question on example

All,

I have recently started using bokeh and I wold like to do the following, I run the following code, which I have found in the example folder of the anaconda distribution.

Once the html file is displayed and I can move the slider, I would like to grab the current value where the slider is at and use it later in the code. At first, I thought to use a parser like pyquery, but as I looked at the source file of the html file, I couldn’t really figure out how to do that. Is there a way I can do that, that is, is there a simple way I can grab the value the slider sits at and feed it back to my python code ?

Thanks for any help,

Giuseppe

from bokeh.io import vform
from bokeh.models import ColumnDataSource, Slider

from bokeh.plotting import figure, output_file, show

from bokeh.models.actions import Callback

import os

import json

os.chdir(“c:\anaconda\rfpack\sipi\primitive”)

output_file(“callback.html”)

x = [x*0.005 for x in range(0, 200)]

y = x

source = ColumnDataSource(data=dict(x=x, y=y))

plot = figure(plot_width=400, plot_height=400)

plot.line(‘x’, ‘y’, source=source, line_width=3, line_alpha=0.6)

callback = Callback(args=dict(source=source), code="""

var data = source.get(‘data’);

var f = cb_obj.get(‘value’)

x = data[‘x’]

y = data[‘y’]

for (i = 0; i < x.length; i++) {

y[i] = Math.pow(x[i], f)

}

source.trigger(‘change’);

“”")

slider = Slider(start=0.1, end=4, value=1, step=.1, title=“power”, callback=callback)

layout = vform(slider, plot)

show(layout)

Hi,

···

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 12:15 AM, giuseppe selli [email protected] wrote:

All,

I have recently started using bokeh and I wold like to do the following, I run the following code, which I have found in the example folder of the anaconda distribution.

Once the html file is displayed and I can move the slider, I would like to grab the current value where the slider is at and use it later in the code. At first, I thought to use a parser like pyquery, but as I looked at the source file of the html file, I couldn’t really figure out how to do that. Is there a way I can do that, that is, is there a simple way I can grab the value the slider sits at and feed it back to my python code ?

This isn’t going to work, because you have a static HTML file and the state of the slider is inside a web browser and never reflected back to the HTML file. What you should be doing is to use bokeh-server. This way you will be able to communicate with the web browser bidirectionally (via web sockets). You should look into glyphs/taylor_server.py example (located in the same examples/ directory), which, besides other things, shows how to react to slider changes. In this particular example slider is used to determine the degree of the approximating polynomial and the plot showing the function and it’s approximation is updated accordingly.

Another option is to use IPython notebook, but as far I can tell, it sill has to run bokeh-server behind the scenes, which isn’t very convenient. I think this kind of interactions using only an IPython kernel connected to a notebook is to be implemented in future. Other bokeh developers may prove me being wrong here and/or direct you to some discussions/documentation on the subject.

Mateusz

Thanks for any help,

Giuseppe

import os

import json

y = x

callback = Callback(args=dict(source=source), code=“”"

x = data[‘x’]

y = data[‘y’]

y[i] = Math.pow(x[i], f)

}

“”")

slider = Slider(start=0.1, end=4, value=1, step=.1, title=“power”, callback=callback)

show(layout)

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

To post to this group, send email to [email protected].

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/CAJGe8zYnat_DuF9MaSsxxQna_4-Yc4M%3Dsr%2BzOO_FGJFFfR-%2Bww%40mail.gmail.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout.

Ok…thanks…that makes sense

Giuseppe

···

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 7:01 AM, Mateusz Paprocki [email protected] wrote:

Hi,

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/CANFzp8h-kJiA-s9mkU9d9oqc%2BNTzChHCD8nNLu6uKAcZPbviWQ%40mail.gmail.com.

All,

This isn’t going to work, because you have a static HTML file and the state of the slider is inside a web browser and never reflected back to the HTML file. What you should be doing is to use bokeh-server. This way you will be able to communicate with the web browser bidirectionally (via web sockets). You should look into glyphs/taylor_server.py example (located in the same examples/ directory), which, besides other things, shows how to react to slider changes. In this particular example slider is used to determine the degree of the approximating polynomial and the plot showing the function and it’s approximation is updated accordingly.

