How to change font_name and font_size of labels of the checkboxgroup widget

Hi,

I would like to change the font_name and font_size of the labels for my checkboxgroup widgets. I know we can change the size(height/width) of the widget but it does not affect the label size.

Below is a simple example.

from bokeh.plotting import output_file, show
from bokeh.models.widgets import CheckboxGroup
from bokeh.layouts import layout

checkbox_group1 = CheckboxGroup(labels=['Yandi'], active=[], background='red', margin=(0, 0, 2, 0), height=15, max_width=80)
checkbox_group2 = CheckboxGroup(labels=['Tom Price'], active=[], background='blue', margin=(0, 0, 2, 0))
checkbox_group3 = CheckboxGroup(labels=['Hope Downs 1'], active=[], background='green', margin=(0, 0, 2, 0))

l = layout([
    [[checkbox_group1, checkbox_group2, checkbox_group3]],
])

output_file("checkbox_groups.html", title="checkbox groups", mode='inline')
show(l)

Is it possible to change the size and font of the labels?

Thanks

There is not currently and API to control this. The only means would be to target CSS. You can add CSS classes to the widgets setting the css_classes property on them, then using CSS rules to change the appearance. You could provide a custom output template with your stylesheet to use with file_html or alternatively you should be able to set the css_raw property of the BokehJS resources you are using (inline or cdn) to add CSS rules.

Edit: here is a concrete example of employing css_classes:

Hi Brian,

I ran the example above but I am not sure what the output should be. I get the following output:

I am assuming that the texts should have border and colours. Is that right?
Have you got a screenshot of the output?
I am using Bokeh 2.3.1 and the browser is Microsoft Edge.

Hi Brian,

Did you see my comment above?

Thanks
Gilles

@Gilles When I run the example on OSX it looks like this:

Perhaps there is a bug specific to Windows or Edge. Are there any errors reported in your browser console?

@Bryan We tested on Windows + Chrome, Windows + Firefox and Linux Firefox. They all show the same result (no border and background colour). And there is no error displayed on the browser console.

This is the script copied from the link above:

from bokeh.plotting import figure, output_file, show

from bokeh.io import save

from bokeh.layouts import column

from bokeh.models import Div, Paragraph

from bokeh.util.browser import view

template = """

{% block postamble %}

<style>

.bk.custom {

border-radius: 0.5em;

padding: 1em;

}

.bk.custom-1 {

border: 3px solid #2397D8;

}

.bk.custom-2 {

border: 3px solid #14999A;

background-color: whitesmoke;

}

</style>

{% endblock %}

"""

p = Paragraph(text="The divs below were configured with additional css_classes:")

div1 = Div(text="""

<p> This Bokeh Div adds the style classes:<p>

<pre>

.bk.custom {

}

.bk.custom-1 {

border: 3px solid #2397D8;

}

</pre>

""")

div1.css_classes = ["custom", "custom-1"]

div2 = Div(text="""

<p> This Bokeh Div adds the style classes:<p>

<pre>

.bk.custom {

}

.bk.custom-2 {

border: 3px solid #14999A;

background-color: whitesmoke;

}

</pre>

""")

div2.css_classes = ["custom", "custom-2"]

#output_file("css_classes.html", title="css_classes", mode='inline')

#show(column(p, div1, div2), template=template)

save(column(p, div1, div2), template=template)

view("css_classes.html", new='tab')

Unfortunately I cannot attach the html file produce by the script.
I copied the exact code in the link above. Did I need to change anything?
I am quite supprise that it does not work neither o Windows and Linux!

I had a closer look to the browser (Edge) console outputs and there are the following issues:

I am not sure if it is the problem.

@Gilles The code above also functions as expected for me on ubuntu 20.04 with Bokeh 2.3.2:

I’ll try Windows later if I have time, but I’m not really sure what to suggest to you, at this point.

@Gilles this also works for me on Win10 / Edge with Bokeh 2.3.2

I’m not sure what but I am fairly certain whatever issue you are seeing is somehow specific to the environment you are in.

@Bryan ok I have updated my bokeh from 2.31 to 2.3.2 and it looks ok.
Before closing this discussion I would like to make it work for my original issue (change font-size and front-colour of the labels of the checkboxgroup widgets).

Thanks for your help. I let you know how I went this the checkboxgroup widgets

@Bryan I get my original issue sorted using the property (as you mentioned above) “.css_classes” of the checkboxgroup widgets.

Thanks a lot.
Gilles

1 Like

@Bryan, how can I achieve this solution on a bokeh server? I need to set this template after the server has started (on the fly). The “Document” class has a property “Template”, can it be used for that purpose? Or this property is set when the server fired up using the index.html file in the folder Template?

This is not possible, I am afraid. The template is rendered (once) when the session is opened.

@Bryan

The “css_classes.py” example does not seem to work anymore with Bokeh 3.1.0. I cannot find an updated version of this file for 3.1.0.

Can you please advise if this script should still work in Bokeh 3.1.0. If it does not , would it be possible to have an updated example.

Thanks
Gilles

I just went through this process as well → Conditional Colouring of Checkbox Group background - #7 by gmerritt123 There are some working examples in here. For the most part I think the new set up (using stylesheet models) is a lot nicer but yeah will take a bit of work to bring my existing stuff in line with it.

1 Like

@gmerritt123 , I tried to follow the examples you mentioned but I cannot achieve what I like to. I would like to change the colour of the “checkboxgroup” text (label). Have you got any idea how I could achieve it.
Thanks

from bokeh.models import CheckboxGroup, Slider
from bokeh.models import InlineStyleSheet
from bokeh.plotting import save

cbgss = InlineStyleSheet(css="div.bk-input-group{color: red; }")
cbg = CheckboxGroup(labels = ['Here','It is','Red'],active=[0,1,2]
                    ,stylesheets=[cbgss]
                    )
save(cbg,r'C:\Projects\testcb.html')
1 Like

Thanks @gmerritt123 .
Got it working now.