DataTable gets invisible when layout updated

I am programming an app in which several tables are displayed. Depending on user interaction, new tables can be appended to or removed from the layout.

When I override the children of my layout containing a DataTable, the DataTable disappears, or rather gets invisible, since the space of the DataTable is still hold in the app.

Here is a minimal working example:

import bokeh.layouts
from bokeh.plotting import show, curdoc
from bokeh.models import ColumnDataSource, DataTable, TableColumn, Button, Div

button = Button(label="Click")

columns = [
        TableColumn(field="x", title="X"),
        TableColumn(field="y", title="Y"),
    ]

data1 = dict(
        x=[1, 2, 3],
        y=[11, 12, 13],
    )

data2 = dict(
    x=[7, 8],
    y=[10, 11],
)

data_table1 = DataTable(source=ColumnDataSource(data1), columns=columns, height=120)
data_table2 = DataTable(source=ColumnDataSource(data2), columns=columns, height=120)

def update_layout1(): # Less invasive alternative, leads to collapsed columns.
    new_children = [
        data_table1,
        Div(text="""<hr width="800px;">"""),
        data_table2,
    ]
    my_layout.children[1].children = new_children

def update_layout2(): # More invasive alternative, leads to invisible DataTables
    col_layout = bokeh.layouts.column(children=[
        data_table1,
        data_table2,
    ])
    my_layout.children[1] = col_layout

button.on_click(update_layout2) # <- Switch between update_layout1 and update_layout2

col_layout = bokeh.layouts.column(children=[
    data_table1,
    Div(text="""<hr width="800px;">""")
])

my_layout = bokeh.layouts.column(
    button,
    col_layout,
)

curdoc().add_root(my_layout)

Before pressing the button:

After pressing the button:

Did I update the layout in an unforeseen way?
Is this a bug?
Can you propose other workarounds?

Since I do not know from the beginning how many tables will be used and since I want to be as flexible as possible, I would like to avoid defining a given number of tables from the beginning and just using their visible property to show them or not.

I also tried not overriding the children but just updating them, but then I run in the problem that the columns collapse to the left, see my other topic on this topic:
https://discourse.bokeh.org/t/datatable-columns-collapse-when-layout-updated/10811

This problem seems to be the same as described in this bug report:

Python version: 3.11.5
Bokeh verison: 3.2.2
Bokeh server version: 3.2.2
Tornado version: 6.3.3
Running on Windows 10
Python installation from conda-forge
I observe the problem starting from terminal as well as in JupyterLab 4.0.5 using bokeh.io.output_notebook()

cc @mateusz seems like a bug, in which case a Github issue would be appropriate (with full details, but please do a quick check for any existing issues).

Following issue describes a very similar behavior, potentially with the same root cause:

I tested my code with bokeh 3.4.0.dev1, the issue of the disappearing tables is solved!
After clicking:

Thanks a lot!
Only the issue of collapsed columns is still there, but the resolution is ongoing:

FYI 3.4.0dev1 is an initial placeholder build for the 3.4 branch, it should be identical to (actually released) version 3.3

I still observe a difference:

• Fresh Python environment, then only Bokeh 3.3.0 installed → the described display problem occurs

• Fresh Python environment, then only Bokeh 3.4.0.dev1 installed → the described display problem doesn’t occur anymore

But whatever. The problem is solved for the next release, this is what counts.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.