Another option is to use IPython notebook, but as far I can tell, it sill has to run bokeh-server behind the scenes, which isn’t very convenient. I think this kind of interactions using only an IPython kernel connected to a notebook is to be implemented in future. Other bokeh developers may prove me being wrong here and/or direct you to some discussions/documentation on the subject.

Mateusz

Thanks for any help,

Giuseppe

import os

import json

y = x

x = data[‘x’]

y = data[‘y’]

y[i] = Math.pow(x[i], f)

}

“”")

show(layout)

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/CAJGe8zYnat_DuF9MaSsxxQna_4-Yc4M%3Dsr%2BzOO_FGJFFfR-%2Bww%40mail.gmail.com.

With the IPython notenook, you can run the slider and make the update on the BokehJS side without involving the bokeh server… here you have one example: https://github.com/bokeh/bokeh/blob/master/examples/plotting/notebook/interact_basic.ipynb

You will need to use interactive instead of interact to get the values from the slider…

Also, we need to mentions that if you have to make a lot of updates, the example in the notebook has some limitations… but there is some people trying to use the lower IPython machinery (comm) to avoid some of this problems… still, it is experimental for now…

···

Hi,

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/CANFzp8h-kJiA-s9mkU9d9oqc%2BNTzChHCD8nNLu6uKAcZPbviWQ%40mail.gmail.com.

All,

Mateusz

Thanks for any help,

Giuseppe

import os

import json

y = x

x = data[‘x’]

y = data[‘y’]

y[i] = Math.pow(x[i], f)

}

“”")

show(layout)

Hi,

@giuseppe, were you able to capture the slider value?

I wasn’t able to capture the properties of a rectangle placed by this example. In my case, the push_notebook() method erase the rectangles instead of capturing the data. I also noticed that in the example pointed by @damian, source.data retains the value provided from ipython while in my case source.data is a dictionary with an empty list in each key. Are the values of the source erased at some point? Can we capture them from IPython?

···

On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 2:53:14 AM UTC+3, Damian Avila wrote:

With the IPython notenook, you can run the slider and make the update on the BokehJS side without involving the bokeh server… here you have one example: https://github.com/bokeh/bokeh/blob/master/examples/plotting/notebook/interact_basic.ipynb

You will need to use interactive instead of interact to get the values from the slider…

Also, we need to mentions that if you have to make a lot of updates, the example in the notebook has some limitations… but there is some people trying to use the lower IPython machinery (comm) to avoid some of this problems… still, it is experimental for now…

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 1:41 PM giuseppe selli [email protected] wrote:

Giuseppe

Hi,

All,

Mateusz

Thanks for any help,

Giuseppe

import os

import json

y = x

x = data[‘x’]

y = data[‘y’]

y[i] = Math.pow(x[i], f)

}

“”")

show(layout)

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/CAJGe8zZxNe2_ugyLiEt_yRtdC5YRjQhweCtTfcNhPEOLTv_uyA%40mail.gmail.com.

In case someone is hurry and needs a hack. I posted a gist to get interactions back in ipython.

Description (to save you clicks and time): I used a JS-callback and open an ipython-kernel to pass the variables updated by JS.

@Damian, Do you know a more elegant way to do this? Could you comment about the weakness of this hack?

···

On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 1:30:55 AM UTC+3, [email protected] wrote:

Hi,

@giuseppe, were you able to capture the slider value?

I wasn’t able to capture the properties of a rectangle placed by this example. In my case, the push_notebook() method erase the rectangles instead of capturing the data. I also noticed that in the example pointed by @damian, source.data retains the value provided from ipython while in my case source.data is a dictionary with an empty list in each key. Are the values of the source erased at some point? Can we capture them from IPython?

On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 2:53:14 AM UTC+3, Damian Avila wrote:

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 1:41 PM giuseppe selli [email protected] wrote:

Giuseppe

Hi,

All,

Mateusz

Thanks for any help,

Giuseppe

import os

import json

y = x

x = data[‘x’]

y = data[‘y’]

y[i] = Math.pow(x[i], f)

}

“”")

show(layout)

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/CAJGe8zZxNe2_ugyLiEt_yRtdC5YRjQhweCtTfcNhPEOLTv_uyA%40mail.gmail.com.