Question about ClientSession / pull_session documentation example

Hi All, I’m fumbling around here trying to get a webserver I can’t configure on nearlyfreespeech to work with websockets.

In the documetation for ClientSession, there is the following example block of script:

with pull_session(url=app_url) as session:
# customize session here
script = server_session(session_id=mysession.id, url=app_url)
return render_template(“embed.html”, script=script, template=“Flask”)

I’m confused as to where the object mysession is coming from, and why it’s different than the session variable set at the beginning of the block.

Cheers,

Dan

Hi,

I believe that it’s simply a typo. Please consider making a small PR to update the docs.

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On Jan 25, 2019, at 18:56, Dan Kovacek [email protected] wrote:

Hi All, I’m fumbling around here trying to get a webserver I can’t configure on nearlyfreespeech to work with websockets.

In the documetation for ClientSession, there is the following example block of script:

with pull_session(url=app_url) as session:
# customize session here
script = server_session(session_id=mysession.id, url=app_url)
return render_template(“embed.html”, script=script, template=“Flask”)

I’m confused as to where the object mysession is coming from, and why it’s different than the session variable set at the beginning of the block.

Cheers,

Dan

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

To post to this group, send email to [email protected].

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/0c69b7c8-4f98-49a7-ab02-3c4e19221dde%40continuum.io.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout.

Hi Bryan, excited to try making my first PR! I first looked at a few current PRs, then found a few tutorials on “PRs for n0000bs” or whatever the kids say these days. In the PULL_REQUEST_TEMPLATE.md document I see that all pull requests must have an associated issue, except if it’s a trivial fix or task, which a typo in documentation surely qualifies under. So I forked the repo, cloned my fork, and created a new branch. In one tutorial I found, I see I need to make a change to the source code, and then publish the branch, and then I guess the branch will appear in the dropdown in the first step of ‘create new pr’ process?

I looked around and couldn’t find anything in the file structure and guessed maybe it’s automated somehow. Then I entered the twilight zone of the documentation of the documentation. I followed the guide to create a new build, get sample data, etc., found the instructions for the ‘make’ command to build the html documentation. By this point I was feeling awesome about being well on my way to my first open source contribution. Then I hit the error below (from >make clean html) and realized out out of my league I am:

$ make clean html

rm -rf _build/*

rm -rf source/docs/gallery/*

sphinx-build -b html -d _build/doctrees source -W _build/html

Running Sphinx v1.8.2

making output directory…

loading intersphinx inventory from https://docs.python.org/objects.inv.

intersphinx inventory has moved: https://docs.python.org/objects.inv -> https://docs.python.org/3/objects.inv

loading intersphinx inventory from http://pandas.pydata.org/pandas-docs/stable/objects.inv.

loading intersphinx inventory from http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/objects.inv.

intersphinx inventory has moved: http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/objects.inv -> https://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/objects.inv

building [mo]: targets for 0 po files that are out of date

building [html]: targets for 382 source files that are out of date

updating environment: 382 added, 0 changed, 0 removed

copying bokeh-plot files… [100%] bokeh-plot-ff63b27561d549a085a68fc1448a4bb5.js

PlotScript error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/danbot/Documents/code/forks/bokeh/bokeh/application/handlers/code_runner.py”, line 179, in run
exec(self._code, module.dict)
File “/home/danbot/Documents/code/forks/bokeh/sphinx/source/docs/user_guide/examples/categorical_scatter_jitter.py”, line 4, in
from bokeh.sampledata.commits import data
File “/home/danbot/Documents/code/forks/bokeh/bokeh/sampledata/commits.py”, line 63, in
data = _read_data()
File “/home/danbot/Documents/code/forks/bokeh/bokeh/sampledata/commits.py”, line 55, in _read_data
data = data.tz_localize(‘GMT’).tz_convert(‘US/Central’)
File “/home/danbot/anaconda3/envs/bokeh-dev/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pandas/core/generic.py”, line 9397, in tz_localize
ax = _tz_localize(ax, tz, ambiguous, nonexistent)
File “/home/danbot/anaconda3/envs/bokeh-dev/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pandas/core/generic.py”, line 9377, in _tz_localize
‘PeriodIndex’ % ax_name)
TypeError: index is not a valid DatetimeIndex or PeriodIndex
make: *** [Makefile:32: html] Error 2

Cheers,

Dan

···

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 9:42 PM Bryan Van de ven [email protected] wrote:

Hi,

I believe that it’s simply a typo. Please consider making a small PR to update the docs.

Thanks,

Bryan

On Jan 25, 2019, at 18:56, Dan Kovacek [email protected] wrote:

Hi All, I’m fumbling around here trying to get a webserver I can’t configure on nearlyfreespeech to work with websockets.

In the documetation for ClientSession, there is the following example block of script:

with pull_session(url=app_url) as session:
# customize session here
script = server_session(session_id=mysession.id, url=app_url)
return render_template(“embed.html”, script=script, template=“Flask”)

I’m confused as to where the object mysession is coming from, and why it’s different than the session variable set at the beginning of the block.

