push_notebook stops working when chart is reset if CustomJS used to interact with kernel.

The attached notebook is a slightly modified version of the basic interactor demo that illustrates an odd behavior.

The interaction works just fine until you press reset on the line chart, then it stops updating in response to changes in widget values.

The only difference between this version and the standard one is that this one has a CustomJS callback that does a simple interaction with the ipython kernel. Without that callback pressing reset does not “break” the interaction via push_notebook.

interact_basic_test.ipynb (98 KB)

After a bit more testing with the included example. It appears what breaks things is asking for the selected indices in the CustomJS callback. If I comment out that line and then set foo to some hard coded value the interaction continues to work even after clicking the reset button. I realize that getting the selection doesn’t really make sense in this small example, however in my larger application it does. In that notebook I have a scatter plot that updates great until I do a box selection and then it stops responding, just like this little example.

···

On Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 11:07:50 AM UTC-7, Jim Sharpe wrote:

The attached notebook is a slightly modified version of the basic interactor demo that illustrates an odd behavior.

The interaction works just fine until you press reset on the line chart, then it stops updating in response to changes in widget values.

The only difference between this version and the standard one is that this one has a CustomJS callback that does a simple interaction with the ipython kernel. Without that callback pressing reset does not “break” the interaction via push_notebook.

One more piece of information. When this happens the error in the chrome javascript console says:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property ‘indices’ of undefined

Is there something about the chart that becomes undefined on a reset? Also I see the same behavior in my other application if I do something like a box zoom instead of a reset (although interestingly in this small example that doesn’t seem to cause the problem).

···

Jim,

There was a fix to reset tool that will be in the upcoming 0.11.1 that might be related. However, if the problem persists, it seems like it might be a bug. Can you make a GitHub issue with the notebook attached, so that it can be tracked better, if 0.11.1 does not resolve the issue?

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On Feb 2, 2016, at 3:56 PM, Jim Sharpe <[email protected]> wrote:

One more piece of information. When this happens the error in the chrome javascript console says:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'indices' of undefined

Is there something about the chart that becomes undefined on a reset? Also I see the same behavior in my other application if I do something like a box zoom instead of a reset (although interestingly in this small example that doesn't seem to cause the problem).

The only difference between this version and the standard one is that this one has a CustomJS callback that does a simple interaction with the ipython kernel. Without that callback pressing reset does not "break" the interaction via push_notebook.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/86d52342-de57-44b4-a836-461a899e2d65%40continuum.io\.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout\.

Will do. Thanks for looking.

···

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 8:44 AM, Bryan Van de Ven [email protected] wrote:

Jim,

There was a fix to reset tool that will be in the upcoming 0.11.1 that might be related. However, if the problem persists, it seems like it might be a bug. Can you make a GitHub issue with the notebook attached, so that it can be tracked better, if 0.11.1 does not resolve the issue?

Thanks,

Bryan

On Feb 2, 2016, at 3:56 PM, Jim Sharpe [email protected] wrote:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property ‘indices’ of undefined

Is there something about the chart that becomes undefined on a reset? Also I see the same behavior in my other application if I do something like a box zoom instead of a reset (although interestingly in this small example that doesn’t seem to cause the problem).

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/86d52342-de57-44b4-a836-461a899e2d65%40continuum.io.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/topic/bokeh/WTsHJh3JxEo/unsubscribe.

To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [email protected].

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/F9DE15D6-2080-4B84-8FF7-459C5043A022%40continuum.io.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout.

Jim Sharpe
[email protected] www.sharpe.com (970) 209-3810

Unfortunately it looks like v0.11.1 still has the issue so I’ve created issue #3837 and attached a sample notebook to it.