Prevent tiles from turning grey with Zoom In

Is there a way with Bokeh to zoom in further and just get extra pixelated tiles? Even though they are pixelated it is more useful than having them turn grey.

Side reference, there appears to be a way with Leaflet:
(zooming - Leaflet how to increase maxZoom - Stack Overflow)

@Eric_Johnson you will need to provide more details, including version info and a complete Minimal Reproducible Example. If I try zooming in the example renderer in the docs I never see any grey tiles, and the tiles do start to pixellate.

Been a long time, sorry just responding now. Below is a minimal reproducible example.

Bokeh 2.4.2

I get the same as you did Bryan on that example, so the issue appears to be with ESRI_IMAGERY.

Is there a way to set the ESRI’s " NoDataTileBehavior". That would be nice to zoom in further without the map turning grey.

from bokeh.plotting import figure, output_file, show
from bokeh.tile_providers import ESRI_IMAGERY, get_provider

tile_provider = get_provider(ESRI_IMAGERY)

# range bounds supplied in web mercator coordinates
p = figure(x_range=(-2000000, 6000000), y_range=(-1000000, 7000000),
           x_axis_type="mercator", y_axis_type="mercator")
p.add_tile(tile_provider)

show(p)

Not AFAIK, but only because we didn’t know about it. Bokeh now offloads all tile provider configuration to xyzservices. So it’s possible that we could simply configure our usage of their API differently somehow, but it may also be the case that upstream changes to xyzservices itself will be required. I’d suggest making a Bokeh GitHub Issue to start a dev discussion.

1 Like