Unable to add tooltips

I am trying to add tooltips to my plot which has 3 concentrations of A, B and C changing over time. Following the guide.

source = ColumnDataSource(data=dict(vec_time=vec_time, int_vec_A=int_vec_A, int_vec_B=int_vec_B, int_vec_C=int_vec_C))

TOOLTIPS = [("Time(s)","$vec_time"), ("A","$int_vec_A"), ("B","$int_vec_B"), ("C","$int_vec_C")]

plot = figure(plot_height=600, plot_width=800, tools=TOOLS, tooltips=TOOLTIPS,
              title="Example: Sequential reactions with A --> B --> C, starting with [A]_0 = 1.0", x_range=[t_start, t_end], y_range=[-0.05, 1.05])

with more source code below and complete source code can be found at Github Link. The output of the interactive plot can be found here: Sequential_Reactions .

I am unable to generate any tooltips for this plot. I did recreate in other plots. For example, in sliders.py and other time series plots:

Not sure what I am doing wrong, any pointers appreciated.

# Solve ODE
vec_conc_t = odeint(dconc_dt, vec_conc_t0, vec_time, args=(params,))
int_vec_A = vec_conc_t[:,0]
int_vec_B = vec_conc_t[:,1]
int_vec_C = vec_conc_t[:,2]
source = ColumnDataSource(data=dict(vec_time=vec_time, int_vec_A=int_vec_A, int_vec_B=int_vec_B, int_vec_C=int_vec_C))
# Set up plot
TOOLTIPS = [("Time(s)","$vec_time"), ("A","$int_vec_A"), ("B","$int_vec_B"), ("C","$int_vec_C")]
TOOLS = "pan,undo,redo,reset,save,wheel_zoom,box_zoom"
plot = figure(plot_height=600, plot_width=800, tools=TOOLS, tooltips=TOOLTIPS,
              title="Example: Sequential reactions with A --> B --> C, starting with [A]_0 = 1.0", x_range=[t_start, t_end], y_range=[-0.05, 1.05])
plot.cross('vec_time', 'int_vec_A', source=source, size=8, alpha=0.6, color="navy", legend_label="A Concentration")
plot.line('vec_time', 'int_vec_B', source=source, line_width=3, line_alpha=0.6, line_color="navy", legend_label="B Concentration")
plot.circle('vec_time', 'int_vec_C', source=source, size=5, alpha=0.6, line_color="navy", legend_label="C Concentration")

Hi @swamilikes2code please edit your post to use code formatting so that the code is intelligible (either with the </> icon on the editing toolbar, or triple backtick ``` fences around the code blocks)

Thank you Bryan for pointing this out. I have updated my original post.

If you load your plots, open JavaScript console in the browser’s DevTools, and try to hover over something, you will see errors like Unknown special variable '$int_vec_A'.

Try replacing $ in your tooltips with @.

Thank you for your help and it works now. Will debug via JavaScript console for next time as I wasn’t aware of that.

Also, it is clearly mentioned in the User Guide and I missed it. Sorry about that.

Blockquote Field names that begin with @ are associated with columns in a ColumnDataSource . For instance the field name "@price" will display values from the "price" column whenever a hover is triggered. If the hover is for the 17th glyph, then the hover tooltip will correspondingly display the 17th price value.

1 Like