ly comparison. For the reference, the original tweet is here: https://twitter.com/boris_gorelik/status/757878933585072128\. Brian has asked me to provide more details "around this statement". Since I am not 100 sure which of my statement Brian was referring to, I will elaborate on everything I think about Bokeh, in the hope that the developing team will find this feedback useful.

1. I love Bokeh. It is currently my de-facto standard visualization library for data exploration. I use it exclusively in Jupyter notebooks. Occasionally, I share stand-alone HTML files with colleagues, and I consider using a Bokeh app for one of my future presentations.
2. Whenever I need a static image (blog post, technical report, presentation slide), I go back to Matplotlib, as I find its typography superior over Bokeh.
3. No 3D rendering is not a big deal, but sometimes I wish I could create a quck 3d interactive scatter plot.
4. The linked brushing feature was _the_ feature that made me making my mind in my bokeh vs plotly argumentation.
5. Another "killer feature" is that in bokeh, the data is private and local by default. This is unlike plotly, in which the default behavior is to send the data to their API's. Some of the documented features don't work if run offline.
6. For some reason, the interactive plot.ly graphs feel more responsive, compared to @bokeh. I don't know how to explain this -- it's just that.

I hope this helps,
Boris

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/cb2ced96-76dd-4b1f-a057-e7d334c6a4c1%40continuum.io\.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout\.