Should I wait for the updated Bokeh server architecture? What is the timeline?

Hello everyone,

I am relatively new to the OSS world, these may seem like dumb questions…

Yesterday an email on this list mentioned an upcoming pull request would completely overhaul the bokeh server architecture. Is there a way to start working with these changes now?

I have been fighting a CORS problem that has left the plotting function of my app dead in the water. Several SO questions and a few emails on this list have lead nowhere. I still am unable to get any sort of plotting to work on a “real” server (anything not on my development machine).

With the mention that the server is being overhauled, I don’t want to spend any more time fighting this problem if it will be irrelevant soon.

Concerning contributing: The “contributing” section of the bokeh site doesn’t specifically mention how a Python dev can contribute. I am pretty strong in Python, but not javascript. Nor have I ever been involved in an OSS project. I would love to contribute to bokeh, but would appreciate some guidance on how to get started.

Thanks!

Brian L

Hi Brian,

Our plan is to merge the preliminary PR for the new server to master in the next few days and get a dev build out ASAP next week to start soliciting feedback. This is a very large PR that touches many aspects of the library, so I expect there to be some bumps. We want to smooth those out as best as possible before the 0.11 release, which will probably be in the second half of November. If that schedule is something you can accommodate, I would absolutely suggest waiting. It's already faster and simpler to use.

Regarding the CORS problem, I feel bad that we have not been able to get you an answer. It's actually just not an area I have much expertise in. We will make sure to give good guidance or resolve any issues around CORS with the new server before the 0.11 release, however.

Finally, we'd love to have your help! In the short term, the best help is probably just to try out the dev build next week, and help provide early feedback. We'll send out an email to this list when it is ready. Beyond that, the first steps are just getting a dev environment set up. You can find some instructions here:

http://bokeh.pydata.org/en/latest/docs/dev_guide/building.html

Then maybe next week (I am traveling right now) we can see where your experience might plug in best?

Thanks for all the feedback and reports,

Bryan

···

On Oct 30, 2015, at 10:56 AM, Brian Leach <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am relatively new to the OSS world, these may seem like dumb questions..

Yesterday an email on this list mentioned an upcoming pull request would completely overhaul the bokeh server architecture. Is there a way to start working with these changes now?

I have been fighting a CORS problem that has left the plotting function of my app dead in the water. Several SO questions and a few emails on this list have lead nowhere. I still am unable to get any sort of plotting to work on a "real" server (anything not on my development machine).

With the mention that the server is being overhauled, I don't want to spend any more time fighting this problem if it will be irrelevant soon.

Concerning contributing: The "contributing" section of the bokeh site doesn't specifically mention how a Python dev can contribute. I am pretty strong in Python, but not javascript. Nor have I ever been involved in an OSS project. I would love to contribute to bokeh, but would appreciate some guidance on how to get started.

Thanks!

Brian L

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/CAPHP2gQ4Suk0gh-BeuEHW4--UmRB3b7g7aXaE%3D1CCRtZSjX-uQ%40mail.gmail.com\.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout\.