Cheers,

Dan

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

To post to this group, send email to [email protected].

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/0c69b7c8-4f98-49a7-ab02-3c4e19221dde%40continuum.io.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

To post to this group, send email to [email protected].

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/EF6A3206-F722-4766-9EA7-3A41991FC7AC%40anaconda.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout.


Dan Kovacek
[email protected]

Hi Dan,

You are actually doing fantastic. The error at the bottom is actually due to a breaking change made in Pandas 0.24 which just came out last week. This typo fix is straightforward enough that I think you can just submit the PR and we can accept it by inspection.

Thanks,

Bryan

···

On Jan 26, 2019, at 02:10, Dan Kovacek [email protected] wrote:

Hi Bryan, excited to try making my first PR! I first looked at a few current PRs, then found a few tutorials on “PRs for n0000bs” or whatever the kids say these days. In the PULL_REQUEST_TEMPLATE.md document I see that all pull requests must have an associated issue, except if it’s a trivial fix or task, which a typo in documentation surely qualifies under. So I forked the repo, cloned my fork, and created a new branch. In one tutorial I found, I see I need to make a change to the source code, and then publish the branch, and then I guess the branch will appear in the dropdown in the first step of ‘create new pr’ process?

I looked around and couldn’t find anything in the file structure and guessed maybe it’s automated somehow. Then I entered the twilight zone of the documentation of the documentation. I followed the guide to create a new build, get sample data, etc., found the instructions for the ‘make’ command to build the html documentation. By this point I was feeling awesome about being well on my way to my first open source contribution. Then I hit the error below (from >make clean html) and realized out out of my league I am:

$ make clean html

rm -rf _build/*

rm -rf source/docs/gallery/*

sphinx-build -b html -d _build/doctrees source -W _build/html

Running Sphinx v1.8.2

making output directory…

loading intersphinx inventory from https://docs.python.org/objects.inv.

intersphinx inventory has moved: https://docs.python.org/objects.inv -> https://docs.python.org/3/objects.inv

loading intersphinx inventory from http://pandas.pydata.org/pandas-docs/stable/objects.inv.

loading intersphinx inventory from http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/objects.inv.

intersphinx inventory has moved: http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/objects.inv -> https://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/objects.inv

building [mo]: targets for 0 po files that are out of date

building [html]: targets for 382 source files that are out of date

updating environment: 382 added, 0 changed, 0 removed

copying bokeh-plot files… [100%] bokeh-plot-ff63b27561d549a085a68fc1448a4bb5.js

PlotScript error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/danbot/Documents/code/forks/bokeh/bokeh/application/handlers/code_runner.py”, line 179, in run
exec(self._code, module.dict)
File “/home/danbot/Documents/code/forks/bokeh/sphinx/source/docs/user_guide/examples/categorical_scatter_jitter.py”, line 4, in
from bokeh.sampledata.commits import data
File “/home/danbot/Documents/code/forks/bokeh/bokeh/sampledata/commits.py”, line 63, in
data = _read_data()
File “/home/danbot/Documents/code/forks/bokeh/bokeh/sampledata/commits.py”, line 55, in _read_data
data = data.tz_localize(‘GMT’).tz_convert(‘US/Central’)
File “/home/danbot/anaconda3/envs/bokeh-dev/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pandas/core/generic.py”, line 9397, in tz_localize
ax = _tz_localize(ax, tz, ambiguous, nonexistent)
File “/home/danbot/anaconda3/envs/bokeh-dev/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pandas/core/generic.py”, line 9377, in _tz_localize
‘PeriodIndex’ % ax_name)
TypeError: index is not a valid DatetimeIndex or PeriodIndex
make: *** [Makefile:32: html] Error 2

Cheers,

Dan

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 9:42 PM Bryan Van de ven [email protected] wrote:

Hi,

I believe that it’s simply a typo. Please consider making a small PR to update the docs.

Thanks,

Bryan

On Jan 25, 2019, at 18:56, Dan Kovacek [email protected] wrote:

Hi All, I’m fumbling around here trying to get a webserver I can’t configure on nearlyfreespeech to work with websockets.

In the documetation for ClientSession, there is the following example block of script:

with pull_session(url=app_url) as session:
# customize session here
script = server_session(session_id=mysession.id, url=app_url)
return render_template(“embed.html”, script=script, template=“Flask”)

I’m confused as to where the object mysession is coming from, and why it’s different than the session variable set at the beginning of the block.

Cheers,

Dan

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

To post to this group, send email to [email protected].

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/0c69b7c8-4f98-49a7-ab02-3c4e19221dde%40continuum.io.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

To post to this group, send email to [email protected].

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/EF6A3206-F722-4766-9EA7-3A41991FC7AC%40anaconda.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout.


Dan Kovacek
[email protected]

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

To post to this group, send email to [email protected].

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/CAHzmd5Hhx53ZU-sYnQ5B%2BkFb5ni9CrjbKuPShF53wvyzSyx%3Dtg%40mail.gmail.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout.