websocket setup so long

Hi guys,

I create an embedded bokeh server Flask app, and run it locally. There is a wired problem: after loading document(5.85s, OK), wsSocket takes around 20s to finish just 16.78 KB transfered as screenshot shown below.

I mean 20 seconds is so long for launching entire website. Flask responses pretty fast. I have no idea about this issue. Any clues or hints are definitely appreciated.

2018-09-04_14-44-23.png

Hi,

The only time I have seen a delay like this, it is due to the app code doing lots of work. Is your script or main.py (which is run on every connection) doing 20 seconds of blocking work?

Bryan

···

On Sep 4, 2018, at 13:55, peng wang <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi guys,

I create an embedded bokeh server Flask app, and run it locally. There is a wired problem: after loading document(5.85s, OK), wsSocket takes around 20s to finish just 16.78 KB transfered as screenshot shown below.
I mean 20 seconds is so long for launching entire website. Flask responses pretty fast. I have no idea about this issue. Any clues or hints are definitely appreciated.

<2018-09-04_14-44-23.png>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/1949bace-b4ee-4dc4-84f7-5eda230025f2%40continuum.io\.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout\.

Thanks for response.

Yes, in my main.py, I launch several threads and do all jobs in it. but, I use timeit to measure the speed, like this:

start_time = timeit.default_timer()

// TODO

//my func()

print(“\n main chart loading time \n”)

print(timeit.default_timer() - start_time_main_chart)

the entire main.py just take 3.44s as screenshot shown below. and then in console, “websocket connection 0 is open” appears, after this, a long time to wait for entire website shown.

If what you said is right, that is, too much thing is done in main.py, what I can do for improving the performance? I already use multithreads to handle multiplots.

Thanks a lot.

···

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 2:58:52 PM UTC-6, Bryan Van de ven wrote:

Hi,

The only time I have seen a delay like this, it is due to the app code doing lots of work. Is your script or main.py (which is run on every connection) doing 20 seconds of blocking work?

Bryan

On Sep 4, 2018, at 13:55, peng wang [email protected] wrote:

Hi guys,

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/1949bace-b4ee-4dc4-84f7-5eda230025f2%40continuum.io.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout.

by the way, is datashader good option? thanks

···

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 2:58 PM Bryan Van de ven [email protected] wrote:

Hi,

Bryan

Hi guys,

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Bokeh Discussion - Public” group.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/1949bace-b4ee-4dc4-84f7-5eda230025f2%40continuum.io.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/963E9AED-A6E0-45D9-9222-87DE716CF087%40anaconda.com.

Would you please let me know if it is a bottleneck, if I have to do lots of works in app code. thanks

···

Hi,

Bryan

Hi guys,

I'm sorry, I can't really say anything more specific without a complete example to run, and then only if it is a very minimal one that I can investigate fairly quickly. I haven't seen what you have described, except in cases where the app code itself is executing long-running blocking code on session start up.

If there is expensive work that only needs to be done once can be pre-computed and shared across sessions, you can look at doing it in one of the lifecycle hooks, instead of repeating the work on every session.

Bryan

···

On Sep 5, 2018, at 08:01, peng wang <[email protected]> wrote:

Would you please let me know if it is a bottleneck, if I have to do lots of works in app code. thanks

Hi,

Bryan

> On Sep 4, 2018, at 13:55, peng wang <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Hi guys,
>
> I create an embedded bokeh server Flask app, and run it locally. There is a wired problem: after loading document(5.85s, OK), wsSocket takes around 20s to finish just 16.78 KB transfered as screenshot shown below.
> I mean 20 seconds is so long for launching entire website. Flask responses pretty fast. I have no idea about this issue. Any clues or hints are definitely appreciated.
>
>
>
>
> <2018-09-04_14-44-23.png>
>
>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to bokeh+un...@continuum.io.
> To post to this group, send email to bo...@continuum.io.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/1949bace-b4ee-4dc4-84f7-5eda230025f2%40continuum.io\.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout\.
> <2018-09-04_14-44-23.png>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bokeh Discussion - Public" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/bokeh/75e2efe4-9ef5-4ca5-a895-545b0fa4aaa7%40continuum.io\.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/optout\.

I tweak on what you advised. Some crucial questions appear in my mind.

My web application(Flask + Bokeh + Apache) tries to plot some charts on each tab as screenshot shown below.

In my main.py, not too much things need to be done

from DataVisualizationWebApp import app, views

from threading import Thread

import socket

from DataVisualizationWebApp import bk_plotter as bk_plter

import queue

import threading

from DataVisualizationWebApp import import_data

from cheroot.wsgi import Server as WSGIServer

from bokeh.settings import settings as settingManger

#from bokeh.application.handlers.server_lifecycle import ServerLifecycleHandler

settingManger.log_level(“debug”)

bokeh_thread = Thread(name=‘Bokeh_Server’, target=views.bk_worker)

bokeh_thread.start()

que = queue.Queue()

database_thread = Thread(name=‘Database_Server’, target = lambda q, arg1: q.put(import_data.import_all_data(arg1)), args = (que, ‘’))

database_thread.start()

bk_plter.all_connection_dict, bk_plter.novos_connection_dict, \

bk_plter.all_connection_table, bk_plter.novos_connection_table, \

bk_plter.novos_source, bk_plter.rigs_list, \

bk_plter.jobs_list, bk_plter.crewshift_list = que.get()

if name == ‘main’:

server = WSGIServer(bind_addr=('127.0.0.1', 8011), wsgi_app=app, numthreads=10)

try:

server.start()

except KeyboardInterrupt:

server.stop()

``

But in my bk_plotter.py which is invoked in view.py like this

#view.py
def bk_worker():

Can’t pass num_procs > 1 in this configuration. If you need to run multiple

processes, see e.g. flask_gunicorn_embed.py

start_time_server = timeit.default_timer()

server = Server({‘/bk_plotter’: bk_plter.plot_doc}, io_loop=IOLoop(), allow_websocket_origin=[“localhost:8011”], websocket_max_message_size = 9999999999 * 1024 * 1024)

server.start()

server.io_loop.start()

print(“\nserver loading time \n”)

print(timeit.default_timer() - start_time_server)

``

I believe that all charts belongs to and shown on each tab should be done in bk_plotter.py.(Bokeh Server) For example, all figures and DataColumnSources should be created in this file. the reason is sample, because the document should be created as the following screenshot shown(https://bokeh.pydata.org/en/latest/docs/user_guide/server.html)

The worst thing is that launching website time takes so long or may be longer if too much things is done in this file.

if I just have one plot in this file, the launching web time is fast based on my tests. I just wonder if this is a Bokeh bottleneck, or I did something wrong.

By the way, just launching time is so long, after website is launched, to manipulate charts or plots, responding time is pretty fast.

any comments are highly appreciated.

Thanks

bk_plotter.py

def plot_doc(doc):

def get_data(all_connection_dict, rig = -1, job = -1):

pass

def update(all_connection_dict, rig = -1, job = -1, selected = None):

pass

def update_combBx_values(val, lst, columnName = ''):

pass

@gen.coroutine

def update_1st_chart(selected_rig, selected_job):

pass

@gen.coroutine

def update_2nd_chart(selected_rig, selected_job):

pass

@gen.coroutine

def update_main_plot(selected_rig, \

selected_job, \

from_comboBx_group, \

checkbox_group_1_selections = [],\

checkbox_group_2_selections = [], \

checkbox_group_3_selections = []):

pass

def rigs_combx_change(attrname, old, new):

pass

def jobs_combx_change(attrname, old, new):

pass

def crewshift_combx_change(attrname, old, new):

pass

#crewshift_combx.options = update_combBx_values(new, rig_number_list, 'Crewshift')

def get_default_value(all_connection_table, comboBx, selectedRig = '', selectedJob = ''):

pass

# 1st chart

update_drillingconn_wellsect_queue = queue.Queue()

update_drillingconn_wellsect_event = threading.Event()

update_drillingconn_wellsect_thread = Thread(name='update_drillingconn_wellsect_thread', \

target =  lambda q, arg1, arg2, arg3, arg4: \

q.put(drillingconn_wellsect_plot.update_well_selection_data(arg1, arg2, arg3, arg4)), \

args = (update_drillingconn_wellsect_queue, \

update_drillingconn_wellsect_event, \

all_connection_dict, rig, job))

update_drillingconn_wellsect_thread.start()

update_drillingconn_wellsect_event.wait()

well_connection_colors, x, well_connnection_counts, well_connnection_data = update_drillingconn_wellsect_queue.get()

well_connnection_source = ColumnDataSource(data=dict(colors=well_connection_colors, x = x, counts=well_connnection_counts))

#WebGL is a JavaScript API that allows rendering content in the browser via the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU)

well_connection_chart = figure(x_range=FactorRange(*x), \

plot_width = 1600, plot_height = 300, \

sizing_mode='scale_both', \

title="Drilling Connection Breakdown By Well Section", \

output_backend="webgl")

well_connection_textbox_source = ColumnDataSource(data=dict(x = [600,], y = [150,],  txt= ['Total Connections: %d' % (total_connections),]))

well_connection_chart_textbox = LabelSet(x='x', y='y', x_units='screen', y_units='screen', \

text='txt', source = well_connection_textbox_source,\

text_font_size="12pt", border_line_color='black', \

border_line_width=1, text_font_style='bold')

well_connection_chart.add_layout(well_connection_chart_textbox)

get_all_data_queue = queue.Queue()

get_all_data_event = threading.Event()

get_all_data_thread = threading.Thread(name='get_all_data_thread', target =  lambda q, arg1, arg2: q.put(all_main_plot.get_all_data(arg1, arg2)), args = (get_all_data_queue, get_all_data_event, all_connection_dict))

get_all_data_thread.start()    

get_all_data_event.wait()

mainplot_data_all, depth_list_all = get_all_data_queue.get()

depth_list_all = [str(x) for x in depth_list_all]

main_plot = figure(x_range=FactorRange(), y_range = (0, 50), \

plot_width = 1600, plot_height = 400, \

tools = "tap, pan, box_zoom, wheel_zoom, reset", \

sizing_mode='scale_width', \

title="Overall Connection Times",

output_backend="webgl")

main_plot.x_range.factors = depth_list_all

mainplot_data_all['HoleDepth'] = ["{0:.2f}".format(x) for x in mainplot_data_all['HoleDepth']]

mainplot_source = ColumnDataSource(data=dict(HoleDepth = mainplot_data_all['HoleDepth'], 

VBarTop = mainplot_data_all['VBarTop'], 

VBarBottom = mainplot_data_all['VBarBottom'], 

VBarColors = mainplot_data_all['VBarColors'], 

VBarType = mainplot_data_all['VBarType'])) 

main_plot.vbar(x = 'HoleDepth', width = 0.1, bottom = 'VBarBottom', top = 'VBarTop', color = 'VBarColors', source = mainplot_source, legend = 'VBarType')

main_plot.legend.location = "top_right"

main_plot.legend.orientation = "vertical"

new_legend = main_plot.legend[0]

main_plot.legend[0].plot = None

main_plot.add_layout(new_legend, 'right')

main_plot.js_on_event(events.Reset, ticker_cb_reset)

checkbox_group_1_selections = []

checkbox_group_2_selections = []

checkbox_group_3_selections = []

def checkbox_callback_1(attr, old, new):

pass

def checkbox_callback_2(attr, old, new):

pass

def checkbox_callback_3(attr, old, new):    

pass

checkbox_group_1.on_change('active', checkbox_callback_1)

checkbox_group_2.on_change('active', checkbox_callback_2)

checkbox_group_3.on_change('active', checkbox_callback_3)   

from_comboBx_group = False    

update_main_plot_queue = queue.Queue()

update_main_plot_event = threading.Event()

update_main_plot_thread = Thread(name='update_main_plot_thread', \

target =  lambda q, arg1, arg2, arg3, arg4, arg5, arg6, arg7, arg8, arg9, arg10, arg11, arg12: q.put(all_main_plot.update_main_plot_chart(arg1, arg2, arg3, arg4, arg5, arg6, arg7, arg8, arg9, arg10, arg11, arg12)), \

args = (update_main_plot_queue, \

doc, \

update_main_plot_event, \

mainplot_source, \

main_plot, \

mainplot_data_all, \

checkbox_group_1_selections, \

checkbox_group_2_selections,\

checkbox_group_3_selections, \

all_connection_dict,\

rig, \

job, \

from_comboBx_group))

update_main_plot_thread.start()

update_main_plot_event.set()

#sub_plot

#sub_plot, subplot_source, subplot_dict = sub_novos_plot.create_sub_plot(doc)

subplot_dict = {}     

subplot_source = ColumnDataSource(data=subplot_dict)

# 3. plot     

sub_plot = figure(x_range = [0, 60], y_range = [0, 30], \

plot_width=1540, plot_height= 350, \

toolbar_location=None, \

sizing_mode='scale_both', \

output_backend="webgl")

drillingConnectionBreakdown_layout = layout(column(sub_plot))   

tabMain = Panel(title='Main', child=drillingConnectionBreakdown_layout)

tabMain.tags=["MainTag"]

tabMain.name="MainName"

p1 = figure(plot_width=1200, plot_height=300, output_backend="webgl")

#may be big dataColumnSource in future

tabActivitytypeStats = Panel(title='Activity type Stats', child=right_layout)

tabActivitytypeStats = Panel(child=p1, title='Activity type Stats')

tabActivitytypeStats.tags=["activitytypestatsTag"]

tabActivitytypeStats.name="ActivitytypeStatsName"

p2 = figure(plot_width=1200, plot_height=300, output_backend="webgl")

#may be big dataset in future

p2.line([1, 2, 3, 4, 5], [6, 7, 2, 4, 5], line_width=3, color="navy", alpha=0.5)

#tabOverConnectionAnalysis = Panel(child=None, title="Over Connection Analysis")

tabOverConnectionAnalysis = Panel(child=p2, title="Over Connection Analysis")

tabOverConnectionAnalysis.name="OverConnectionAnalysisName"

tabOverConnectionAnalysis.tags=["OverConnectionAnalysisTag"]

p3 = figure(plot_width=1200, plot_height=300, output_backend="webgl")

# may be big dataset in future

p3.line([1, 2, 3, 4, 5], [16, 17, 12, 10, 18], line_width=3, color="red", alpha=0.5)

#tabNovosConfigConnectionAnalysis = Panel(child=None, title="Novos Config Connection Analysis")

tabNovosConfigConnectionAnalysis = Panel(child=p3, title="Novos Config Connection Analysis")

tabNovosConfigConnectionAnalysis.name="NovosConfigConnectionAnalysisName"

tabNovosConfigConnectionAnalysis.tags=["NovosConfigConnectionAnalysisTag"]

p4 = figure(plot_width=1200, plot_height=300, output_backend="webgl")

p4.line([1, 2, 3, 4, 5], [16, 17, 12, 10, 18], line_width=3, color="purple", alpha=0.5)

#tabContinuousInDepth = Panel(child=None, title="Continuous in Depth")

tabContinuousInDepth = Panel(child=p4, title="Continuous in Depth")

tabContinuousInDepth.name="ContinuousinDepthName"

tabContinuousInDepth.tags=["ContinuousinDepthTag"]

p5 = figure(plot_width=1200, plot_height=300, output_backend="webgl")

p5.line([1, 2, 3, 4, 5], [16, 17, 12, 10, 18], line_width=3, color="grey", alpha=0.5)

#tabDrillervsNovos = Panel(child=None, title="Driller vs Novos")

tabDrillervsNovos = Panel(child=p5, title="Driller vs Novos")

tabDrillervsNovos.name="DrillervsNovosName"

tabDrillervsNovos.tags=["DrillervsNovosTag"]

p6 = figure(plot_width=1200, plot_height=300, output_backend="webgl")

p6.line([1, 2, 3, 4, 5], [16, 17, 12, 10, 18], line_width=3, color="orange", alpha=0.5)

#tabDistributioncharts = Panel(child=None, title="Distribution charts")

tabDistributioncharts = Panel(child=p6, title="Distribution charts")

tabDistributioncharts.name="DistributionchartsName"

tabDistributioncharts.tags=["DistributionchartsTag"]

p7 = figure(plot_width=1200, plot_height=300, output_backend="webgl")

p7.line([1, 2, 3, 4, 5], [16, 17, 12, 10, 18], line_width=3, color="black", alpha=0.5)

tabDuplicateofContinuousinDepth = Panel(child=p7, title="Duplicate of Continuous in Depth")

#tabDuplicateofContinuousinDepth = Panel(child=None, title="Duplicate of Continuous in Depth")

tabDuplicateofContinuousinDepth.name="DuplicateofContinuousinDepthName"

tabDuplicateofContinuousinDepth.tags=["DuplicateofContinuousinDepthTag"]

tabs = Tabs(tabs=[tabMain, tabActivitytypeStats, tabOverConnectionAnalysis, tabNovosConfigConnectionAnalysis, \

tabContinuousInDepth, tabDrillervsNovos, tabDistributioncharts, tabDuplicateofContinuousinDepth])

tabs.css_classes = ["tabsbackgroundcolorblack"]

spacer_3 = Spacer(width=120, height=350)    

main_row = row(tabs)

main_row.css_classes = ["mainrowlayout"] 

main_layout = layout(main_row, sizing_mode=sizing_mode)

main_layout.css_classes = ["mainlayout"] 

doc.add_root(main_layout)

doc.theme = Theme(filename="theme.yaml") 

``

···

Hi,

Bryan

Hi guys,